Achievement 7 Drill Test

Started by VONL, September 08, 2015, 12:26:35 AM

VONL

I am about to take the Achievement 7 Drill test, and I do not know what I should study. I do not know the symbols for personnel placement, and I do not want to study based just off of a picture.

Thank you so much!!

Edit-- I am looking at the diagram on the drill manual and I cannot differentiate between some of the units, as the picture is too small. Is there an enlarged one?

MSG Mac

Speak to your Deputy Commander for Cadets. Leadership Officer, or a Cadet who has already done the test. They should be able to explain the symbols (which are in the drill manual), and show you what has to be done.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

VONL

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 08, 2015, 12:31:14 AM
Speak to your Deputy Commander for Cadets. Leadership Officer, or a Cadet who has already done the test. They should be able to explain the symbols (which are in the drill manual), and show you what has to be done.

I already have tried this, but I would like to have a way to study tonight, as I need to take the test tomorrow. Is there an online alternative?

abdsp51

Your best bet to pass is to read the manual and study it. 

MSG Mac

http://www.capmembers.com/file.cfm/media/blogs/documents/afman3622031_1C498C0D22132.pdf

This is the link to the AF Drill manual which if you had bothered to do your own research is on the Cadet Programs website under publications.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Toth

Just go take the test. It's not exactly (model) rocket science. Just study the picture and you'll be fine.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

kwe1009

The drill tests are not protected (except for Wright Brothers).  You can download and view them at http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPT_782_Drill_Test_FINAL_0D0A619D59581.pdf .

Eaker Guy

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 08, 2015, 05:53:36 PM
The drill tests are not protected (except for Wright Brothers).  You can download and view them at http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPT_782_Drill_Test_FINAL_0D0A619D59581.pdf .

+1

Know the material, even if you think you won't need it. Your squadron will be better off having an C/NCO that knows his/her drill. Who knows, showing effort at the unpleasant task may impress your cadet staff. It's always good to impress the cadet staff. :)

TheSkyHornet

In the future, I suggest you make sure you review the material well before the day prior to taking the test. This gives you time to not only study, and study some more, but to go and ask for assistance should you need it.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 10, 2015, 01:40:57 PM
In the future, I suggest you make sure you review the material well before the day prior to taking the test. This gives you time to not only study, and study some more, but to go and ask for assistance should you need it.

+1

kwe1009

Great advice.  I just had a cadet fail this very test last night and when I asked him what he studied he just said the AFMAN.  I asked why he didn't review the actual test and he said that he didn't know where to find it.  This was a little troubling since I send out an email at least 2 or 3 times each month about promotions and always include a link to Stripes to Diamonds.  This is where a cadet can find EVERYTHING regarding requirements for their next promotion, including the drill tests (except the drill for Wright Brothers of course).

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/stripes_to_diamonds

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 11, 2015, 05:32:59 PM

Great advice.  I just had a cadet fail this very test last night and when I asked him what he studied he just said the AFMAN.  I asked why he didn't review the actual test and he said that he didn't know where to find it.  This was a little troubling since I send out an email at least 2 or 3 times each month about promotions and always include a link to Stripes to Diamonds.  This is where a cadet can find EVERYTHING regarding requirements for their next promotion, including the drill tests (except the drill for Wright Brothers of course).

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/stripes_to_diamonds

Similar situation my way, different result.

Had a bunch of cadets due for drill tests a couple of weeks ago. One of them (C/TSgt in charge of cadet indoc) said he wanted to opt out and take it some other time. This was something I overheard, so I went over to him about a half hour later and asked him "What's going on with your drill test? Do you plan on taking it." He said he didn't study up for it and didn't feel comfortable with taking it not knowing what was going to be on it. I asked him why he didn't review the material, to which he responded that he didn't feel like it at the time but now he's nervous about it that it's facing him in reality. I told him to go ask CC for a copy of the drill test from the filing cabinet (his responsibility to initiate asking, taking ownership of not doing it in the first place), and told him to review the information. I said I appreciated the fact that he was honest about it, and admired the integrity he displayed, but suggested he review the material before making any further judgments about his abilities. I told him I wasn't going to force him to take a test he isn't sure he's ready for, and that it would be his decision in the end. He ended up opting to take the test before the end of the day and passed with very little issue. I told him next time he needs to be responsible enough to step up and review the material he has available, and ask questions early on if he has any problems, and especially to not assume he isn't go to pass a test and try to get out of doing it based on an assumption before even reading the criteria for passing. I closed it out with "I appreciate the integrity, but don't think it's a get out of jail free card the next time you want to half-a-- something. Just get it done."

Bottom line:
It's your responsibility to prepare yourself for your evaluations. Get it done, and don't expect last-minute help if you didn't put the reasonable initial effort in.

kwe1009

Definitely agree.  I do encourage my cadets to take the test (drill or written) even if they don't feel ready.  I tell them to use it as a study opportunity since there is no retribution for failing a test.  I have a great example of this from my last meeting too!  A cadet said he wasn't ready to take the Wright Brothers and I told him to give it a shot as a study tool.  He ended up missing 3 and was promoted to C/SSgt.  I have a lot of cadets that seem to have test anxiety but when they actually sit down and take it they almost always pass with room to spare. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 11, 2015, 08:35:33 PM
Definitely agree.  I do encourage my cadets to take the test (drill or written) even if they don't feel ready.  I tell them to use it as a study opportunity since there is no retribution for failing a test.  I have a great example of this from my last meeting too!  A cadet said he wasn't ready to take the Wright Brothers and I told him to give it a shot as a study tool.  He ended up missing 3 and was promoted to C/SSgt.  I have a lot of cadets that seem to have test anxiety but when they actually sit down and take it they almost always pass with room to spare.

I encourage any cadet to at least give it a try rather than calling it quits. It ain't over 'till it's over.

On that note, that is something I will bring up at a promotion board to say "I don't like the fact that you aren't preparing in advance for your tests" and "I don't like the fact that you decided to forfeit a test rather than give it a shot and identify your areas of improvement." To me, those issues bring to my attention that someone isn't going that mile to not only prepare but to learn from their mistakes and self-improve. It may not hold them back from a promotion, but I'll have the chance to say it for others to consider when it comes time to make the call on someone's progress.

As for anxiety, some of our cadets needed a good kick in the pants a few weeks back after we had some continual problems with communication and sharing information among the group. I think anxiety can be addressed by the same comment I made during a meeting with our cadet leadership: "There may come a time when someone's counting on you to show up and get the job done. How can you come to their aid if you don't step up and take on that responsibility?"