Another one joining the RM

Started by jb512, June 09, 2008, 03:14:23 AM

Stonewall

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 09, 2008, 04:57:37 PMMost missions C-5's get are from CONUS to Europe/Asia. The Galaxy is too big for almost all in-theater operations and requires long, paved runways. Activation is quite possible, but deployment? Just a regular AEF rotation of 90 days to Manas or something like that. Now if he was a C-17 or C-130 crew... that'd be different.

He's right.  C-5s do not "deploy" as other airlift squadrons do.  In fact, at my last C-130 squadron they converted to C-5s and lots of the airlift support guys were bummed because they'd lose out on overseas tours (money) because the guys like Life Support don't deploy in support of C-5 missions.  The C-5s fly out from CONUS and come back a couple weeks later.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: proveritas on June 09, 2008, 03:41:33 PM
For the record, most of the kids I know (besides cadets) would be happy with an 8-min. mile. Lot of us young folks ain't that fit either...  ;)

Did my 1 1/2 mile run for the Air Guard in 10:36 in April and I'm 35, have had numerous injuries, surgery and I weight in at 208 (6' 2").

As a cadet in my teens, I was 6 foot(ish) and skinny as a rail, but the fasted mile run I could do was about 6:00 minutes.  So 20 years after I joined CAP I am running faster and I'm weighing in about 50 lbs heavier.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 09, 2008, 04:57:37 PM
And where exactly do you think C-5s deploy?

Most missions C-5's get are from CONUS to Europe/Asia. The Galaxy is too big for almost all in-theater operations and requires long, paved runways. Activation is quite possible, but deployment? Just a regular AEF rotation of 90 days to Manas or something like that. Now if he was a C-17 or C-130 crew... that'd be different.

C-5's do go "down range". They just don't stick around since they take up a lot of ramp space and tend to be a very tempting target.

They usually take off from Europe, go down range, download/upload cargo and refuel and then go back to Europe.
Usually makes for a 20+ hour duty day when you include the required pre flight and post flight activities.

The C-141's and the C-17's did/do pretty much the same deal. Only C-130's are based "In theater".

afgeo4

C-130's fly intra-theater airlift. C-17 primarily CONUS to Europe to theater and then, after a few stops, back to Europe and CONUS. C-5's primarily do CONUS - Europe flights as they are more efficient for bulk lift and would be hell if got stuck in the sandbox with a maintenance issue. The transient maintenance folk are able to handle them in Germany, Turkey and other places.
GEORGE LURYE

PHall

I saw C-5's on the ramp at Bagdhad Intl, Balad and Bagram. Doing the same thing we were doing in our C-141, down loading, up loading, refueling and getting the heck outta Dodge.

C-5's haul the big stuff that most other aircraft, with the exception of maybe the An-124, can't handle.

jb512

Well I'm off later today for my interview with the CMSgt of the unit I'm trying to get assigned to and that should be the last thing I have to do.  If all goes well there then I'll be signing the papers and in delayed entry to probably go sometime in November.  I'm hoping to go before 01Nov when they increase basic from 6.5 weeks to 8.5 weeks, but I won't complain either way.

We'll see how it goes...

proveritas

Quote from: Stonewall on June 09, 2008, 08:28:00 PM
Did my 1 1/2 mile run for the Air Guard in 10:36 in April and I'm 35, have had numerous injuries, surgery and I weight in at 208 (6' 2").

As a cadet in my teens, I was 6 foot(ish) and skinny as a rail, but the fasted mile run I could do was about 6:00 minutes.  So 20 years after I joined CAP I am running faster and I'm weighing in about 50 lbs heavier.

Greater physical strength now than as a cadet maybe?
Hannah

RickFranz

I must say I spent 3.5 years of my AF service working for (MAC) AMC.  It was the best time I had in the USAF.  The crews worked very well together and load masters and crew chiefs where treated very well by the Officers.  I hope that has not changed.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

PHall

Quote from: RickFranz on June 11, 2008, 09:41:31 PM
I must say I spent 3.5 years of my AF service working for (MAC) AMC.  It was the best time I had in the USAF.  The crews worked very well together and load masters and crew chiefs where treated very well by the Officers.  I hope that has not changed.

Well it doesn't hurt that the E's usually out number the O's by about 2 or 3 to 1! ;D

hatentx

Hey I think I just met you yesterday.  Cop, C5 loadmaster near Austin?  K-9 unit right???  haha small world.  I was the Army guy

Stonewall

Quote from: hatentx on June 12, 2008, 01:46:44 AM
Hey I think I just met you yesterday.  Cop, C5 loadmaster near Austin?  K-9 unit right???  haha small world.  I was the Army guy

Sounds like him.

Here's a pic:

Serving since 1987.

jb512

Holy @#$%^#@$... where'd you get that pic?

;D

jb512

Quote from: hatentx on June 12, 2008, 01:46:44 AM

If you just met me yesterday, you must be the SPC that showed up at our squadron when I did my quick drive by while I was at work.

Small world it is...

Stonewall

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 12, 2008, 03:54:53 AM

;D

From the "Show Yourself" thread.  You posted it, I just referenced it.  No, I don't work for "them" anymore...
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

So, how'd the interview go.  Stop BSing around and give us the scoop.  You're good to go, right?  Told you.

It's 2300.  I have to be up at 0500 and spend all day in 98 degree temps on the range with basic trainees....ha....you'll be a basic trainee out there with your 5 hours of M-16A2 training...you'll be so bored.  I feel sorry for you.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on June 12, 2008, 03:58:49 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on June 12, 2008, 03:54:53 AM

;D

From the "Show Yourself" thread.  You posted it, I just referenced it.  No, I don't work for "them" anymore...

Ahh... guess I forgot about that pic...  You still up?

Stonewall

Yep.  Slept for 3 hours when I got done on the range today.  I was smoked, now I can't sleep and it's too late to take an Ambien.  I'll be up for a while.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on June 12, 2008, 04:00:43 AM
So, how'd the interview go.  Stop BSing around and give us the scoop.  You're good to go, right?  Told you.

It's 2300.  I have to be up at 0500 and spend all day in 98 degree temps on the range with basic trainees....ha....you'll be a basic trainee out there with your 5 hours of M-16A2 training...you'll be so bored.  I feel sorry for you.

Ok, ok... I'm good to go and got the handshake from the Chief.   ;D  I'm looking at a mid-August start date for basic with all those schools to follow.  I'm hoping to smoke everyone on the range if I get a chance... hehe.

Go to sleep... get some tomorrow...

Stonewall

I coached two trainees and they both did very well, one getting Expert (they get a ribbon).  Yeah, you'll be pulling your hair out.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on June 12, 2008, 04:05:08 AM
I coached two trainees and they both did very well, one getting Expert (they get a ribbon).  Yeah, you'll be pulling your hair out.

I'm a LE firearms instructor so I think I can pull it off, maybe.  ???

I'm headed to the TXWG encampment in two days to actually do that same thing for them.  Got booted from TAC to firearms, but I'm still going to get up with the basics and run my a** off.