Flight Endurance

Started by pppatacki, September 08, 2009, 05:14:57 PM

c172drv

Longest flight I know of was a few month ago by a squadron mate of mine.  It was 6 hour highbird sortie at night in IFR.  They took a few drinks and a few sandwiches.  Both of them held out some how and managed to use a bathroom after landing.  I've got pretty long legs now but I fly all the time and I've programed myself to take it.

John
John Jester
VAWG

Eclipse

6 hours?  Did they have Gerry-cans on the back seat?

Good on them for doing it, but I'd have to say that's pretty poor ORM and use of crews by the AOBD.

Night IFR?  Pretty unusual for us.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyerthom

Been a nurse for 19 years most of it ER and ICU before HEMS. I think I can hold an entire keg.
TC

Flying Pig

Night IFR for 6 hours?  Id be sleeping for the next 2 days.

Thrashed

I do 16 hour flights at work, so I have a pretty good bladder.  I get to use the toliet, but not often enough sometimes.

Save the triangle thingy

Gunner C

I'm going to be flying two long missions at the end of the month.  Since my bladder has shrunk, I'm going to use the kitty litter system (I think I'll take a couple).  I'll report back on how well it worked.  Thankfully, there's no females on the crew.  ;D

c172drv

They did a good ORM evaluation before they started this flight.  There were 2 very experience IFR current, not just qualified.  They knew of the planned long endurance and carried stuff to make it tolerable.  They were on station for 4 hours with an hour out and back while teams searched below for a missing hiker.  They were the only means of communications to the teams.  Some of the issues that led to this were the weather a very little crews that were qualified and comfortable with the operation.  Additional factor was there was a high probablility the victim was alive an in need of assistance as they were blind.  This crew also involved many others around them to get advice and to ensure they had  a good plan prior to their launch.

In the end the person was found after a few more high endurance missions from other crews.
John Jester
VAWG

Gunner C

Quote from: c172drv on September 15, 2009, 01:41:30 AM
Some of the issues that led to this were the weather a very little crews that were qualified and comfortable with the operation.  Additional factor was there was a high probablility the victim was alive an in need of assistance as they were blind.  This crew also involved many others around them to get advice and to ensure they had  a good plan prior to their launch.

Great mission! 

But one question:  where are you finding these little crews?  Can you attach the Gatorade bottles to their booster seats?  (sorry had to ask)  ;D ;D ;D

Mustang

Anybody got a commercial source for military-grade "piddle packs"?  Might be a more discreet option when you know you're gonna be up longer than your bladder can hold out.

I used to do aerial photomapping work where 4+ hr flights were routine. After landing and before engine shutdown, I had to sit in place for 3 minutes while the computer got a high-precision GPS fix. Some days, those were the longest 3 minutes of my life! :D
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

notaNCO forever

Anyone try using depends? Just wondering, I don't think it would be very comfortable the rest of the flight.

EMT-83

^ Do you mean daily, or just for long flights?

notaNCO forever

Either the idea just popped in my head. It has the pro of not worrying about having to be comfortable with the flight crew.

bosshawk

Has anyone heard the story of John Glenn sitting for hours on top of the Atlas rocket, waiting for his delayed liftoff.  It can have you in stitches.  NASA had not planned on what would occur if an astronaut got to sit in his capsule, while his three orbit flight got delayed for hours.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

Quote from: bosshawk on September 22, 2009, 01:01:49 AM
Has anyone heard the story of John Glenn sitting for hours on top of the Atlas rocket, waiting for his delayed liftoff.  It can have you in stitches.  NASA had not planned on what would occur if an astronaut got to sit in his capsule, while his three orbit flight got delayed for hours.

There's also that scene in "The Right Stuff" where Gordon Cooper solves his too many cups of coffee "problem".

SarDragon

Actually, that was Alan Shepard. More here. Cooper was the one who "authorized" the "relief" action.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bosshawk

You are correct, Dave.  I just remembered the story and assumed that it was Glenn.

I worked on STS-27 and happened to mention this whole thing to the five guys who flew on that mission.  Interesting answers, as I remember(21 yrs ago).
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Mustang

Quote from: SarDragon on September 22, 2009, 01:38:37 AM
Actually, that was Alan Shepard. More here. Cooper was the one who "authorized" the "relief" action.

Paul got it half-right: it was Scott Glenn, the actor, portraying Alan Shepard in The Right Stuff. :)
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "