USCGAux Benefits compared to CAP Benefits

Started by SARMedTech, April 22, 2008, 04:04:03 AM

RiverAux

Uh, they're revamping most of the AUXOP programs, so what makes you think they're going to eliminate the qualification?  If anything they are strengthening it. 

SARMedTech

Quote from: RiverAux on April 27, 2008, 02:51:58 AM
Uh, they're revamping most of the AUXOP programs, so what makes you think they're going to eliminate the qualification?  If anything they are strengthening it. 

Well, if you read that Training Change Summary for which I posted the link, I read it to say that they would be awarding the AUXOPS device for only as long as current stores of it remained available and I thought I read in that same part of the Summary that they are re-considering its usefulness. Personally, other than the Coxswain program, I think AuxOps is the most valuable training in the Aux. I think one of the best things that could happen would be to merge the qualifications for AuxOps and Trident. I think the "M" or Marine Safety (Trident) programs are invaluable, but after speaking with the local flotilla commanders and reading some pretty in depth materials about the Trident trainings and quals, it can be pretty prohibitive in terms of the time, money and likely required travel of the average Auxie and I also think that Trident is probably not a program which appeals to older Auxies, because some of its requirements can, it would seem, be a little physically taxing and, even though I dont fall into the older Auxiliarist category, I would have to travel about three hours to go through the Trident programs container and commercial fishing vessel inspections qual requirements. Apparently, I misunderstood what I read about the AuxOPS, but as I say I think calling it AuxOPS and merging it with Trident and classifying it under the "M" school programs and then eliminating Trident as a free-standing qual would be more beneficial and it would be scene as a measure which could have the potential to qualify a great number of Auxies for augmentation duties, since that is what both AuxOps and Trident are intended to do.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SAR-EMT1

Ok, here are my own personal thoughts, being as I am a dual hatter...

First off I want to say that I love the fact that CAP has rank and is set up to salute etc and I HATE that CAP isnt closer to the Air Force. (At least in my area)

I love that the CG Aux is tied into the AD side and that we can augment. I HATE that it is civilian minded. I want to see rank and saluting and whatnot.
(Then again I am totally military minded and would give my right arm for an AD commission) In a way i am a wannabe in every sense of the word.

I joined the CG Auxiliary expecting a paramilitary experience where I could augment and be treated as an >unpaid< Officer , I was sorely disappointed. However the fact is I am able to contribute and am doing so.

Moving on...

As far as the CG Aux goes...
I am a Division Staff Officer - think Group Staff-  and I wear the mark of an O-2 with that annoying "A"  centered on the shoulderboard
In my duties Ive met about everyone in my Division (IL South of I-74)
I am 23 years old. The majority tend to be at least 60 and up , as far as saluting or uniforms are concerned they couldnt care less, having both the time of age and a yacht club mentality.
Most in my Division are also overweight and many insist on mixing civilian clothing with Blues and it looks horrid. Everyone goes by first names, however they are quick to address any AD member by his full rank and title. (When an Aux, augments or even visits a CG station the "Office Identifier" (Rank) comes off our uniform entirely. Instead we wear a generic "Aux" lapel device (An anchor with a big "A" in the middle)

The CG program to allow EMTs and Medics to augment has been cancelled. I personally have no interest whatsoever in recreational boating. But as some said it is the bread and butter of any flotilla. Ive toughened up and am proceding. I currently put in roughly 5 hours a week in the RBS / MDV program. I am waiting for an opening to attend CG Comm training so that I might augment as a radio watchstander.

The problem with that is that the "local" CG station is over an hour and a half away (The flotilla is 15 minutes) and the current AD staff is not at all interested in what the Auxiliary can do. They have no need for augmentation. Also the Aux Air program in my area is being phased out entirely as there is not a recognized need for it.

The Auxiliary can attend training at several CG stations. These courses are called "C Schools" and basically work like condensed tech training for certain positions. To add to that Auxiliarists can COMPETE for openings in CG "A schools"
- full length tech training in any "non law enforcement" AD MOS/AFSC. While there everything is provided free of charge. However, this is usually limited to the retired and individually wealthy as you do NOT get a pay check during the course.
- Weeks long-
We also have access to the CG/Navy version of AFIADL and the full range of PME.

In the CGAux it is mandatory to recite the Pledge in uniform with your hand over your heart. This is something that has allways irked me.

The Aux do provide a very valuable service. In fact there are currently more Auxilliarists then AD/Res USCG Personnel. Yes they can use all benefits on a CG base (and some Navy bases) yes they can augment and without their help with recreational boaters i feel the CG and DHS would be in trouble and hurting for manhours/power.
The CG decides what we do and what we wear. Everything we do is "aux on, with orders in hand. In fact every one of our manuals/regs/pamphlets was written by an AD Officer.  We are utilized so much that Several Auxiliarists sit on the personal staff of the AD USCG Commandant. Every AD/Res Officer either has some Auxiliarists on the staff or has an asigned Aux Liasion.

All in all it is a good program. To my mind we function/are utilized as a civilian CG National Guard, although that isnt quite accurate.
---
I dont mean to sound harsh or insubordinate about either organization.  It is just that for someone who wasnt given an AD commission, I personally will always wish that both it and CAP were something they arent.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SARMedTech

SAR-EMT1-

My experience over the last few weeks has been different than what you are describing with the AUX.

I am sad to hear that they have eliminated the medical augmentation quals for EMTs/Medics. I know that it took an MOU from the Gold Side mission commander and was specific to that individual mission and no good after that, though I had heard that some who had the civilian/maritime rating of CGMPIC (Coast Guard Medical Person in Charge) had a little more latitude.

The flotilla I have been visiting has its meetings in a city administrative building. Now that the weather is warmer and the days longer, that flotilla has been charged, on the nights of their meetings, with bringing down the Colors outside the building since their meetings fall around the time for doing that. I have never seen anything but sharp salutes as the flag comes down and I know that the National Ensign saluted afloat, but like you, I mourn the lack of saluting those who are, if not higher in rank, at least higher in office, which I think would be a good mix of civilian and military C and C. It wouldn't require the changing of 'offices' to ranks or grades, but would definitely add the military snap that both you and I look for. Of course, Gold Side officers are saluted and it is a flotilla custom in this flotilla that the FC and VFC are saluted by the flotilla crew.

You are also correct that there is a wide variety of gold side opinions about the necessity and practicality (and possible safety and security) of silver side Auxies on augmentation duty. I know one fellow in the flotilla I hope to join augments as a watchstander at Cal Harbor quite often, and I have been told that this is more common in Coastal AORs than in rivers and inland waterways. I also have a friend who augments as a watchstander from his home, listening for distress beacons and mayday traffic.

One thing I can say is that I must admit to liking the salutes and military ranks and customs, I was told that these are few and far between in the Aux, so I was prepared for it. That being said, I don't think it would deter me. Also, you will find that the Coast Guard as a whole is a little more...informal...for lack of a better word. AD Coasties are known to use each others first names commonly so some of that is just the tradition of the parent service.  I think you may see some of this change as Admiral Allen takes a look at things and sees that it is beneficial to both gold and silver sides to bring the Aux more in line in terms of training, quals, classes,etc with the AD folks.  I think its great that Auxies can compete for A school slots. Does this mean you will be headed to AST school for the next rescue swimmer class?  ;)
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SAR-EMT1

No, there was a Memo from ADM Allen awhile back forbidding the training/jobs that an auxiliarist can hold. Rescue Swimmer was one of them.
Reason being: Auxiliarists are not allowed to serve as crew on AD/Reserve Aircraft

However to a lesser extent there is a reg that does specifically forbid any auxiliarist from serving as a swimmer (even on an aux facility)

There were two college guys who joined same time as me only to quit a month later due to the above coming out.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SARMedTech

Affirmative.  I have been told that any Auxie going into the water after a PIW is going to get raked when the whole incident is over. That's what boat hooks are for. Now that life rings are no longer mandatory that is.
"Corpsman Up!"

RiverAux

QuoteIn the CGAux it is mandatory to recite the Pledge in uniform with your hand over your heart. This is something that has allways irked me.
Its a naval tradition....

You will find that the interest the AD has in having Auxies augment can vary widely.  I know that in my area where regular crew augmentation has never happened to my knowledge, they were very open to it when approached on behalf of a member who wanted to do it. 

2ltAlexD

I am an in processing member, but like the CG Aux some what better so far. I like the fact that we are openly welcomed on military instalations and can purchase from the Coast Guard online exchange. I also like that when we say we are in the CG Aux, people are like wow, but for CAP, when I say I'm in CAP, they are like, "Oh, isn't that a high school thing?" or "Oh, like boy scouts." Plus, CAP members are treated like crap when it comes to getting on most bases and we can not purchase from the online exchanges and only from the in store ones for uniform items or in government quarters. I also like that the regs for the CG Aux state that "When injured or become ill on an official CG Aux mition, auxiliarists will be treated to the same medical care as any other Coast Guard member." As for the CAP side, we are "Like any other civilian Medical care for emergencies on a space available basis and the military comes first." Oh, so they'll just let us suffer just because we're in CAP. It just seems that people especially active duty respect the CG Aux alot more.
Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron

Spike

^ Wow.  There are AF regulations out there that go into more detail about medical care, and Federal benefits afforded to CAP members.

Consequently, CAP is in a "punishable" phase right now.  Older Army/AF Pubs allowed CAP members more on base privileges, but leadership screwed those benefits up for CAP.

I still tell people I am in the "Air Force Auxiliary", when they ask what CAP is.

Trust me, if it was between you or an AD Coast Guard member who presented with the same injuries, you would be taken second into the medical facility also. 

JayT

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on April 25, 2009, 04:26:24 PM
I am an in processing member, but like the CG Aux some what better so far. I like the fact that we are openly welcomed on military instalations and can purchase from the Coast Guard online exchange. I also like that when we say we are in the CG Aux, people are like wow, but for CAP, when I say I'm in CAP, they are like, "Oh, isn't that a high school thing?" or "Oh, like boy scouts." Plus, CAP members are treated like crap when it comes to getting on most bases and we can not purchase from the online exchanges and only from the in store ones for uniform items or in government quarters. I also like that the regs for the CG Aux state that "When injured or become ill on an official CG Aux mition, auxiliarists will be treated to the same medical care as any other Coast Guard member." As for the CAP side, we are "Like any other civilian Medical care for emergencies on a space available basis and the military comes first." Oh, so they'll just let us suffer just because we're in CAP. It just seems that people especially active duty respect the CG Aux alot more.

You seem to have a lot of issues with CAP.

1. Do you really believe, that in the one in a thousand chance a CAP member is hurt on a base large enough to have a hospital, they would 'suffer?' Do you have any experience in the medical field at all? If a CAP member was having a heart attack, do you think a military nurse would ignore him to help a military member with a hurt ankle? That's immature, unrealisitic, and absurd.

2. Again, as I've said before, the relationship between CAP and the Air Force is different then the CG/CGAux relationship because it needs to be.

How old are you, by the way?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Spike

caplegalnc

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on April 25, 2009, 04:26:24 PM

I f you want to be in CAP and have unlimited shopping priviledges on military installations then simply walk into a recruiting station, pass a few tests, and give up 3, 4, 6 or even 8 years of your life.  CAP may have a relationship with the Air Force but AAFES (Army Air Force Exchange Service) is oriented towards servicemembers.  If you want to shop, QVC is on 24/7.  If you want to serve, suck it up and drive on. 
Chief Justice
NC-019

2ltAlexD

You know, I wish I could, but I am totally visually impaired. I'd give my whole life to serve and am the daughter of a National Guard soldier. That is why I serve in the auxiliaries and try to give back. The auxiliaries are the closest me and many others will ever have to military service. I'd stand in front of an IED if it made life easier for the troops. If people ask if I am in the military when they see my CAP id, I say no, I am in the auxiliary.

JayT

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on April 25, 2009, 06:39:51 PM
You know, I wish I could, but I am totally visually impaired. I'd give my whole life to serve and am the daughter of a National Guard soldier. That is why I serve in the auxiliaries and try to give back. The auxiliaries are the closest me and many others will ever have to military service. I'd stand in front of an IED if it made life easier for the troops. If people ask if I am in the military when they see my CAP id, I say no, I am in the auxiliary.

You still haven't answered any questions posted in this thread, or others.

Sorry about your vision.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Spike

Quote from: caplegalnc on April 25, 2009, 06:35:10 PM
I f you want to be in CAP and have unlimited shopping privileges on military installations then simply walk into a recruiting station, pass a few tests, and give up 3, 4, 6 or even 8 years of your life. 

That is not very nice!  There are many that if given the chance, would give up everything in their lives and serve in the military.  I would also like to point out that there are CAP members who do more for their country, and communities than SOME Active Duty folks ever will.  In fact there are some that give their lives in performing their CAP duties.  Military service is voluntary just like CAP, but you get paid in the Service, in CAP your reward is the satisfaction you feel at the end of the day.

I hate how quick people throw out the "just go enlist" answer when someone brings up the question about benefits.  Those that do, should be ashamed of themselves.

I also would like to point out that CAP at one time was afforded the same MWR benefits as the military Services.  Do some researching before posting on something you have no idea about.

I am a strong believer that CAP members should be offered exchange privileges.  In the end it only makes AAFES more profitable, and contributes a greater amount of money to military MWR programs.

Speaking as a person who has exchange and commissary benefits, the savings between shopping AAFES/ DECA Commissaries is not what it used to be.  You can usually find better deals if you shop around.   

2ltAlexD

Quote from: Spike on April 25, 2009, 08:14:35 PM
Quote from: caplegalnc on April 25, 2009, 06:35:10 PM
I f you want to be in CAP and have unlimited shopping privileges on military installations then simply walk into a recruiting station, pass a few tests, and give up 3, 4, 6 or even 8 years of your life. 

That is not very nice!  There are many that if given the chance, would give up everything in their lives and serve in the military.  I would also like to point out that there are CAP members who do more for their country, and communities than SOME Active Duty folks ever will.  In fact there are some that give their lives in performing their CAP duties.  Military service is voluntary just like CAP, but you get paid in the Service, in CAP your reward is the satisfaction you feel at the end of the day.

I hate how quick people throw out the "just go enlist" answer when someone brings up the question about benefits.  Those that do, should be ashamed of themselves.

I also would like to point out that CAP at one time was afforded the same MWR benefits as the military Services.  Do some researching before posting on something you have no idea about.

I am a strong believer that CAP members should be offered exchange privileges.  In the end it only makes AAFES more profitable, and contributes a greater amount of money to military MWR programs.

Speaking as a person who has exchange and commissary benefits, the savings between shopping AAFES/ DECA Commissaries is not what it used to be.  You can usually find better deals if you shop around.  
Thanks so much for your service. That is really neat that we once had mwr access. What changed that? My squadron commander authorizes us to purchase anything accept for state sales tax items without being in quarters as long as its not a big screen tv or something like that. I read that some bases will let CAP members participate in MWR as individuals but it is up to the instalation commander.

PA Guy

Quote from: Spike on April 25, 2009, 08:14:35 PM

This is not meant as a flame or confrontation please.  I have been a member of CAP for 35+ yrs and I don't remember the above ever being a benefit.  Was it before my time?

PA Guy

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on April 25, 2009, 08:23:57 PMMy squadron commander authorizes us to purchase anything accept for state sales tax items without being in quarters as long as its not a big screen tv or something like that.

I suggest that you read CAPR 147-1 particularly para. 1-b. It clearly states the requirements for CAP members to purchase non uniform items in an AAFES facility. A CAP sqdn commander does not have the authority to circumvent this regulation. It is situations like this that often result in further restrictions on access and privileges for CAP members. And people wonder why we are sometimes treated poorly when we openly flaunt the regs that provide us with access and privileges.

2ltAlexD

Quote from: PA Guy on April 25, 2009, 08:48:13 PM
Quote from: 2ltAlexD on April 25, 2009, 08:23:57 PMMy squadron commander authorizes us to purchase anything accept for state sales tax items without being in quarters as long as its not a big screen tv or something like that.

I suggest that you read CAPR 147-1 particularly para. 1-b. It clearly states the requirements for CAP members to purchase non uniform items in an AAFES facility. A CAP sqdn commander does not have the authority to circumvent this regulation. It is situations like this that often result in further restrictions on access and privileges for CAP members. And people wonder why we are sometimes treated poorly when we openly flaunt the regs that provide us with access and privileges.
I appologize, I should specify that that only includes food items on the way to a squadron event or if we are in need of something specific.

PA Guy

^^
Food courts, snack bars or fast food places are not covered by CAPR 147-1. They are open to anyone, civ or mil, that happens to be on base.

However, if you go inside the AAFES store and make a purchase of a non uniform item you must meet the requirements of CAPR 147-1