Main Menu

saluting

Started by Tubacap, August 20, 2008, 12:44:35 AM

Tubacap

Okay, I'm usually pretty good at this, but here is a question.  I am entering a Coast Guard facility, and all of the gate entry personnel salute individually while I am in the car as a passenger.  What should I do?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer

Tubacap

Thanks.  That's what I did, it was weird to salute sitting down in a car though.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Capt Rivera

I agree. The only time I would recommend not saluting is if your the driver and the vehicle is in motion. That is a safety issues and they understand that. If your a passenger in any seat, feel free to return the salute.

Good question by the way.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Gunner C

Quote from: RiveraJ on August 20, 2008, 01:58:04 AM
I agree. The only time I would recommend not saluting is if your the driver and the vehicle is in motion. That is a safety issues and they understand that. If your a passenger in any seat, feel free to return the salute.

As a military officer, now retired, I've been saluted for years while driving a car through a military installation gate.  My father received the same courtesy.  My thinking is that it would just be rude to not return a salute, even if you're driving - In my 50 years around the military, I've never heard of anyone getting into a mishap while saluting.  If that's a concern, try walking and chewing gum simultaneously - get some practice.  ;D

GC

CadetProgramGuy

IF you feel it may be a safety concern, you are allowed to acknowledge the salute by 'nodding' a return.

MIKE

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 24, 2008, 08:46:47 AM
IF you feel it may be a safety concern, you are allowed to acknowledge the salute by 'nodding' a return.

Just greet the guard with an appropriate verbal greeting when the car pulls up, then you are covered either way.

Mike Johnston

JoeTomasone

And keep in mind that military personnel are not required to salute CAP members, but can if they choose to.   

hatentx

so what if you are a SM  with no rank?  Are cadets suppose to salute you then?  What about a SM who shows up in there RM uniform on there way to change what would be correct for cadets in this manner.  I tell them not to salute me but mostly because it feels wierd as can be

brasda91

Quote from: hatentx on August 25, 2008, 01:20:05 AM
so what if you are a SM  with no rank?  Are cadets suppose to salute you then?  What about a SM who shows up in there RM uniform on there way to change what would be correct for cadets in this manner.  I tell them not to salute me but mostly because it feels wierd as can be

It depends.  For SMWOG I would not expect a salute, but rather a greeting.  Remember, you are saluting the grade, not the person.

For the SM in his/her RM uniform, if the cadets recognize you as a CAP officer (2d Lt & higher), they are expected to salute you.  You are not required to return the salute.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JoeTomasone

CAPP 151 (http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082503084356.pdf) says:

b. Saluting. It is a courtesy exchanged between members of the Civil Air Patrol when in military-style uniform as both a greeting and a symbol of mutual respect. As such, it is never inappropriate to salute another individual. The basic rules regarding saluting for CAP members are:

(1) You salute when in military-style uniform.

(2) You salute the President of the United States, all Medal of Honor recipients, and commissioned officers and warrant officers of the Armed Forces who are senior in rank to you.

(3) You do not salute when indoors unless you are formally reporting to an officer senior in rank to you.

(4) You salute when outdoors unless:

(a) You are carrying articles (or a heavy object) in both hands, which cannot be transferred to the left hand, or another legitimate reason such as injury, and so forth. In this
case, an oral greeting should be exchanged, such as "Good Morning, Sir or Ma'am." If you are the lower ranking individual and the one you are approaching is higher in rank but whose arms are incapacitated, you will still salute.

(b) You are in a designated "covered" or "no salute" area, (aircraft marshalling areas and flightlines are "no salute" areas).

(c) You are a member of a military formation or a work detail (only the senior member of the formation or detail salutes).

(d) You are attending a public gathering such as a sports event.

(5) When on a military installation, you salute officers in government cars if the car has a flag or metal standard that identifies the rank of the occupant (usually general officers and military wing or base commanders).

(6) Military personnel are not required to render a salute to CAP personnel, but they are not restricted from doing so if they desire.

To answer your question, a Senior Member (without grade) is not considered an officer and thus is not required to be saluted by Cadets - the same as those Senior Members who hold NCO grade such as Staff Sergeant.  

If a Senior Member (without grade) also happens to be an officer in the military, than the salute would be based on the uniform being worn - as he would be perceived to either be or not be an officer.  

hatentx

thanks I was looking for that and couldnt find it.  Had a cadet challenge me on it.  Saying that "the regulations says" not able to quote it and I am still new trying to have an idea of what is were.  Thanks

DNall

Quote from: brasda91 on August 25, 2008, 02:00:40 AM
For the SM in his/her RM uniform, if the cadets recognize you as a CAP officer (2d Lt & higher), they are expected to salute you.  You are not required to return the salute.
I was in my (then) enlisted Army uniform one day at encampment. Everyone saluted me still, and I returned with a verbal greeting. I didn't like the idea of returning salutes in a uniform that didn't rate it. That's one of those gray areas, and I did what I thought was right.

You do need to get used to the idea though, cause they'll make you an LT here in a few more months & it will be required.

hatentx

haha thats when you just wear the polo.  Yeah i know I will need to get use to it, it will just take some time.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: hatentx on August 25, 2008, 02:10:38 AM
thanks I was looking for that and couldnt find it.  Had a cadet challenge me on it.  Saying that "the regulations says" not able to quote it and I am still new trying to have an idea of what is were.  Thanks

You'll find that the vast majority of CAP members know very little about the contents of CAPP 151.  At least, that's been my experience.

hatentx

looks like I have a new one I must read then

CadetProgramGuy

There is that old saying,

when in doubt........

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Gunner C on August 24, 2008, 08:24:32 AM

As a military officer, now retired, I've been saluted for years while driving a car through a military installation gate.  My father received the same courtesy.  My thinking is that it would just be rude to not return a salute, even if you're driving - In my 50 years around the military, I've never heard of anyone getting into a mishap while saluting.  If that's a concern, try walking and chewing gum simultaneously - get some practice.  ;D

GC

A nod or wave is appropriate. Just because you have not heard of a mishap does not mean one has not occurred or that one wont. Maybe your actually driving slow enough that the probability is low, but most don't.... 

I assume anyone saluting while driving is giving as correct a salute as possible, which increases the risk over someone who is just waving or nodding... Most of our officers have issues saluting properly (hand placement) while standing still, I can't possibly make a blanket statement saying that saluting while driving is safe.

To the CAP officers who might be driving on a military installation, please don't take the risk, it is NOT worth it. For those who want to debate this, I refer you back to your ORM training.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

JoeTomasone

And incidentally, for those of you near military installations...

When I typically go on the local base, it's to go to the Military Clothing store, and I am in civilian attire.  I therefore do not salute officers (as they would look at you all funny since you're not in uniform) and obviously am not saluted by anyone.   All good.

The problem comes when I am on base and IN uniform for some CAP function...  I get saluted and sometimes go into vapor-lock since I am not accustomed to it...  Fortunately I usually recover quickly.

The BAD part is that I will forget that I am in uniform and FAIL to salute senior officers..   While I sometimes recover and will turn around, say, "Sorry, sir/ma'am" and whip out a salute, I have occasionally just completely dropped the ball until it was too late to recover (the officer is completely out of the vicinity).   This really bugs me for the obvious reasons.   

Consequently, I find myself on base, in uniform, repeating to myself, "You are in uniform...  You are in uniform..."    ;D

Don't be as scatterbrained as I have been.  :)

lordmonar

Quote from: RiveraJ on August 25, 2008, 02:06:15 PM
Quote from: Gunner C on August 24, 2008, 08:24:32 AM

GC

A nod or wave is appropriate. Just because you have not heard of a mishap does not mean one has not occurred or that one wont. Maybe your actually driving slow enough that the probability is low, but most don't.... 

I assume anyone saluting while driving is giving as correct a salute as possible, which increases the risk over someone who is just waving or nodding... Most of our officers have issues saluting properly (hand placement) while standing still, I can't possibly make a blanket statement saying that saluting while driving is safe.

To the CAP officers who might be driving on a military installation, please don't take the risk, it is NOT worth it. For those who want to debate this, I refer you back to your ORM training.

Well if you are going to go to ORM training......each individual will make their own call based on the situation encountered.

RiverJ.....let's get real....we are talking about taking your right hand and touching your right eyebrow for less then 1 second......it takes longer then that to turn on your radio.

If you are that coordination impared....maybe you should not be driving a car at all.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP