Foreflight 5.4 is Out...With CAP SAR features

Started by JeffDG, September 18, 2013, 06:15:10 PM

JeffDG

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

I'm impressed... some minor issues but a massive kudos to ForeFlight  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Below is a creeping line search from KOAK East, with CAP Grid overlays.

JeffDG

JeffDG

The Grid Search that I spend 20 minutes planning on Saturday, it did it in about 30 seconds, including computing the flight time and fuel to search the grid!

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: JeffDG on September 18, 2013, 06:24:57 PM
The Grid Search that I spend 20 minutes planning on Saturday, it did it in about 30 seconds, including computing the flight time and fuel to search the grid!

ForeFlight developers, I love you  :o :o

JeffDG

Quote from: Mission Pilot on September 18, 2013, 06:31:15 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on September 18, 2013, 06:24:57 PM

ForeFlight developers, I love you  :o :o
+1

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

I also like the annotation feature.  Here is a common approach that I fly that I have started annotating with a changed and highlighted DA.  And no I'm not flying and doing this at the same time, my office just happens to be on an extended missed :)

Paradoc

Came here to post this but you beat me to it!  I've been pestering Foreflight developers via email for a couple of years (as I suspect others have) and nice to see them implement yet another feature that has been requested!

I've been experimenting today and for first release it is very good.  It supports both "traditional" as well as "new" style CAP grid designators.  Unlike the G1000 software, you can plan grid search or enter a grid as a destination (eg enter "CAP@SLC120C" will generate a waypoint in your flight plan for Salt Lake Grid 120 C).  More importantly the grids are georeferenced to actual current sectional charts, and it shows location of your aircraft (if you have iPad with GPS, or an external GPS receiver).

Version 5.4 also lets you make annotations on the maps in real time.  So you can make notes to yourself without having to leave the application.

Another nice feature... you can email yourself (or your IC) a copy of the flight plan that includes lat/long for each waypoint in your grid and an overview map of the search pattern.

Now just waiting for the FAA to implement ADS-B in Wyoming.  We are the ONLY state that doesn't have ANY ADS-B coverage yet.  Once we get ADS-B I may need to spring for the Stratus receiver.   8)

Way to go Foreflight!   :clap:
-----------------
Capt Jim Little Jr.
CAP MP
FAA Senior Medical Examiner
Family Physician
Wyoming Wing Medical Officer

BHartman007

Is the grid feature only on the pro version, too?

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

JeffDG

Quote from: BHartman007 on September 19, 2013, 01:26:56 AM
Is the grid feature only on the pro version, too?
I have the standard (so no geo-referenced plates), and the grids work fantastic.

Storm Chaser

What type of GPS are you using? I have an iPad mini and was considering a Bluetooth one, but I'm concern about signal lost and battery life. Any recommendations?

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 20, 2013, 05:13:35 PM
What type of GPS are you using? I have an iPad mini and was considering a Bluetooth one, but I'm concern about signal lost and battery life. Any recommendations?
I have Verizon and the built-in GPS is great.

JeffDG

I use the BadElf 1000 plug in external (iPad 2 WiFi)...works fantastically.

Storm Chaser

My iPad is WiFi only and the BadElf 1000 is not compatible with the iPad mini. I'm looking for either a Bluetooth or Lightning connector alternative.

brad.ingersoll

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 20, 2013, 11:12:35 PM
My iPad is WiFi only and the BadElf 1000 is not compatible with the iPad mini. I'm looking for either a Bluetooth or Lightning connector alternative.

Not completely true! I had a Bad Elf 1000 and bought the 30 pin to lightning adapter: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

Works like a charm! I can even charge/plug in my iPad mini using a standard mini USB cable through the Bad Elf. It's not completely ideal, but it was cheaper than a new GPS for now.

BHartman007

I have a wifi only ipad 4 with a Dual xgps 150.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

SunDog

I've been using a Dual with my iPad, must be well over a year now.  The Dual battery life hasn't been an issue - it lasts longer than the iPad. And you can toss the Dual up on the glareshield (bluetooth connection) and forget about it - no plug-in connection hassle a'la Elf.

Actually, I did forget about it once, and another pilot had to mail it back to me.

I use the geo-referenced approach plates, and they work out OK, but the scale isn't as fine  as the panel mounts - you can be a bit farther off than you would like, if you relied on the aircraft symbol for position, but it is really nice for situational awareness.

As someone mentioned, either here or on the other iPad thread, ForeFlight/iPad isn't too good for marking position via finger touch - best to rely on the panel mount for that.

Anyway, this is light years better than anything else we have in CAP airplanes, except maybe the old GX55/60 boxes with the patterns built in.

Mustang

Light years better? This is cool and all, but nothing the G1000 SAR functionality can't do.

No grids, you say? No biggie. Searching grids is old school, searching Air Search Area Definition (ASAD) boxes is new school.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

JeffDG

Quote from: Mustang on October 25, 2013, 07:12:16 AM
Light years better? This is cool and all, but nothing the G1000 SAR functionality can't do.

No grids, you say? No biggie. Searching grids is old school, searching Air Search Area Definition (ASAD) boxes is new school.
And what about the A/C without the G1000, or the G1000s without SAR functionality?

This is a nice cheap way to get that functionality.

JeffDG

Latest update now lets you send routes between two iPads connected to the same WiFi.

So now, if I'm running the Planning Section, I can build up a search plan, and just fire it to the MO nice and quick!