Thinking of getting my pilot's license.

Started by esilassy, October 01, 2009, 02:06:03 AM

Nick

Okay, that's a good start for me.  I think it's ridiculous that I've been in CAP for 12 years and haven't sat in a plane while it was airborne... hence why I'm starting to pursue the mission scanner/observer route for CAP and becoming a pilot.

I appreciate the info.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

flyguy06

Quote from: McLarty on October 05, 2009, 08:55:49 PM
Okay, that's a good start for me.  I think it's ridiculous that I've been in CAP for 12 years and haven't sat in a plane while it was airborne... hence why I'm starting to pursue the mission scanner/observer route for CAP and becoming a pilot.

I appreciate the info.

You've been in Civil AIRPatrol for 12 years and never been up? That is odd.It does make me think of something though. I meet a lot of people in Civil AIR Patrol that only interetseed in ground team stuff. I find that interesting. In my community when I mention Civil AIR Patrol the first thing that comes to mind is flying. I wonder what it is that makes people think of ground stuff?

davidsinn

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 06, 2009, 03:05:36 PM
Quote from: McLarty on October 05, 2009, 08:55:49 PM

I appreciate the info.

You've been in Civil AIRPatrol for 12 years and never been up? That is odd.It does make me think of something though. I meet a lot of people in Civil AIR Patrol that only interetseed in ground team stuff. I find that interesting. In my community when I mention Civil AIR Patrol the first thing that comes to mind is flying. I wonder what it is that makes people think of ground stuff?

I've been in three years and I have actively been trying to get in the air but do to geography and crappy luck I've never been able to pull it off. The only time I've been up in a light aircraft was after an SLS when one of the students needed to log an hour of night flying and offered to take my wife and I up.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

esilassy

Looks like I may not be able to get my private certificate, don't know if I can pass a medical.  My right eye has "issues" and can only be corrected to around 20/60.  My left eye is 20/20 uncorrected.  I guess I can get my sport pilot certificate and fly the wee little planes.....  No CAP pilot for me though  :-\

jimmydeanno

I don't know what the criteria is for your eyes, but I know of at least one CAP pilot who has one eye with Amblyopia and the other one has Strabismus.  Somehow he manages to pass a flight physical... 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

esilassy

I wish I could go to an FAA doc and have him give me the physical to see if I pass, but not count it if I don't.

Nick

Yup. Spent a year as a cadet squadron (with no plane), 4 years at wing headquarters in cadet programs (no flying), 2 years off, 2 years back at a cadet squadron (with no plane), 3 years in CAP-USAF (saw some planes, never flew in any), and now I'm finally at a composite squadron that's about to get a plane (albeit I'm still in cadet programs).  Now that we're getting a plane is the reason why I'm starting to branch out.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

Al Sayre

Have you seen an opthamologist?  You may be able to get corrective surgery to 20/60 or better and then wear glasses or contacts to correct to 20/40 (I believe this is still the standard for PPL) or better.  I know of at least one (non-CAP) pilot who got through this way.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Quote from: esilassy on October 06, 2009, 07:08:24 PM
I wish I could go to an FAA doc and have him give me the physical to see if I pass, but not count it if I don't.

Find one who will do a consultation. I'm working on the same thing here. I have a couple of potentially disqualifying issues myself. It might cost you twice as much if the consult comes out positive, and you get a subsequent physical, but, to me, it's worth it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

esilassy

flyguy06

Quote from: McLarty on October 06, 2009, 07:19:02 PM

Yup. Spent a year as a cadet squadron (with no plane), 4 years at wing headquarters in cadet programs (no flying), 2 years off, 2 years back at a cadet squadron (with no plane), 3 years in CAP-USAF (saw some planes, never flew in any), and now I'm finally at a composite squadron that's about to get a plane (albeit I'm still in cadet programs).  Now that we're getting a plane is the reason why I'm starting to branch out.

You dont need a plane at your squadron to fly. I have never had a plane at my squadron. We meet in a church and I go flying in CAP aircraft all the time.

I can understand being on Wing staff. Hopefully you will get some flying done soon

Nick

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 07, 2009, 06:37:24 AM
You dont need a plane at your squadron to fly. I have never had a plane at my squadron. We meet in a church and I go flying in CAP aircraft all the time.

I can understand being on Wing staff. Hopefully you will get some flying done soon

I know.  But, when you have one senior squadron with the plane, four composite squadrons and a cadet squadron in the local area ... guess who's doing the flying. :)
Texas Wing Staff Guy

DG

Quote from: McLarty on October 07, 2009, 05:08:53 PM

I know.  But, when you have one senior squadron with the plane, four composite squadrons and a cadet squadron in the local area ... guess who's doing the flying. :)

My guess would be the senior members who are pilots.

And the cadets who are in flight training.

FastAttack

Quote from: esilassy on October 06, 2009, 05:35:55 PM
Looks like I may not be able to get my private certificate, don't know if I can pass a medical.  My right eye has "issues" and can only be corrected to around 20/60.  My left eye is 20/20 uncorrected.  I guess I can get my sport pilot certificate and fly the wee little planes.....  No CAP pilot for me though  :-\

Don't give up..

once i am done with med school i will very likely be an ME , being that i am as "studious as they come" I've read the ME handbook and found a lot of information that you say: oh I won't pass my medical....  Believe it or not the ME has a lot more "power" in issuance of class 3 medicals before they get denied or passed on to the FAA.

going back to your issue:
There are special cases within aeromedical handbook that can clear your way into a special issuance of a Class 3 medical. Although eyesight is very particular it is not as severe as the rest of medical cases ( cardiovascular problems is their biggest problem at the moment)

The best thing to do is join aopa contact their medical department and essentially to talk them. They will give you an idea if you can pass your test.
If not contact a local ME and talk to them before filling out any application this includes med-express.

Seek their opinion , and essentially they will tell you yay or nay. Without you ever getting a medical.
Do bare in mind if you decide to go into a medical and you get Denied*.. you can no longer practice Sport Pilot privileges or PIC as a glider pilot due to your denial.

*99% of the ME's won't deny you, they will defer it to the FAA.

I specially recommend you looking for an ME that is a pilot. They are a lot more flexible than none pilots.

Good luck

Climbnsink

If you are denied a medical you may still fly gliders(including motorgliders) and balloons as PIC.  Busting a medical will prevent you from flying as a sport pilot.   Also it is possible to do a dry run physical- but do not fill out any paperwork and make it very clear to everyone in the office not to fill out paperwork.  If there is an exam and the form is filled out it counts.  AOPA has resources forthis stuff it would be worth joining just for a year if need be.   

FastAttack

Quote from: Climbnsink on October 18, 2009, 02:12:02 AM
If you are denied a medical you may still fly gliders(including motorgliders) and balloons as PIC.  Busting a medical will prevent you from flying as a sport pilot.   Also it is possible to do a dry run physical- but do not fill out any paperwork and make it very clear to everyone in the office not to fill out paperwork.  If there is an exam and the form is filled out it counts.  AOPA has resources forthis stuff it would be worth joining just for a year if need be.

Hmm I would double check on that statement.. once you been denied a medical you can't fly gliders..

I'll get the FAR that states it.

a2capt

It's a huge loop hole right now, with Sport Pilot. If you were ever denied a medical, you can't fly, but if you knew you would not qualify and just didn't seek a new one, you were not denied one, thus .. you can fly because the DMV says you can drive.

Make sense?

No.

It is what it is.

On the other hand, I have heard and read discussion that basically states that the private - glider rating is one that folks with denied medical history can seek and using a motorized glider, with an endorsement or primary training in one will allow self launches and the gliders, many have much better performance than the LSA limit.  I have not actually dug out the FAR's to look.

Climbnsink

Gliders and balloons only require that the PIC self certify that they are safe to fly.  Medical denials don't matter.  Please stop spreading this nonsense.  You can be PIC in gliders and have any number of disqualifying medical conditions.

Quote from: emertins on October 18, 2009, 02:42:36 AM
Quote from: Climbnsink on October 18, 2009, 02:12:02 AM

Hmm I would double check on that statement.. once you been denied a medical you can't fly gliders..

I'll get the FAR that states it.

Mustang

Quote from: Thrash on October 01, 2009, 02:42:44 AM
FIND A GOOD INSTRUCTOR.  This will make a huge difference in training.  Find a plane that fits you and your wallet.  If you are 6'4" and 225lbs, don't expect to fly a C150. 

Meh, it's doable if he can find one of those cute little 110 lb CFIs of the feminine persuasion--and there are quite a few of those around these days.  I was about that (minus two inches) when I soloed.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "