Do you have to shine boots for ABU's

Started by jfkspotting, July 21, 2017, 03:05:42 AM

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Paul Creed III on August 11, 2017, 09:55:13 PM
Quote from: Sapper168 on August 11, 2017, 09:34:37 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on August 10, 2017, 12:08:18 PM

If sage is ever authorized for our ABUs, they need to be for the sage flight suit as well - otherwise, members wearing Air Force-style field and flight uniforms would need two sets of boots.

Actually the sage green flight suit is not authorized for CAP.  However the Olive Drab flight suit is.

While 39-1 most certainly calls the USAF FDU "olive drab" (many times over), the "official" FDU and flight jacket on Vanguard is "sage green" and finding a Nomex "olive drab" FDU via a quick Google yielded no results.

Functionally they are identical. If I take 10 FDU's in various stages of use, wear, and fading, and ask you to tell me which ones are sage and which are OD, you probably won't get them all right. But back to the boots... lol
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Sapper168

If sage is ever authorized for our ABUs, they need to be for the sage flight suit as well - otherwise, members wearing Air Force-style field and flight uniforms would need two sets of boots.

Actually the sage green flight suit is not authorized for CAP.  However the Olive Drab flight suit is.

While 39-1 most certainly calls the USAF FDU "olive drab" (many times over), the "official" FDU and flight jacket on Vanguard is "sage green" and finding a Nomex "olive drab" FDU via a quick Google yielded no results.

Less than 5 seconds to click to using yahoo search.    http://www.mcguirearmynavy.com/Flyers-CWU-64P-Coveralls-Fire-Retardant-Nomex-Flightsuit-OD-Green-Sizes.html
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

PHall

Quote from: Sapper168 on August 11, 2017, 11:33:24 PM

Less than 5 seconds to click to using yahoo search.    http://www.mcguirearmynavy.com/Flyers-CWU-64P-Coveralls-Fire-Retardant-Nomex-Flightsuit-OD-Green-Sizes.html

Funny, the labels in all of my flight suits, CAP and Air Force all say the same thing.
"COVERALLS, FLYERS, CWU-27/P"     No color is given. 

Mitchell 1969

Does anyone really have actual "sage green" flight suits anymore? I thought that color went away in the 70's or 80's. It was distinctly different from OD. More like a grey/green.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

NIN

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 12, 2017, 09:28:59 AM
Does anyone really have actual "sage green" flight suits anymore? I thought that color went away in the 70's or 80's. It was distinctly different from OD. More like a grey/green.

The CWU-73/P like Phil mentioned is "Sage"

The AF still wears them. Today. All the time.  CAP too. The *correct* flightsuit color is sage green. Even though 39-1 may say "OD," the flightsuits we've been wearing for 40+ years are technically "sage"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Commo

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 06, 2017, 12:48:46 AM
The Air Force did not require CAP to wear black boots with the ABUs. This was a decision made by the CAP Uniform Board and National leadership based on perceived cost and practicality. This could change in the future, but probably not for a long time, if it does at all.

Two reasons we still wear black boots with the ABU.
1. They're widely available for reasonable prices.
2. They make it easier to tell that we're CAP and not the Air Force.

When I first read through this thread, I didn't expect to have a strong opinion on the "black vs sage" part.  I assumed black combat boots were standard with the services and readily available at MCSS/Exchange.  Also, I'm not a quick supporter of uniform "options", as the options make a uniform less... uniform.

After a visit to the local Army/Air Force base, I changed my mind.  I didn't realize that black boots are essentially phased out of active service to the point where MCSS/Exchange doesn't carry them.  If this link displays correctly, this is there entire selection of "military approved boots" filtered on black.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/browse/military/military-approved-boots/_/N-118277+4294820289

I can understand an intent in the short term to not burden members with additional costs for boots, but I hope NHQ is considering medium and long term options.  My default source for uniforms is the same source as active service members.  My wants were simple: an extra set of issue boots for when my last issued jungle boots wear out.  I realize most squadrons do not have an AFB nearby, but with online exchange access available to all* veterans in November, that should make uniform components available to nearly all squadrons.

I prefer a uniform standard over my own personal convenience, but whatever that standard is: I hope and expect the standard to be based on a readily available issue item. 

Commo

Vegas1972

I realize most squadrons do not have an AFB nearby, but with online exchange access available to all* veterans in November, that should make uniform components available to nearly all squadrons.

Unfortunately veterans are not allowed to buy uniforms under the new Exchange program.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

Commo

Quote from: Vegas1972 on August 14, 2017, 10:47:57 PM

I realize most squadrons do not have an AFB nearby, but with online exchange access available to all* veterans in November, that should make uniform components available to nearly all squadrons.

Unfortunately veterans are not allowed to buy uniforms under the new Exchange program.

I'll be darned.  You are correct.  I didn't realize this was excluded.

Commo

Vegas1972

Quote from: Commo on August 14, 2017, 11:31:25 PM
Quote from: Vegas1972 on August 14, 2017, 10:47:57 PM

I'll be darned.  You are correct.  I didn't realize this was excluded.

Commo

Lol, I got in on the beta and that was one of the first things I checked.   I was bummed. 
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

GaryVC

I will repeat myself. If any CAP members live in or are visiting Las Vegas (and don't already have base access) I can get you on the base so you can buy uniform items.

Eclipse

What Walmart and Amazon stocks in regards to footwear is far more relevent to the
majority of CAP members then what MCSS, NAVEX, or Base Exchanges stock.

"That Others May Zoom"