CAP selling of aircraft?

Started by capchiro, June 07, 2006, 10:49:09 AM

capchiro

I heard a rumor from a reliable source that CAP has been ordered by the Air Force to sell off 40 aircraft.  Any confirmation as to this?  Any reason why?  Any ideas as to how this will impact the aviation component of our program?  Will dropping 40 aircraft into the general market place drive down the price due to demand and supply?  TIA
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

BillB

What is the reason USAF wants CAP to sell 40 aircraft? We already know the Maules are coming out of CAP inventory, and would the balance of the 40 be older model aircraft? Forty aircraft spread over 52 Wings, doesn't mean there will be much impact to the aircraft market, and CAP is already contracted for new aircraft that would replace any that were sold.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

capchiro

It was my understanding that this did not include the Maules, but was Cessna's.  I also understood that my Wing (Georgia) would be losing three of the aircraft and i just don't see the Air Force, constrained by the budget, replacing three in our Wing, or 40 in the CAP inventory now or very quickly. 
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Chris Jacobs

I know the Maules are being sold, but that is it.  we are supposed to slowly get back some airplanes with the new glass cockpits.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

ZigZag911

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on June 07, 2006, 02:09:27 PM
I know the Maules are being sold, but that is it.  we are supposed to slowly get back some airplanes with the new glass cockpits.

My understanding is that this is correct, we are gradually replacing older AC with glass cockpit C-172s, although I think the long range plan is to move us entirely into 182s or equivalents.

Al Sayre

It's no rumor or secret, here's what they're selling...

They are all older, fairly high time units, but the prices seem reasonable.

http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/resources/equipment_assets/aircraft_sales/
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

NIN

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 07, 2006, 04:42:39 PM
It's no rumor or secret, here's what they're selling...

They are all older, fairly high time units, but the prices seem reasonable.

http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/resources/equipment_assets/aircraft_sales/

And yet another CAP URL: http://www.capaircraftsales.com/
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

BTW, I dunno why they don't  take those damaged aircraft and write them off, then use 'em for static display birds...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

flynd94

Being part of my wings ops team, I think I can shed a little light on the subject.  The  AF gives CAP a max number of aircraft we are allowed to have.  That number is somewhere around 550.  For the last 5+ years we have been closer to 580 airframes.  Ergo, we need to cut airframes to get to our allowed number.

All of the maules are being cut.  They make great tow planes but, their limited useful payload is quite restrictive for SAR purposes.  Next, we are getting rid of our oldest/biggest hangar queens.

The goal is to have a all C182 fleet with a few GA-8's/C206's thrown in.

As for wings losing airframes, yes it will happen.  Each wing had to justify the amount of airframes they have and, some of them cannot.  Those airframes are being given to wings that better utilize their airframes.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

ryan s

i would love to buy one but i dont know if i canm out bid people
cadet airman Ryan scott
ner-ny-135 compsite sq.

SarDragon

Quote from: ryan s on October 08, 2006, 02:27:39 AM
i would love to buy one but i dont know if i canm out bid people

And just how much can you afford to pay?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret