Rolling over to the SM Side

Started by Майор Хаткевич, July 30, 2010, 02:33:04 PM

ßτε

Quote from: spacecommand on July 31, 2010, 04:00:55 PM
I believe it is in CAPR 62-1
Since that is where I just looked, can you be more specific?

AlphaSigOU

Avoid getting placed into the '000' squadron or go into Patron status - the TIG clock stops while in Patron status; not sure if '000' does as well. Even though my current job keeps me from being active in my new squadron, I still remain an active, dues-paying member. If there's a way I can help out the squadron, even remotely, I'll be glad to help out.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 31, 2010, 04:29:02 PM
Avoid getting placed into the '000' squadron or go into Patron status - the TIG clock stops while in Patron status; not sure if '000' does as well. Even though my current job keeps me from being active in my new squadron, I still remain an active, dues-paying member. If there's a way I can help out the squadron, even remotely, I'll be glad to help out.

TIG does not stop in 000.

Which is fine if that's the case, however for anyone thinking about taking time away from CAP, 000 or patron are the only fair options to the unit CC and his staff, otherwise they have to maintain your jacket in accordance with the various regs, and your name will pop up every time there's a report run for various compliance issues.

Members willing to stay current on online tests and similar are generally not an issue.

In this case, we're encouraging this fine young man to make the senior transition, and lock in anything he is due and eligible for from his cadets days, and then change to patron.  That reduces the conversations on the far side, and means he can come back with a 2a, while
not being a PITA for the commander.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

^^^

Something I was considering anyway, since again, I'm not active while in College. The potential push for true representation (which I think should've been done a long time ago), is just a perfect kick in the pants to get it going.

Now, can I take the COBC as a Patron? If not, then I guess I'm SOL, since there's a backlog for what, close to a year now? (and why is that even the case with an ONLINE course, which potentially can be graded automatically?) SLS/CLC and TLC are in-person courses, and I might just as well wait to use them as "refreshers" when re-engaging.

Eclipse

No, OBC is only open to active members - its not something you really need for a few years, especially if you aren't going to be be active.

NHQ only purchased 180 licenses for the program, so that is their limit on who can be enrolled.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2010, 06:50:10 PM
No, OBC is only open to active members - its not something you really need for a few years, especially if you aren't going to be be active.

NHQ only purchased 180 licenses for the program, so that is their limit on who can be enrolled.

Thank you sir, that makes sense...

Still, considering there were folks who did the course in a few hours, giving people 6 or so weeks to do it obviously limits the pool.

spacecommand

Quote from: bte on July 31, 2010, 04:23:40 PM

Under "3. Required Program Criteria."
(2) New members will receive ORM familiarization training, which is included in the Level One Foundations Course.

The interesting part is "new members" and "which is included in the Level One Foundations Course.

I don't think a cadet moving up is considered a "new member" (not sure)
Though he or she is already exempt from taking the Foundations Course.

ßτε

Quote from: spacecommand on July 31, 2010, 07:42:10 PM
Quote from: bte on July 31, 2010, 04:23:40 PM

Under "3. Required Program Criteria."
(2) New members will receive ORM familiarization training, which is included in the Level One Foundations Course.

The interesting part is "new members" and "which is included in the Level One Foundations Course.

I don't think a cadet moving up is considered a "new member" (not sure)
Though he or she is already exempt from taking the Foundations Course.
The ORM familiarization training is part of the Policies module in the Level One Foundations Course.

I can see, however, that this can be understood as requiring ORM basic, but if ORM basic was required for Level I, it would be included like OPSEC and EO on the Level I webpage.

MSG Mac

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 31, 2010, 05:25:52 AM
Is this the EO "test/briefing"? https://tests.cap.af.mil/EO_Training/EOTraining.cfm

How to I substantiate doing it?

If you have access to CAP Reports under E-services it will print out a list of who in the unit has and hasn't completed EEO. Just have your CC print it out for proof.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

I'll check with him to make sure.

Just found a new cadet at my unit...just graduated from my Jr High, going to my High School this year. He's going to Graduate HS in '14, I'll be done with college in '12...time to roll over. XD

CAP.is.1337

I just went to the dark side earlier this month. In all honesty, I think going Senior early  should not be taken lightly. You can't rejoin as a cadet if you suddenly decide you want to go to a NCSA or some other activity. When I first joined 6 years ago, FO's were very few and far between. About two years ago, it seems their popularity exploded around here.

So, if you feel you are done with the Cadet program, then go right for the transfer. This thread has been pretty helpful, as I've been learning as I go along; my squadron hasn't had Cadet to Senior transfer in a long time, and I'm little rusty on the Senior PD regs.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

Майор Хаткевич

I joined at 13 in 2003. I'm now 20 in 2010, so I'll be aged-out by February, thus no NCSAs. Either way, college stole my time for the last two years.

CAP.is.1337

I aged out two weeks after my fourth encampment. Very fitting end to a Cadet career, IMHO. I do wish I had made it to more NCSA's, though.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

Майор Хаткевич

It appears that all that's needed for Level 2 is Technician Rating (Earhart), CAP Officer Basic Course, and SLS.

The last two requirements can be completed online. Then just the wait time between 1st Lt and Captain.

QuoteFor Capt: Completion of all
requirements for Level II
(Certificate of Proficiency), 18
months time in grade as a 1st Lt.
For SFO: Completion of all
requirements for Level II
(Certificate of Proficiency), 12
months time in grade as a TFO.

I know there's less time spent between 18-21 compared to 21-RIP, but I wonder how the TIG gets added up with someone who say promotes to TFO at 20 and 2 months old. Do they just wait the two months that are left, 3 months (18/12 = 1.5), or now have to wait 8 months until the promotion to Capt as opposed to the 20 y.o. who becomes TFO/Capt at 21?

Spaceman3750

Your TIG as TFO and 1LT will be added together to get your total TIG to be credited towards your railroad tracks (I think).

Also, make sure that your group/wing doesn't convene a Captain board for Captain promotions. I've heard my group is, so it's not as easy as just doing your TIG and getting captain bars.

ßτε

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 01, 2010, 05:20:21 AM
I know there's less time spent between 18-21 compared to 21-RIP, but I wonder how the TIG gets added up with someone who say promotes to TFO at 20 and 2 months old. Do they just wait the two months that are left, 3 months (18/12 = 1.5), or now have to wait 8 months until the promotion to Capt as opposed to the 20 y.o. who becomes TFO/Capt at 21?
TIG as TFO counts toward promotion to 1st Lt, not Capt.
TIG as SFO counts toward promotion to Capt.

Since you cannot make SFO before you turn 21 and since your Earhart already will make you eligible for 1st Lt when you turn 21, TFO does nothing to decrease the time to make Capt. You will have to wait 18 months after being promoted to 1st Lt to be eligible for Capt. Also, you will not be eligible for promotion at age 21 if you are in Patron status.

MSG Mac

Quote from: bte on August 01, 2010, 02:38:33 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 01, 2010, 05:20:21 AM
TIG as TFO counts toward promotion to 1st Lt, not Capt.
TIG as SFO counts toward promotion to Capt.

Since you cannot make SFO before you turn 21 and since your Earhart already will make you eligible for 1st Lt when you turn 21, TFO does nothing to decrease the time to make Capt. You will have to wait 18 months after being promoted to 1st Lt to be eligible for Capt. Also, you will not be eligible for promotion at age 21 if you are in Patron status.

No! TIG as TFO can be combined with TIG as 1LT to complete the 18 months required for CPT. Check CAPR 35-5.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Spaceman3750

The equivalency is...

FO - 2lt
TFO - 1lt
SFO - Capt

Just so we're clear on that... So tig as tfo would count towards Capt. I'll get you a reg cote when I'm on my computer.

SJFedor

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 01, 2010, 08:07:22 PM
The equivalency is...

FO - 2lt
TFO - 1lt
SFO - Capt

Just so we're clear on that... So tig as tfo would count towards Capt. I'll get you a reg cote when I'm on my computer.

Not quite. For some reason, the reg doesn't draw a clear parallel between the two. It says you need 18months as SFO or 1st Lt before turning Captain.

As a former SFO, I remember having to navigate it.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ßτε

Quote from: CAPR 35-5 Figure 2
Promotion To          Minimum Skill Level I         Time-In-Grade
2d Lt                         Level 1                                 6 months as senior member
1st Lt                        Tech Rating                          12 months as 2d Lt or TFO
                                (Specialty Track)                   (or combination thereof)
Captain                      Level II                               18 months as 1st Lt or SFO
                                                                           (or combination thereof)
Major                         Level III                              3 years as Captain
Lt Col                         Level IV                              4 years as Major
Figure 2. Minimum Skill Levels and Time-In-Grade Requirements for Duty Performance Promotions.

I have checked CAPR 35-5. As you can see, TFO is not equivalent to 1st Lt in the sense that TFO TIG is applied to promotion to 1st Lt but not to Capt.

Perhaps before referring someone to a regulation, it would be prudent to double check said regulation.