Armed Drill Expedition

Started by shlebz, February 07, 2012, 07:48:59 PM

shlebz

I am working on drilling with a rifle,like you see that actual AF Honor Guard do when they spin/twirl/toss the rifle. Right now i am watching movies on YouTube and teaching myself by that. Would anybody have any other resources/hints/tips on this?

**this has nothing to do with CAP. I was just hoping that someone on this forum would have tips/hints as to how to drill with a rifle and have don it before.**
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Extremepredjudice

Technically it does have to do with CAP. CAP honor guards basically do armed exhibition.

Just google/youtube tutorials... There is a bunch of stuff.. Maybe get with a JROTC cadet and have them teach you some stuff.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

davidsinn

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 07, 2012, 08:47:56 PM
Technically it does have to do with CAP. CAP honor guards basically do armed exhibition.

Just google/youtube tutorials... There is a bunch of stuff.. Maybe get with a JROTC cadet and have them teach you some stuff.

CAP does not do spins. They only carry and do very basic maneuvers.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

How many Sherpas does an Armed Drill Expedition generally need?

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

starshippe

woulda been nice to have had a camera set up just for that drill team.

bill

ol'fido

Just please don't do like the color guard team I saw a few years ago that walked into the terminal at DuPage airport with uncased M-1 Garands(demilled real ones and not the obvious fakes) during the annual CG Competition.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

davidsinn

Quote from: ol'fido on February 08, 2012, 01:00:58 AM
Just please don't do like the color guard team I saw a few years ago that walked into the terminal at DuPage airport with uncased M-1 Garands(demilled real ones and not the obvious fakes) during the annual CG Competition.

Bet that gave the JBT TSOs a pretty high pucker factor.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

shlebz

Quote from: davidsinn on February 07, 2012, 10:28:29 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 07, 2012, 09:35:32 PM
3rd Year CAP Honor Guard Students

Learn something new everyday.
same, i never knew CAP HG were allowed to do armed drill more than the basic movements.Thats soo cool!
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2012, 10:18:16 PM
How many Sherpas does an Armed Drill Expedition generally need?
I was waiting for somebody to say something...
No longer active on CAP talk

spaatzmom

Quote from: shlebz on February 08, 2012, 02:02:35 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 07, 2012, 10:28:29 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 07, 2012, 09:35:32 PM
3rd Year CAP Honor Guard Students

Learn something new everyday.
same, i never knew CAP HG were allowed to do armed drill more than the basic movements.Thats soo cool!

This is why going to NHGA is beneficial.  The USAF, Presidential Unit, Honor Guard comes to the academy to train the cadets in the proper moves.  The experience is one of a kind and by the time you finish the 3 year program, you will have a sound background in all aspects of honor guard duties.  Yes, it is expensive, but it is 2 weeks not 1 each summer and other NCSA's are raising their prices each year. 

Training yourself is not the best idea as you can train incorrectly and then need to relearn everything you have done on your own.  If you cannot attend NHGA , see if a local HG is being trained by an AF base HG and go there.  Good luck.

abdsp51

Alot of local AF Base Honor Guards these days focus more on Color Guards, retirements and funerals.  And if they are like the unit here their duty week/weekends have more funerals than anything.  The USAF Honor Guard is pretty much the exhibition drill team of the AF theses days.

PA Guy

Learn the basic Manual of Arms first since all the fancy stuff comes from that foundation.  If you can't do simple stuff like left/right shoulder arms, port arms perfectly you can spin all you want and it will still look like a cluster. 

A friend and fellow SM did a tour on the USMC Silent Drill Team.  He said he practiced approx. 6 hrs a day for 6 mos before he was allowed to participate in an exhibition.  Just something to think about.

AngelWings

I hate to be the nerd to notice this, but the background music was the original BGM for Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

bassque

Interestingly enough, if you want to learn how to spin a rifle, ask you High School band director.  The marching band color guards do more with those things than most of the military (mostly because they aren't bound to discipline and can be very art-focued)  But basic spins most band color guard members can teach you. 

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Littleguy on February 08, 2012, 08:17:18 PM
I hate to be the nerd to notice this, but the background music was the original BGM for Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Something tells me the cadets picked their own music to perform to...

Found another performance by UTWG
Utah Wing Honor Guard

SarDragon

Pretty good. Too much standing still, though.

I was an alternate for these guys during my freshman year at Rutgers University ('67-'68).

Here are some short videos of their work.

http://www.queensguard-rutgers.org/1.swf - Left French, a column movement back into the line of march
http://www.queensguard-rutgers.org/2.swf - after my time; don't know the name
http://www.queensguard-rutgers.org/3.swf - after my time, probably a transition movement
http://www.queensguard-rutgers.org/7.swf - Suicide, part 1
http://www.queensguard-rutgers.org/4.swf - Suicide, part 2
http://www.queensguard-rutgers.org/5.swf - after my time; don't know the name
http://www.queensguard-rutgers.org/6.swf - Ripple Line

The Rifle
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spaatzmom

Quote from: bassque on February 09, 2012, 01:08:16 AM
Interestingly enough, if you want to learn how to spin a rifle, ask you High School band director.  The marching band color guards do more with those things than most of the military (mostly because they aren't bound to discipline and can be very art-focued)  But basic spins most band color guard members can teach you.

Unfortunately too many of these teams add their own little flourishes to the movements or just completely make up their own.  CAP Honor Guards are to use those movements approved by the AF HG.

bassque

Quote from: spaatzmom on February 09, 2012, 01:23:58 PM

Unfortunately too many of these teams add their own little flourishes to the movements or just completely make up their own.  CAP Honor Guards are to use those movements approved by the AF HG.

True, they incorporate dance and such into the movements but they do know how to do the basics like drop spins and such and are good for those.  The more "technical" stuff that AF HG requires would be built on those foundations.