Wright Bros Promotion Review Board

Started by blackbird, July 19, 2012, 12:51:19 PM

blackbird

Does anyone know the type of questions staff asks during the Wright Bros Review Board?

Garibaldi

Promotion Review Board? I admit, it's been a while since I was in cadet programs, but I thought promotion and review boards had been outlawed. We had them when I was a cadet (09065) but as far as I know, they are verboten. I could be wrong.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

CAPR 52-16, 5-2

d. Promotion Boards. Although not required, squadrons may hold promotion boards (sometimes called boards of review), to help the commander decide if cadets are ready to accept the increased responsibilities that come with their promotions. If used, promotion boards must meet the following criteria:
(1) A completed CAPF 50 must serve as the promotion board's basis for discussion.
(2) Promotion boards will not re-test cadets on material they already passed through achievement tests.
(3) Commanders must apply local promotion board policies consistently, with all cadets being subject to the same process.

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluelakes 13

When I was unit commander we had a promotion board for EVERY promotion.  I would find it a dis-service to the cadet if we did not have one.  We covered their progress and expectations.  For the Wright Brothers, major emphasis would be on what it means to be an NCO and what your expectations would be.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on July 19, 2012, 02:59:47 PM
When I was unit commander we had a promotion board for EVERY promotion.  I would find it a dis-service to the cadet if we did not have one.  We covered their progress and expectations.  For the Wright Brothers, major emphasis would be on what it means to be an NCO and what your expectations would be.

That's exactly the reason we had them WIWAC. I was considered too immature to hold the grade of Cadet Sergeant (now C/SrA), and I went through 2 boards before they relented. When I became a senior, I was told that the boards were too...strict, or some other namby-pamby nonsense about not giving a cadet a sense of self-worth; that he/she had taken the tests and therefore deserved the grade. That's why I saw numerous cadet officers at young ages who hadn't the maturity or experience to be a leader. In fact, the DCC who ran me out of my position ramrodded her 12 year old daughter through the ranks and she became the youngest Spaatz recipient ever at 14. Every test was 100%, every SDA was right on. I'm not saying there was any sort of nepotism, but her mother had access to all the tests when she was testing officer, except for the ones sent to the unit by National. She had all the leadership qualities of a lump of moldy cheese.

I guess my point is that I love the idea. Like I said, it's been years since I was in cadet programs but boy do we need promo boards. I see far too many "shake-and-bakes" that don't know a BDU from an ear bud.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Sgt. Fischer

I didn't have one for my wright brothers. But, I had one for my most recent promotion, and the questions were pretty easy. He just asked questions such as: Why do you think I should promote you? How have you demonstrated the core values? When have you demonstrated integrity? stuff like that!  :D

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Danger

Promotion Review Boards are only required for "Milestone" Achievements.
"Never take anything too seriously."

ßτε

Promotion Boards aren't required for Milestones either.

A CAPF 50-? evaluation is required once per phase, but it doesn't require a promotion board and it can be completed anytime during the phase, not just for the milestone.

However, a commander can require a promotion board for every achievement and/or every milestone.

Eclipse

Quote from: Danger on July 19, 2012, 04:36:33 PM
Promotion Review Boards are only required for "Milestone" Achievements.

Review boards are not required for any promotion, cadet or senior.

CAPR 52-16, 5-2

d. Promotion Boards. Although not required, squadrons may hold promotion boards (sometimes called boards of review),

"That Others May Zoom"

blackbird

Thanks for the feedback! We have Promotion Review Boards for every achievemnt at our squadron, but I didn't know if there was something... special... about the milestone boards.