CAP orders twelve new Cessna Skylanes

Started by disamuel, April 19, 2010, 10:40:44 PM

a2capt

A local club had two, a C172 that came from MIWG, and a C182 that came from CAWG. The C182 is no more. Some moron landed hot and short at Fallbrook, and flipped it over, off the end. The C172 apparently has moved on as it's owner retired and left with it.

PHall

With the number of former CAP aircraft that have ended up in military aero clubs. Do the aero clubs get "priority" during the sales?

vento

Pacific Coast Flyers also have one ex CAP C-172 in the new livery.
http://www.pcflyers.org/N98219.php

a2capt

Thats the one from MIWG.

I used that one to fly to the Wing Conference when it was in Fresno, and then the following year, at RSC, I ended up sitting next to the aircraft manager of it, when in was at the unit in MIWG.

dbaran

Quote from: bosshawk on May 13, 2010, 05:19:20 PM
N96658?  One of those that I mentioned had been sold.
658 is still with us; it's been parked at RHV for more than a year now minus the engine.   National says that they're going to sell it, but nothing is happening as far as we can tell.

bosshawk

Thanks, Dave: I stand corrected.  Hadn't seen it on the aircraft list, so assumed that it had been sold.  anybody want a tail-heavy glider?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

FW

Quote from: PHall on May 14, 2010, 02:03:02 AM
With the number of former CAP aircraft that have ended up in military aero clubs. Do the aero clubs get "priority" during the sales?

Aircraft go to the highest bidder.  There is no priority to any group.  Money goes back to CAP for aircraft renovations and upgrades.  BTW; existing C172s will be retrofitted with G500s instead of Aspens as cash becomes available.

PHall

Quote from: FW on May 15, 2010, 12:51:00 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 14, 2010, 02:03:02 AM

Aircraft go to the highest bidder.  There is no priority to any group.  Money goes back to CAP for aircraft renovations and upgrades.  BTW; existing C172s will be retrofitted with G500s instead of Aspens as cash becomes available.

That's interesting, because most Aero Clubs are always short of funds. Or at least that's what they claim.

CadetProgramGuy

I know AKWG flies the Beavers, do they also have 172's?

Has CAPHQ replaced the Beavers once they 'Time out'?

PHall

Most of the AKWG Beavers are on their third or fourth engine.
As long as you "properly" maintain an aircraft they will last a long, long time.

SunDog

Would trade the G1000 for a true FADEC.  GA glass needs some more evoloution, still needs a lot of care and feeding., pre-and-in flight.

Fantasy CAP airplane - T41C, fixed pitch, 210 hp, three seats, 100 pound gross weight increase, Becker and IFR GPS.

182 is great for x-ctry or "patrol" type missions - not so hot in manuvering flight, or low and slow. Like wrestling with a fat guy.

Mountains an xception, of course - T41/172 wing won't go high.

PHall

Quote from: SunDog on May 18, 2010, 10:11:01 PM

Would trade the G1000 for a true FADEC.  GA glass needs some more evoloution, still needs a lot of care and feeding., pre-and-in flight.

Fantasy CAP airplane - T41C, fixed pitch, 210 hp, three seats, 100 pound gross weight increase, Becker and IFR GPS.

182 is great for x-ctry or "patrol" type missions - not so hot in manuvering flight, or low and slow. Like wrestling with a fat guy.

Mountains an xception, of course - T41/172 wing won't go high.

I'll see your T-41C and raise you a O-2A. Windows everywhere, 4 seats and good high density altitude performance.

Mustang

Quote from: PHall on May 19, 2010, 04:14:13 AM

I'll see your T-41C and raise you a O-2A. Windows everywhere, 4 seats and good high density altitude performance.
Sure, but how's its single-engine performance?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

NIN

Quote from: Mustang on May 19, 2010, 05:02:13 AM

According to my buddy who owns/flies one, not as bad as is commonly reported by people who don't own or fly one.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SunDog

Hey, O2 - good idea! I was thinking KISS, but that might be good. don't know the rwy or slow-flight chracteristics, but I beat it beats wrestling with a 182!

But, real world, who will fly it C17? we can't get guys to pay to fly the glass, since it's such a fuel hog. The rank-and-file guys don't want to drop a grand getting qual'ed in an airplane that's an hour away and costs so much to fuel.

Robborsari

Quote from: Mustang on May 19, 2010, 05:02:13 AM

Better than the 0 engine performance of either the 182 or 172. :)
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087