Air Force Marathon History and Heritage Series

Started by flyboy53, December 07, 2021, 02:22:36 PM

flyboy53

Not sure why this hasn't already been posted. The Air Force Marathon is honoring the CAP next month by featuring a CAP aircraft as part of the virtual History and Heritage Series. Its being done in conjunction with the 80th anniversary.

Check this out:

https://www.usafmarathon.com/virtual-series-2022/

https://www.facebook.com/AirForceMarathon/

You can register for the 5K, 10K, half or full.

Maybe we senior members can show the cadets we have what it takes...

etodd

Quote from: flyboy53 on December 07, 2021, 02:22:36 PMMaybe we senior members can show the cadets we have what it takes...

Please, most CAP Seniors are obese senior citizens with bad knees and backs. (Me)

SAR missions down, so lets do blood drives and 5k runs for publicity? Is this the new CAP?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Quote from: etodd on December 07, 2021, 08:25:10 PM
Quote from: flyboy53 on December 07, 2021, 02:22:36 PMMaybe we senior members can show the cadets we have what it takes...

Please, most CAP Seniors are obese senior citizens with bad knees and backs. (Me)

SAR missions down, so lets do blood drives and 5k runs for publicity? Is this the new CAP?

There something wrong with celebrating history and heritage? Or are you just pissy that this won't give you another way to fly for free? God forbid CAP and/or big blue do anything that doesn't directly increase your ability to keep your admittedly obese derriere in a cockpit for free. Maybe if you put in the work to fit in the AF style uniforms you wouldn't have as much pain in your knees and back AND you might feel less left out and stop being such a whiny hater.

I agree that we need to find new and innovative ways for CAP to support the AF and other customers, but every post you make seems to piss on the military aspects of CAP. If you don't like the military aspect then maybe you shouldn't have joined a paramilitary organization. It comes across as sour grapes that you can't fit in with the uniformed types with a thin veneer of operational relevance as justification for your crying.

We have always had a military affiliation and it is an integral part of our organizational ethos. We have always been proud of and made efforts to remain close to our Air Force family. This recognition of our 80th anniversary by the AF Marathon is a nice bit of PR for us and I'm happy that someone involved with it recognizes the contribution made by our members. Pound sand with your negative attitude.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

baronet68

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on December 07, 2021, 09:01:12 PM...Maybe if you put in the work to fit in the AF style uniforms you wouldn't have as much pain in your knees and back AND you might feel less left out and stop being such a whiny hater.

One thing to remember; CAP was originally founded and staffed by people who were "4-F" or otherwise unfit for military service.  Those people were too small, too large, too old, too young, too many fingers, not enough toes, or unfit due to any of a thousand other mundane to serious reasons like flat feet, blindness, deafness, or other chronic health conditions.  That diversity of ability continues to be reflected in today's CAP and many missions are accomplished by both our "fit" and "unfit" members.

By the way, I think it's cool that a CAP plane is in this series.  I did one of these races last year and will probably do this one too, just for the medal.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Quote from: baronet68 on December 07, 2021, 09:32:15 PM
Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on December 07, 2021, 09:01:12 PM...Maybe if you put in the work to fit in the AF style uniforms you wouldn't have as much pain in your knees and back AND you might feel less left out and stop being such a whiny hater.

One thing to remember; CAP was originally founded and staffed by people who were "4-F" or otherwise unfit for military service.  Those people were too small, too large, too old, too young, too many fingers, not enough toes, or unfit due to any of a thousand other mundane to serious reasons like flat feet, blindness, deafness, or other chronic health conditions.  That diversity of ability continues to be reflected in today's CAP and many missions are accomplished by both our "fit" and "unfit" members.

By the way, I think it's cool that a CAP plane is in this series.  I did one of these races last year and will probably do this one too, just for the medal.

Yes, and I agree that the inclusivity is important. My issue here is the smarmy disdain for the military aspect of CAP, something those founding members found so important that they established CAP along military lines. This member continually rags on it and uses it as a punchline. His arrogant sarcasm about anything not getting him in an airplane longer is corrosive and reeks of insecurity.

If an overweight, bearded, infirm, etc member can show up and act like a team player, with whatever form of authorized uniform they wear looking squared away and be a value added part of the unit then they'll get no gripe from me. If they're snarky, arrogant or corrosive to the team then I'll have something to say.

Show up on time, in an appropriate uniform, with a good attitude and conduct yourself as a professional. After that, it's technique only.😎
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

THRAWN

Quote from: etodd on December 07, 2021, 08:25:10 PM

Speak for yourself, and maybe those around you.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spam

Well, I'm not THAT old, my feet aren't flat, I still have all 21 appendages I was issued, and Handsome now has me fired up. 

So with my surgeries behind me now, I am going to lace them up and start hitting the pavement again down here. I may not ever complete a marathon or make uniform weight but by Chesty, you've got me going again Walt. Real message to Garcia time there Sir.

R/s
Spam

PS if I stroke out from the stupid vax, NiN you get my Jetstream.

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Quote from: Spam on December 08, 2021, 01:19:22 AMWell, I'm not THAT old, my feet aren't flat, I still have all 21 appendages I was issued, and Handsome now has me fired up.

So with my surgeries behind me now, I am going to lace them up and start hitting the pavement again down here. I may not ever complete a marathon or make uniform weight but by Chesty, you've got me going again Walt. Real message to Garcia time there Sir.

R/s
Spam

PS if I stroke out from the stupid vax, NiN you get my Jetstream.

'rah!

Enjoy the running, sir! Jeez, I haven't even thought of Message to Garcia in a long time. I'm going to hit it harder myself.

Following the good Major's example, I think I'll sign up for this virtual race deal too. If nothing is else, I'll be backing up my own words with action.🏃🏻‍♂️
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

etodd

Quote from: THRAWN on December 07, 2021, 10:00:28 PMSpeak for yourself, and maybe those around you.

Pick most any CAP event online, and look at the majority of Senior members in the photos. You are the exception, not by any means the average.

etodd

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on December 07, 2021, 09:01:12 PMOr are you just pissy that this won't give you another way to fly for free? God forbid CAP and/or big blue do anything that doesn't directly increase your ability to keep your admittedly obese derriere in a cockpit for free.

Thats funny.  I have over 225 C-12 self-pay hours in CAP airplanes. Very few members make that kind of investment. I leave others to get the free rides. :)

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Quote from: etodd on December 08, 2021, 01:45:47 AM
Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on December 07, 2021, 09:01:12 PMOr are you just pissy that this won't give you another way to fly for free? God forbid CAP and/or big blue do anything that doesn't directly increase your ability to keep your admittedly obese derriere in a cockpit for free.

Thats funny.  I have over 225 C-12 self-pay hours in CAP airplanes. Very few members make that kind of investment. I leave others to get the free rides. :)

I don't give a flip if you have 10,000 hours and if that's all you took from that post, you're either being selectively dense or you really are as much of a jerk as I think you are. Your disdain for everything about CAP that isn't your personal interest is evident in every post you make. You have no respect for the very ethos of the organization you chose to serve,just plenty of opinions about how CAP should change to be the way etodd thinks it should be. You think CAP should be nothing but an aviation based emergency services organization. We get it.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

etodd

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on December 08, 2021, 01:53:54 AMYou think CAP should be nothing but an aviation based emergency services organization.

Not at all. My prediction is the planes will be gone in 10 years from dis-use.  I think our future is the Cadet program as primary. Us old-timers have had our day in the sun. The new CAP is coming ...

NIN

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on December 08, 2021, 01:41:42 AM'rah!

Enjoy the running, sir! Jeez, I haven't even thought of Message to Garcia in a long time. I'm going to hit it harder myself.

Following the good Major's example, I think I'll sign up for this virtual race deal too. If nothing is else, I'll be backing up my own words with action.🏃🏻‍♂️

You guys are gonna shame me into this before too long..
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

HandsomeWalt_USMC

We'll do a show off your AFM CAP Anniversary Medal thread!!

Which reminds me, sir, I still need to send you that photo from the NER Conference. I'll get that out tomorrow!
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

baronet68

Quote from: NIN on December 08, 2021, 02:35:16 AM

Well, I'm registered for the 5k 😎😋
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

PHall

Quote from: baronet68 on December 08, 2021, 07:30:57 AM

Well, I'm registered for the 5k 😎😋

Should we alert AMR (American Medical Response), i.e. the ambulance?

LSThiker

Well I got bored and decided to sign up for the half marathon.  I did USAF half marathon last year along with the Army 10-miler.  Decided that I might as well do it again this year.

flyboy53

So congrats, gang. This event is almost sold out.

Hope a lot of you will be joining my wife and me. We're usually the first ones on the YMCA track in winter -- 5 a.m.

I commend you for having the courage to address your wellness and be a positive example for cadets.

Also, sign ups begin for the 26th Air Force Marathon on January 1st.

Please browse:

https://www.usafmarathon.com/

Just like last year, there may be ample opportunities to volunteer if you feel so inclined.

Capt Thompson

I almost forgot about this, I signed up when they first mentioned it in PROPS. Won't be doing a marathon anytime soon so I'll start with the 5k and work from there.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

flyboy53

Quote from: Capt Thompson on December 29, 2021, 03:52:57 PMI almost forgot about this, I signed up when they first mentioned it in PROPS. Won't be doing a marathon anytime soon so I'll start with the 5k and work from there.

5K is a little more than three miles. That's an excellent start, given that the old Air Force PT standards called for walking three miles in 44 minutes.

I'm always humbled when I do this. You compete with people with prosthetic legs, are in adaptive wheelchairs, wounded warriors, or in one case someone who was blind, and you say to yourself, so what's my problem!

Good Luck to you!