Main Menu

Promotion to 1st Lt

Started by 41839j, December 04, 2011, 04:25:11 AM

davidsinn

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 05, 2011, 08:46:14 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 05, 2011, 04:19:47 PM
Quote from: 41839j on December 05, 2011, 03:58:00 PM
Yes, i do have the technician rating.  My specialty track is logiistics and as the Supply Officer, I am active in the unit and take my postion seriously.

Not particularly encouraged by the other posts.  It took three or four emails and over a month to get the Davis posted on eservices.  I kind of hate to be a pain and start requesting things again.  I will look into eservices, but am likely to just let this go for awhile.  You would think that they would want to promote and award those who have earned/deserved it.  i feel kind of foolish and superficial having to ask for it.

The Davis and all other levels, for some stupid reason, still requires actual paper be sent up. A duty performance promotion(what you're going for) only requires a few minutes in eServices. You commander is the approving authority for 1st Lt so it should take less than five minutes start to finish.

Level 1 and Level 2 do not require “actual paper” to be sent anywhere.

Fill out the Form 11 or Form 24 respectively, save as a PDF and email to lmmeforms – no signatures required when transmitted from the correct email address.

These are done at the squadron level. If the OP is having issues, that’s where the problem lies. I’ve never had NHQ take longer than 48 hours to process properly submitted requests.

That is still paperwork vs just hitting submit on a webform inside eServices. That is a joke in the 21st century.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JeffDG

Quote from: davidsinn on December 05, 2011, 09:29:05 PM
Yes, i do have the technician rating.  My specialty track is logiistics and as the Supply Officer, I am active in the unit and take my postion seriously.

Not particularly encouraged by the other posts.  It took three or four emails and over a month to get the Davis posted on eservices.  I kind of hate to be a pain and start requesting things again.  I will look into eservices, but am likely to just let this go for awhile.  You would think that they would want to promote and award those who have earned/deserved it.  i feel kind of foolish and superficial having to ask for it.

The Davis and all other levels, for some stupid reason, still requires actual paper be sent up. A duty performance promotion(what you're going for) only requires a few minutes in eServices. You commander is the approving authority for 1st Lt so it should take less than five minutes start to finish.

Level 1 and Level 2 do not require "actual paper" to be sent anywhere.

Fill out the Form 11 or Form 24 respectively, save as a PDF and email to lmmeforms – no signatures required when transmitted from the correct email address.

These are done at the squadron level. If the OP is having issues, that's where the problem lies. I've never had NHQ take longer than 48 hours to process properly submitted requests.

That is still paperwork vs just hitting submit on a webform inside eServices. That is a joke in the 21st century.

Sometimes a little effort is not a bad thing.  Slows down the decision cycle and encourages people to think rather than just mindlessly clicking buttons.

I swear that my company's financial approval process is highly manual for just this reason.  Force people to stop and think before spending money.  If it's not worth a few minutes worth of paperwork at each level, then maybe, just maybe, it's not worth spending a quarter-mil on.

Spaceman3750

I dunno, a little paper with a little bit of ink signature might not be a bad thing. The authority of CAP members has just about been reduced to which buttons we do and don't have on some website - actually putting a signature on paper is kind of refreshing.

flyboy53

I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble, but remember that promotions on the basis of the minimum requirements as specified by the Reg are not always automatic. It's possible that the commander may initiate your promotion electronically on the date you're eligible, but be prepared if it doesn't happen right away. I would make sure that the powers that be in your squadron are aware of your desire to be promoted and then I wish you good luck.

There are points in my CAP career that promotions came very slowly. I think I was nine years as a first lieutenant. Captain to major was quick, but then I was four years as a major before I put on lieutenant colonel. At that point I had 35 years in service, if you include the five years I served as a cadet and some breaks in service.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 05, 2011, 11:29:27 PM...I was four years as a major before I put on lieutenant colonel.

Um...

"That Others May Zoom"

lowdown

Do you have level two done?  If your unsure go to: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_university/level_ii_technical_training.cfm And that should answer your question.

lowdown

Sounds like your Squadron needs a PD Officer to keep on top of things remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil dont be discouraged im sure it isnt personal
Quote from: davidsinn on December 05, 2011, 09:29:05 PM

Level 1 and Level 2 do not require "actual paper" to be sent anywhere.

These are done at the squadron level. If the OP is having issues, that's where the problem lies. I've never had NHQ take longer than 48 hours to process properly submitted requests.

ProdigalJim

This whole thread does raise the question, however, about the varying levels of "seriousness" with which awards, decorations and promotions are taken within different squadrons. My *sense*, based on observations of others from other units (apart from the two in which I have been a member), is that the "flying club" units are less interested in promotions, awards and such, and that individuals in those types of units may find less interest from above in keeping up with that sort of administrative duty.

Shouldn't promotion happen more or less in accord with the program outlined in the CAPR50-17, rather than the individual initiative (or disinterest) of PDs or CCs? I mean, it seems weird to me that one's odds of promotion could depend so heavily on the unit one is in, rather than the activities one participates in, the training one has received, and the performance of that person in his/her squadron job.

I get that the CC gets to decide whether someone is a contributor or a barnacle...that's expected and encouraged. But it just seems that, for example, rather than having to go into eServices and run the PD report periodically, it would be good if eServices pinged PDs and CCs (and deputy CCs, for that matter), saying "Hey, these five individuals in your unit would appear to be ready for promotion." Just a thought...
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

tsrup

Quote from: ProdigalJim on December 06, 2011, 01:22:25 AM
This whole thread does raise the question, however, about the varying levels of "seriousness" with which awards, decorations and promotions are taken within different squadrons. My *sense*, based on observations of others from other units (apart from the two in which I have been a member), is that the "flying club" units are less interested in promotions, awards and such, and that individuals in those types of units may find less interest from above in keeping up with that sort of administrative duty.

Shouldn't promotion happen more or less in accord with the program outlined in the CAPR50-17, rather than the individual initiative (or disinterest) of PDs or CCs? I mean, it seems weird to me that one's odds of promotion could depend so heavily on the unit one is in, rather than the activities one participates in, the training one has received, and the performance of that person in his/her squadron job.

I get that the CC gets to decide whether someone is a contributor or a barnacle...that's expected and encouraged. But it just seems that, for example, rather than having to go into eServices and run the PD report periodically, it would be good if eServices pinged PDs and CCs (and deputy CCs, for that matter), saying "Hey, these five individuals in your unit would appear to be ready for promotion." Just a thought...

It is not the burden of the CC's or PDO's or (eServices for that matter) to remember when you are eligible for promotion.
While both are there to facilitate you completing your requirements, the burden is on the member his/her-self to see that they get promoted.  A little initiative never hurt anyone.

If the PDO doesn't have a clue on what your requirements are, there's a regulation for that.
If the CC is blocking your promotion without satisfactory explanation, there is a next higher level in the chain of command for that. 

When it was time for me to put on Captain, I was bugging my CC all the time about getting it done, and to be honest, I was the first duty performance promotion he had ever put in, so we looked it up and learned the process together as we went.  And then I still had to wait for a month or so for wing approval.  It is what it is, and I'm not complaining about it.

All of this requires some level of effort on your part.  And you know what?  Sometimes there are people out there that meet the requirements on paper and don't get promoted, (or at least I hope there are).  It's part of the process that ensures that those with the ability to lead are at the top, and for every ineffective leader that you can imagine, there was a CC who just checked the boxes for their promotion.

Paramedic
hang-around.

ProdigalJim

Quote from: tsrup on December 06, 2011, 01:49:35 AM

It is not the burden of the CC's or PDO's or (eServices for that matter) to remember when you are eligible for promotion.
While both are there to facilitate you completing your requirements, the burden is on the member his/her-self to see that they get promoted.  A little initiative never hurt anyone.

Not suggesting that it is. All I'm saying is that I've observed that in some units there is almost a kind of peer pressure *not* to pursue promotions or awards. Not in my unit, but in some others I'm aware of. I wonder whether that was/is the case in the OP's unit.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

tsrup

Quote from: ProdigalJim on December 06, 2011, 02:03:13 AM
Quote from: tsrup on December 06, 2011, 01:49:35 AM

Not suggesting that it is. All I'm saying is that I've observed that in some units there is almost a kind of peer pressure *not* to pursue promotions or awards. Not in my unit, but in some others I'm aware of. I wonder whether that was/is the case in the OP's unit.

In those situations I would recommend gaining rank so that they are no longer your *peers*.  Then maybe the pressure will go the other way.  Or if they don't care to be promoted, I wouldn't care to promote them. 

Some people are just fine and comfortable being and accepting the responsibility of a 1st Lt. for their entire CAP career.  The problem arises when said people are given advance rank and duty position when they clearly aren't ready for it.

All that said, I think we're both on the same page. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

Quote from: ProdigalJim on December 06, 2011, 02:03:13 AMNot suggesting that it is. All I'm saying is that I've observed that in some units there is almost a kind of peer pressure *not* to pursue promotions or awards.

That's just silly...not unheard of, but silly.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 05, 2011, 11:29:27 PM
There are points in my CAP career that promotions came very slowly. I think I was nine years as a first lieutenant. Captain to major was quick, but then I was four years as a major before I put on lieutenant colonel.

Minimum time between Major and LtCol is 4 years.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member