Main Menu

Another one joining the RM

Started by jb512, June 09, 2008, 03:14:23 AM

jb512

I'm 32 years old, and I'm going to basic...  :'(  We were at a CAP mission last month where we stayed on base and long story short, it made me kick myself in the a** to do something that I've always wanted to do.

I wanted to keep my cop job, so I'm joining the AF Reserve.  Well, that and I'm too old to go AD and can't afford the paycut anyway.  My recruiter sent me to MEPS last week in San Antonio and got the first steps done.  I scored an 84 on the ASVAB, and got all 1's on the physical which I was happy about since I'm hoping to get a Loadmaster job on the C-5s there at Lackland.

I've been talking to Stonewall a bit about it since he's down there right now for the Army, but apparently for this position I have to interview with the unit before they'll take me as a loadie...  Guess they have to make sure you're not a knuckledragger.

So.. between my Mitchell and four year JROTC certificate I'll get an E-3 paycheck for a while.  Cool beans.

md132

Congratulations.  Good luck and Be careful. 

jb512

Quote from: md132 on June 09, 2008, 03:16:58 AM
Congratulations.  Good luck and Be careful. 

Thanks.  I'm hoping not to fall down and break a hip.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 09, 2008, 03:14:23 AMI've been talking to Stonewall a bit about it since he's down there right now for the Army,

Okay A1C, do push-ups.  I'm former army, now in the Air Guard.....   8)

BTW....you may want to consider trying to ship out before 1 Nov 08....

AF BMT will last 8.5 weeks vs 6 starting November of this year

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 09, 2008, 03:18:16 AMThanks.  I'm hoping not to fall down and break a hip.

I told you, my wife did BMT at age 30 earning "distinguished graduate" and some sort of PT award.  Then she went to tech school and finished at age 32, again earning an award.  It's not impossible and think about it, you'll have an edge because you're used to taking care of kids at home.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on June 09, 2008, 03:19:59 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on June 09, 2008, 03:14:23 AMI've been talking to Stonewall a bit about it since he's down there right now for the Army,

Okay A1C, do push-ups.  I'm former army, now in the Air Guard.....   8)

Ohh, that's right.  It's hard to keep up.

BTW....you may want to consider trying to ship out before 1 Nov 08....

AF BMT will last 8.5 weeks vs 6 starting November of this year

Yeah, I saw that thread over in the other forum.  I want to go as soon as possible to miss that.

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 09, 2008, 03:18:16 AMThanks.  I'm hoping not to fall down and break a hip.

I told you, my wife did BMT at age 30 earning "distinguished graduate" and some sort of PT award.  Then she went to tech school and finished at age 32, again earning an award.  It's not impossible and think about it, you'll have an edge because you're used to taking care of kids at home.

That's what I'm aiming for.  I'm not too worried about the drill or the academics, but for someone who hates running, I'm having to force myself to get up to the honor grad time.

Stonewall

BTW, as far as your "interview" goes, I remembered that I actually "interviewed" at all 3 of my AF squadrons, two guard and one reserves (due to me moving south from DC).  And all 3, to include my initial enlistment into the Air Guard wasn't so much an interview but a meet n' greet.  I can't imagine it being a true job interview as I've never heard of anyone getting turned down for a job in the military that MEPS or the enlistment process didn't already weed out.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Good Luck Airman!  We want some good stories upon your return! 
What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

At 33 I want to re-enlist, but seeing how diabetics are not exactly "Solid Recruits" I will be sitting the sidelines.

I still have 9 years under Army Enlistment to wait for a change that won't happen.....

Eclipse

WOW!  Loadmaster - my best friend was a Loadmaster, and from what he tells me its one of the coolest jobs
short of driving the plane!

Good luck!

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

It's definitely going to be interesting being the old guy trying to keep up with 18 year olds.  At MEPS the only other old people were "retreads" that had prior service and were going back in.

I'm definitely anxious, but I'm glad I'm finally doing it.  I'm going to start drilling in the flight with our cadets, and I'm looking forward to encampment in a few weeks.

mikeylikey

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 09, 2008, 04:05:10 AM
It's definitely going to be interesting being the old guy trying to keep up with 18 year olds.  At MEPS the only other old people were "retreads" that had prior service and were going back in.

I'm definitely anxious, but I'm glad I'm finally doing it.  I'm going to start drilling in the flight with our cadets, and I'm looking forward to encampment in a few weeks.

Actually you would be surprised how many 18-22 year olds show up so flabby and out of shape.  If you get up to 3-4 miles every other day with a run time of 7 to 7.5 minutes per mile, I can see you in front of the middle of the pack.  Don't forget about pushups and situps. 

Are you delayed Enlistment right now?  Are you near a military installation, if so you can use the gym for free. 

You are about to enter the world of cheap beer, cheep commissary beef, and top notch shopping in AAFES PX/BX's. 

While I have your attention, you should (when you get the chance) join one of the military banking institutions.  The most popular is USAA (usaa.com), it has some of the cheapest automobile insurance offerings than most other civilian carriers (allstate, farmers, progressive....etc).  Go talk to a family readiness coordinator or Family support group rep to make sure you set up your family for the future the best you can. 

Finally, (not to alarm you) but you do know you will deploy as soon as possible once you graduate from schooling .  Your job is one of the AF's "hot jobs", meaning they need loadmasters, and there are always deliveries that need to be made.  When you go for your interview, ask when the last deployment was, and when the next one is scheduled for.

I am not AF, but have many AF friends both Enlisted and Officer variety.  I also can put you in touch with a few new Loadmasters (one is 23, the other is 28), they absolutely love it!     
What's up monkeys?

jb512

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 09, 2008, 04:22:16 AM

Actually you would be surprised how many 18-22 year olds show up so flabby and out of shape.  If you get up to 3-4 miles every other day with a run time of 7 to 7.5 minutes per mile, I can see you in front of the middle of the pack.  Don't forget about pushups and situps. 

Are you delayed Enlistment right now?  Are you near a military installation, if so you can use the gym for free. 

I'm not yet.  I have to get some last pieces of paperwork back to the recruiter and get the final paperwork signed.  He covers south Texas for the reserves so I only see him about every other week.  There isn't a base closeby anyway though since I'm in Austin.  Kelly and Lackland are the closest ones down in San Antonio.

You are about to enter the world of cheap beer, cheep commissary beef, and top notch shopping in AAFES PX/BX's. 

While I have your attention, you should (when you get the chance) join one of the military banking institutions.  The most popular is USAA (usaa.com), it has some of the cheapest automobile insurance offerings than most other civilian carriers (allstate, farmers, progressive....etc).  Go talk to a family readiness coordinator or Family support group rep to make sure you set up your family for the future the best you can. 

My wife and I actually already have USAA.  We both came from military families so I know that I've had it since I was a dependent.

Finally, (not to alarm you) but you do know you will deploy as soon as possible once you graduate from schooling .  Your job is one of the AF's "hot jobs", meaning they need loadmasters, and there are always deliveries that need to be made.  When you go for your interview, ask when the last deployment was, and when the next one is scheduled for.

I am not AF, but have many AF friends both Enlisted and Officer variety.  I also can put you in touch with a few new Loadmasters (one is 23, the other is 28), they absolutely love it!     

I'm hoping for deployment actually and I've heard that they do 2 years with 6 months on and 6 off.  It'll be hard on the family life for a while, but if others are doing it then it's only fair.  I'm pretty burned out with cop stuff which is another big reason why I'm doing this so it will be a good refreshing change for a while and I can come back to the job with a new perspective.

I'm all for making new friends in the business.  I'll need all the help and advice I can get.

PHall

All flying jobs require an interview with the unit doing the hiring before they will accept you.
They're about to drop a fair amount of cash to train you and they want to make sure you're a good bet to complete all of your training.

You're probably looking at a one year progression tour.

In that year you have to complete BMT, Enlisted Aircrew Undergraduate School, Initial Loadmaster Qualification course and Water and Land Survival Schools.

Everything but the survival schools is right there at Lackland.

You get to go to Fairchild AFB in Spokane, WA for the survival schools. I would suggest either spring or fall for survival.
Too hot in the summer and too cold and snowy in the winter (snow shoes suck!).

And welcome to the club!

Oh, and learn to like getting shots. Aircrew get just about all of them since they are on "Worldwide Mobility".

jb512

Quote from: PHall on June 09, 2008, 05:01:37 AM
All flying jobs require an interview with the unit doing the hiring before they will accept you.
They're about to drop a fair amount of cash to train you and they want to make sure you're a good bet to complete all of your training.

You're probably looking at a one year progression tour.

In that year you have to complete BMT, Enlisted Aircrew Undergraduate School, Initial Loadmaster Qualification course and Water and Land Survival Schools.

Everything but the survival schools is right there at Lackland.

You get to go to Fairchild AFB in Spokane, WA for the survival schools. I would suggest either spring or fall for survival.
Too hot in the summer and too cold and snowy in the winter (snow shoes suck!).

And welcome to the club!

Oh, and learn to like getting shots. Aircrew get just about all of them since they are on "Worldwide Mobility".

Yeah, that all matches up with everything I've read or heard about the process.  My wife pointed and laughed when I told her I had to go to flight attendant school...  :-\

md132

Jaybird, I envy you.  If it weren't for this diabetes I would be enlisting myself.  And don't worry abuot the age thing.  Here in APG we had 40 year old AIT students (First time, not reclassing or re-enlisting.) and they still beat the 18-19 year olds in PT. 

Stonewall

Quote from: md132 on June 09, 2008, 11:31:31 AM
we had 40 year old AIT students (First time, not reclassing or re-enlisting.) and they still beat the 18-19 year olds in PT. 

I was in better shape at age 30 than I was at age 20.  I think it's a matter of conditioning yourself and getting your body used to doing things like PT.  While at 20 I was thin with a 30" waist, I was stronger and had more endurance at age 30 with a 36" waist. 
Serving since 1987.

proveritas

For the record, most of the kids I know (besides cadets) would be happy with an 8-min. mile. Lot of us young folks ain't that fit either...  ;)

Hannah

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 09, 2008, 04:22:16 AM

And where exactly do you think C-5s deploy?

Most missions C-5's get are from CONUS to Europe/Asia. The Galaxy is too big for almost all in-theater operations and requires long, paved runways. Activation is quite possible, but deployment? Just a regular AEF rotation of 90 days to Manas or something like that. Now if he was a C-17 or C-130 crew... that'd be different.
GEORGE LURYE

PhoenixRisen

Congratulations, sir - and good luck!

Stonewall

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 09, 2008, 04:57:37 PMMost missions C-5's get are from CONUS to Europe/Asia. The Galaxy is too big for almost all in-theater operations and requires long, paved runways. Activation is quite possible, but deployment? Just a regular AEF rotation of 90 days to Manas or something like that. Now if he was a C-17 or C-130 crew... that'd be different.

He's right.  C-5s do not "deploy" as other airlift squadrons do.  In fact, at my last C-130 squadron they converted to C-5s and lots of the airlift support guys were bummed because they'd lose out on overseas tours (money) because the guys like Life Support don't deploy in support of C-5 missions.  The C-5s fly out from CONUS and come back a couple weeks later.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: proveritas on June 09, 2008, 03:41:33 PM
For the record, most of the kids I know (besides cadets) would be happy with an 8-min. mile. Lot of us young folks ain't that fit either...  ;)

Did my 1 1/2 mile run for the Air Guard in 10:36 in April and I'm 35, have had numerous injuries, surgery and I weight in at 208 (6' 2").

As a cadet in my teens, I was 6 foot(ish) and skinny as a rail, but the fasted mile run I could do was about 6:00 minutes.  So 20 years after I joined CAP I am running faster and I'm weighing in about 50 lbs heavier.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 09, 2008, 04:57:37 PM
And where exactly do you think C-5s deploy?

Most missions C-5's get are from CONUS to Europe/Asia. The Galaxy is too big for almost all in-theater operations and requires long, paved runways. Activation is quite possible, but deployment? Just a regular AEF rotation of 90 days to Manas or something like that. Now if he was a C-17 or C-130 crew... that'd be different.

C-5's do go "down range". They just don't stick around since they take up a lot of ramp space and tend to be a very tempting target.

They usually take off from Europe, go down range, download/upload cargo and refuel and then go back to Europe.
Usually makes for a 20+ hour duty day when you include the required pre flight and post flight activities.

The C-141's and the C-17's did/do pretty much the same deal. Only C-130's are based "In theater".

afgeo4

C-130's fly intra-theater airlift. C-17 primarily CONUS to Europe to theater and then, after a few stops, back to Europe and CONUS. C-5's primarily do CONUS - Europe flights as they are more efficient for bulk lift and would be hell if got stuck in the sandbox with a maintenance issue. The transient maintenance folk are able to handle them in Germany, Turkey and other places.
GEORGE LURYE

PHall

I saw C-5's on the ramp at Bagdhad Intl, Balad and Bagram. Doing the same thing we were doing in our C-141, down loading, up loading, refueling and getting the heck outta Dodge.

C-5's haul the big stuff that most other aircraft, with the exception of maybe the An-124, can't handle.

jb512

Well I'm off later today for my interview with the CMSgt of the unit I'm trying to get assigned to and that should be the last thing I have to do.  If all goes well there then I'll be signing the papers and in delayed entry to probably go sometime in November.  I'm hoping to go before 01Nov when they increase basic from 6.5 weeks to 8.5 weeks, but I won't complain either way.

We'll see how it goes...

proveritas

Quote from: Stonewall on June 09, 2008, 08:28:00 PM
Did my 1 1/2 mile run for the Air Guard in 10:36 in April and I'm 35, have had numerous injuries, surgery and I weight in at 208 (6' 2").

As a cadet in my teens, I was 6 foot(ish) and skinny as a rail, but the fasted mile run I could do was about 6:00 minutes.  So 20 years after I joined CAP I am running faster and I'm weighing in about 50 lbs heavier.

Greater physical strength now than as a cadet maybe?
Hannah

RickFranz

I must say I spent 3.5 years of my AF service working for (MAC) AMC.  It was the best time I had in the USAF.  The crews worked very well together and load masters and crew chiefs where treated very well by the Officers.  I hope that has not changed.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

PHall

Quote from: RickFranz on June 11, 2008, 09:41:31 PM
I must say I spent 3.5 years of my AF service working for (MAC) AMC.  It was the best time I had in the USAF.  The crews worked very well together and load masters and crew chiefs where treated very well by the Officers.  I hope that has not changed.

Well it doesn't hurt that the E's usually out number the O's by about 2 or 3 to 1! ;D

hatentx

Hey I think I just met you yesterday.  Cop, C5 loadmaster near Austin?  K-9 unit right???  haha small world.  I was the Army guy

Stonewall

Quote from: hatentx on June 12, 2008, 01:46:44 AM
Hey I think I just met you yesterday.  Cop, C5 loadmaster near Austin?  K-9 unit right???  haha small world.  I was the Army guy

Sounds like him.

Here's a pic:

Serving since 1987.

jb512

Holy @#$%^#@$... where'd you get that pic?

;D

jb512

Quote from: hatentx on June 12, 2008, 01:46:44 AM

If you just met me yesterday, you must be the SPC that showed up at our squadron when I did my quick drive by while I was at work.

Small world it is...

Stonewall

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 12, 2008, 03:54:53 AM

;D

From the "Show Yourself" thread.  You posted it, I just referenced it.  No, I don't work for "them" anymore...
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

So, how'd the interview go.  Stop BSing around and give us the scoop.  You're good to go, right?  Told you.

It's 2300.  I have to be up at 0500 and spend all day in 98 degree temps on the range with basic trainees....ha....you'll be a basic trainee out there with your 5 hours of M-16A2 training...you'll be so bored.  I feel sorry for you.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on June 12, 2008, 03:58:49 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on June 12, 2008, 03:54:53 AM

;D

From the "Show Yourself" thread.  You posted it, I just referenced it.  No, I don't work for "them" anymore...

Ahh... guess I forgot about that pic...  You still up?

Stonewall

Yep.  Slept for 3 hours when I got done on the range today.  I was smoked, now I can't sleep and it's too late to take an Ambien.  I'll be up for a while.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on June 12, 2008, 04:00:43 AM
So, how'd the interview go.  Stop BSing around and give us the scoop.  You're good to go, right?  Told you.

It's 2300.  I have to be up at 0500 and spend all day in 98 degree temps on the range with basic trainees....ha....you'll be a basic trainee out there with your 5 hours of M-16A2 training...you'll be so bored.  I feel sorry for you.

Ok, ok... I'm good to go and got the handshake from the Chief.   ;D  I'm looking at a mid-August start date for basic with all those schools to follow.  I'm hoping to smoke everyone on the range if I get a chance... hehe.

Go to sleep... get some tomorrow...

Stonewall

I coached two trainees and they both did very well, one getting Expert (they get a ribbon).  Yeah, you'll be pulling your hair out.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on June 12, 2008, 04:05:08 AM
I coached two trainees and they both did very well, one getting Expert (they get a ribbon).  Yeah, you'll be pulling your hair out.

I'm a LE firearms instructor so I think I can pull it off, maybe.  ???

I'm headed to the TXWG encampment in two days to actually do that same thing for them.  Got booted from TAC to firearms, but I'm still going to get up with the basics and run my a** off.

Stonewall

Where is the TX Encampment?  If it's close I'll stop by.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on June 12, 2008, 04:10:31 AM
Where is the TX Encampment?  If it's close I'll stop by.

It's up north, just east of Dallas which is at least 5 hours from SA.  We're a pretty big state, but if you end up there your first beer is on me.  The link to it all is at:  www.texascadet.org

jb512

I took my oath of enlistment for the reserves on July 1st, and I should be headed to basic on September 16th.  I'll head from there to my two phases of tech school as a 1A2X1 Loadmaster on C-5s and end up with the 68th Airlift Sqdn at Lackland AFB.

For all the cadets out there, that Mitchell will follow you forever.  It's pretty cool that mine (and/or my 4 year JROTC certificate) helped me out 14 years later to get E-3 when I decided to enlist.

I had hoped to slide in under the radar in basic, but my recruiter is a former TI and said that being old and tall usually makes you stand out a bit... something about dorm chief or element leader.  I'm looking forward to it, and we'll see how it goes.

afgeo4

EEEEk! Dorm chief is the worst job on earth if you have it early on. No one can do anything right and you'll take the blame for all of it (while trying to get the hang of it yourself).

I'd recommend you stay low and quiet. Don't show maturity or leadership. Definitely not in first 4 weeks.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 11, 2008, 05:34:30 AM
EEEEk! Dorm chief is the worst job on earth if you have it early on. No one can do anything right and you'll take the blame for all of it (while trying to get the hang of it yourself).

I don't know.  I think there is a difference between a 19 year old dorm chief and a 32 year old dorm chief, regardless of when you're assigned the position.  As a 32 year old cop with 10 years experience, JB won't have an issue being in charge.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

I don't know about that...  ;)

I re-read my post and it looks like I'm saying that I'm looking forward to dorm chief and that's not it...

I'm looking forward to the experience and the AF, but I'm going to see how long I can stay under the radar.  It's only 6 weeks anyway and judging by some of my friends I've seen who made it through, it can't be that bad.   ::)

My biggest motivator is getting that flight suit, jumping on the plane, and seeing the world.

mikeylikey

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 11, 2008, 08:05:59 PM

My biggest motivator is getting that flight suit, jumping on the plane, and seeing the world.

When you are having a bad day.....remember that thought. 

Also, be the best at PT.  As an "older" guy, showing up the "kids" on the runs is a real motivator to not only you, but everyone else there. 

Expect some real good nicknames.

Finally, I highly recommend USAA! www.usaa.com for your everyday banking and insurance needs.  It is the largest military bank and insurance provider.  They are awesome.

Good luck!  The first few months of your military career are always your most memorable.     
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 11, 2008, 05:24:07 AM
I took my oath of enlistment for the reserves on July 1st, and I should be headed to basic on September 16th.

Ha!!!!I just found out that I'll be back at Lackland for 7-Level school (to get TSgt) on 2 Sep for two weeks.  I'll just miss you getting here.  I could have come over and watched you get your head shaved.
Serving since 1987.

Walkman

Late to the party, but Major Congrats JB!!!!!!!!!!!

jb512

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 11, 2008, 08:20:45 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on July 11, 2008, 08:05:59 PM

When you are having a bad day.....remember that thought. 

Also, be the best at PT.  As an "older" guy, showing up the "kids" on the runs is a real motivator to not only you, but everyone else there. 

Expect some real good nicknames.

Finally, I highly recommend USAA! www.usaa.com for your everyday banking and insurance needs.  It is the largest military bank and insurance provider.  They are awesome.

Good luck!  The first few months of your military career are always your most memorable.     

Thanks mikey.  I welcome any and all advice from you guys who have BTDT.

I've been running my arse off for the past couple of months and have about 8 weeks left till I get there so I hope to be in the front of the pack.

And yeah, I'm sure there will be no shortage of nicknames...

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on July 11, 2008, 09:40:06 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on July 11, 2008, 05:24:07 AM
I took my oath of enlistment for the reserves on July 1st, and I should be headed to basic on September 16th.

Ha!!!!I just found out that I'll be back at Lackland for 7-Level school (to get TSgt) on 2 Sep for two weeks.  I'll just miss you getting here.  I could have come over and watched you get your head shaved.

It might be worth sticking around for...

Stonewall

Actually, ironically enough, I just got an email from my unit training manager, I'm going to the course that starts 16 Sep, not 2 Sep.  So, I may just have to figure out a way to say hi.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on July 12, 2008, 09:30:06 PM
Actually, ironically enough, I just got an email from my unit training manager, I'm going to the course that starts 16 Sep, not 2 Sep.  So, I may just have to figure out a way to say hi.

I'll sure keep you updated on when and where, so maybe you can jump in and yell at me a bit with the others...

afgeo4

Quote from: Stonewall on July 12, 2008, 09:30:06 PM

Yeah... I remember when I was with the 323rd TRS and all the PJ's were doing their runs past our drill pad when we were doing PT. We kinda felt like little pups compared to them.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

Nah, I don't feel like a little pup.  I'm 10 to 15 years older than them and I can throw stuff at them from my 2nd floor room...plus, one of the PJ candidates is a close friend and former cadet of mine dating back to 1995.  I can still kick his arse.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Two words Kirt, Super Soaker.  You're a marksman, let's see how well you do with water! :clap:

jb512

I've got four weeks left...

My physical fitness is right where I want it to be and I'm tidying up loose ends around the house (got the boat and truck for sale for anyone interested  ;) )

Now if I can just keep my work buddies from trying to get me drunk all the time to celebrate me leaving...  They have every weekend planned from now until then.

DNall

We got a Capt over here that's a reserve flight PA on heavies in SA, former cadet that's crewing also. PM me & I'll put you in touch.

By the way, I did Army infantry basic at Ft Benning at 31, and OCS at 32. It's not that big a deal. Congrats & good luck!!

jb512

I'm glad for the encouragement and I'll be sending the pm...

Flying Pig

I am still looking into OSI as a IMA Reserve Enlisted Agent if anyone has any info on that.  My biggest bit of info I am looking for is that Im being told that FLETC is cut down for current Law Enforcement Officer, and others are telling me it is not.  And both bits of info are coming from people who should know! That is a difference between 16 or 12 weeks.  Im still in the "thinking about it" phase.  But with 8 years prior service it would be a good way to spend the last 12.  My big concern is my current Dept position.  As the airplane driver, it could cause issues packing up and leaving the plane on the ground for 4 months.  Although my Deputy job is safe, nothing says they have to hold any special assignments for you.   I could come back and find someone else sitting in my seat!

I do find it interesting that a FLETC is plus the OSI course is 16 weeks, however my basic Sheriff's academy was 28 weeks with 5 months of street training after the academy.  But from what I've read, the "First Responder" things are not covered such as pursuits, Domestics, vehicle stops.  Not many agents out there stopping cars.

JayBird.......

I was out at the academy a few weeks ago and was almost floored by the number of Sheriff Recruits ages, 21-25 who couldnt run a mile without walking and could barely do pushups.  So don't psych yourself out on your age.  Im 33 and could FAR out PT about 90% of the 40 man class.

DNall

^I understand it is cut down, but I'd have to find the source on that, and I'm not really in the group that "should" know.

I do understand the concern on the pilot gig. That has to be the same concern at 12wks as it is at 16. The difference in the two timeframes shouldn't be a show stopper. I don't know what to tell you about keeping the job secure. I think I'd do some looking around to see if the state or another agency could mutual aid cover cover down on the slot for you to do military training - and federal LE agent training at that. That's a big boost for your agency at zero cost to them to train you. If you can have that all informally set up & bring it to your boss ready to put into action, I don't see why they couldn't save the position for you.

Let me ask you also, what do they do when you take vacation? They have another pilot, or would they have to get a commercial pilot thru the academy before he could start work?

jb512

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 21, 2008, 02:52:06 PM
Although my Deputy job is safe, nothing says they have to hold any special assignments for you.   I could come back and find someone else sitting in my seat!

I feel your pain on that one.  I'm having to give up my K9 slot and all they have to give me when I get back is street Deputy.

I really had to fight for that too.  I did my research and submitted my memo announcing my service dates and intentions to return along with details on military leave pay and using my vacation and holiday time.  They blew a gasket.

I was told that since I was volunteering and it was initial training that they didn't have to do anything and it was as I was resigning.  I had to research USERRA and the Texas Govt. Code to show them that any military service is covered whether it's voluntary, involuntary, training, or service.  The TX code also says that as a government LE employee they're required to pay me 15 days of military leave pay per federal fiscal year on top of that.

So, I won in the end but it was due to ignorance on their part.  I'm sure they love me now and I'll be stuck in a LE Deputy transportation spot in the jail or something when I get back.  So much for K9, but it's worth it.

DNall

I'm going to have to check how it applies to training versus actual deployment, but I know state employees still draw full-time pay while deployed at least. I know a buddy of mine was drawing full-time paramedic pay the whole 15 months he was gone to Iraq... to bad he came back & the wife already spent it all - make that ex-wife.

They'll come around, they always do. Are you working for Travis Co?

afgeo4

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 22, 2008, 05:44:22 AM
Although my Deputy job is safe, nothing says they have to hold any special assignments for you.   I could come back and find someone else sitting in my seat!

I feel your pain on that one.  I'm having to give up my K9 slot and all they have to give me when I get back is street Deputy.

I really had to fight for that too.  I did my research and submitted my memo announcing my service dates and intentions to return along with details on military leave pay and using my vacation and holiday time.  They blew a gasket.

I was told that since I was volunteering and it was initial training that they didn't have to do anything and it was as I was resigning.  I had to research USERRA and the Texas Govt. Code to show them that any military service is covered whether it's voluntary, involuntary, training, or service.  The TX code also says that as a government LE employee they're required to pay me 15 days of military leave pay per federal fiscal year on top of that.

So, I won in the end but it was due to ignorance on their part.  I'm sure they love me now and I'll be stuck in a LE Deputy transportation spot in the jail or something when I get back.  So much for K9, but it's worth it.

You can always switch to military LE K-9
GEORGE LURYE

jb512

Quote from: DNall on August 22, 2008, 09:37:07 PM
I'm going to have to check how it applies to training versus actual deployment, but I know state employees still draw full-time pay while deployed at least. I know a buddy of mine was drawing full-time paramedic pay the whole 15 months he was gone to Iraq... to bad he came back & the wife already spent it all - make that ex-wife.

They'll come around, they always do. Are you working for Travis Co?

I work for Williamson County, north Austin/Round Rock area.  As far as I know they only have to pay me 15 days then I get nothing.  My K9 Lieutenant is a CSM in the Guard, went to Bosnia for a year, and that's all he got.  I heard that perdiem is where you make it up though.

jb512

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 24, 2008, 03:35:50 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on August 22, 2008, 05:44:22 AM

You can always switch to military LE K-9

I thought about it for about a second.  I've been doing cop stuff for 11 years, 8 of them in K9, I'm ready for a change, and I really want to fly.  Loadmaster is going to be a blast and a good change for a while.

jb512

Ok, I'm outta here.  I show up at Lackland at 7:30 tomorrow morning.  I'll see you guys after 31 October...

PhoenixRisen

jb512

...And I'm done.

BMT pretty much sucks and I was glad to get it out of the way. I graduated last week and now I'm at Tech School which is 100 times better. I just started Aircrew Fundamentals which rocks. The dorms are nice and other than a few rules and inspections it feels just like college.

PhoenixRisen

DC

Quote from: jaybird512 on November 08, 2008, 04:30:51 AM
...And I'm done.

BMT pretty much sucks and I was glad to get it out of the way. I graduated last week and now I'm at Tech School which is 100 times better. I just started Aircrew Fundamentals which rocks. The dorms are nice and other than a few rules and inspections it feels just like college.
Congrats, Airman!

DNall

Quote from: jaybird512 on November 08, 2008, 04:30:51 AM
...And I'm done.

Yep, that's about how it works. I don't know what the rate of article 15s at AF tech school is versus Army AIT, but I have to imagine it's pretty high also.

jb512

I think they said about one a month in this squadron.  The biggest problem is underage drinking and intoxication for the most part.  I've realized since I've been here that I really don't miss being 18 years old too...

DNall

you lock up a bunch of young kids with no privileges/freedom or access to alcohol or the opposite sex, then let them loose all at once... yeah kinda like college.  >:D

AlphaSigOU

I'm assuming that tech school students are still under the graduated phase program, in which increased privileges are granted over time. First couple of weeks trainees are under Phase I, which is essentially full restriction to quarters. After 2-3 weeks, one goes to Phase II, in which trainees can leave the dorms but are restricted to base. After about 4 weeks, they enter Phase III, in which they can sign out to go off base and are essentially unrestricted. But for those who get caught 'phase busting', privileges get rolled back.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jb512

Yeah, it's kinda like that in three phases.  I just phased up so I was able to go to the BX and buy some pull-ups and big boy bedsheets last night.

The aircrew classes and environment are done on a fairly tough and mature level especially since more than half of the classes from what I've seen are prior service re-classifying into one of the aircrew AFSCs.  It's almost humorous leaving the schoolhouse, walking down the hill, and it how the environment turns into disneyland.

The classes and the job are awesome, I'm just ready to become operational and get out of the daycare.

Sorry, just had to vent a little.

RogueLeader

Our Company had about a 10% Article 15 rate.  Alcohol and tobacco were the main culprits.  I wish our AIT was like the AF, they had it soooooo much better.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 21, 2008, 02:11:42 AM
Our Company had about a 10% Article 15 rate.  Alcohol and tobacco were the main culprits.  I wish our AIT was like the AF, they had it soooooo much better.

Trust me, I've been to Army AIT and Air Fore Tech School.  Although Army AIT is "harder", the relaxed state of Air Force tech school does more harm than good.  I wished every day at AF tech school that they would ramp up the military discipline up to the Army level.  Mostly a bunch of unsupervised punks thinking they're bigger and badder than the next guy.
Serving since 1987.

DNall

Army uses phases too. You have to if you really turned people lose after basic with all that pay saved up, they'd be broke with a criminal record & a paternity case inside the first couple weeks. You have to help them adjust back to the real world. TRADOC is pretty jacked up too though.

PHall

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 21, 2008, 02:11:42 AM

I know when I went through Air Force Tech School that if you got an article 15 you could pretty much kiss the Air Force good bye, a "Failure To Adapt" discharge was in your very near future.

Usually if you did something stupid you just get nailed with weekend detail duty. This ensured you weren't going anywhere.
Usually a weekend or two shoveling/sweeping the sidewalks and such ensured you would be a little bit smarter next time.

Of course, if you did something stupid enough to warrant an Article 15 you usually got it and your exit from the Air Force was started.

DNall

The Army is fairly prolific with Art15s at AIT. They'd rather charge you, take some pay & rank, then actually impose discipline. It's kind of a mess.

RogueLeader

Quote from: DNall on November 21, 2008, 07:04:23 AM
The Army is fairly prolific with Art15s at AIT. They'd rather charge you, take some pay & rank, then actually impose discipline. It's kind of a mess.

I'd have to agree, although they did give weekend duty to the midly screwed up.  I never got in trouble though. :angel:
WYWG DP

GRW 3340