Should CAP members have BX privileges?

Started by Stonewall, April 18, 2008, 06:12:12 PM

Should CAP members be allowed to shop at AAFES?

Yes, everyone in CAP, all the time.
32 (34.4%)
All members, but only while performing official CAP duties (encampment, NSCASs, Prof Dev.)
8 (8.6%)
No, never, we'd abuse it and screw it up.
12 (12.9%)
BX while on official duty, MCSS 100% of the time, to include online.
41 (44.1%)

Total Members Voted: 93

RiverAux

Given the amount of time it takes to get checked in at base (totally different topic there), it certainly isn't worth the time of any CAP members in my area to go there except for special items. 

RAZOR

As an active member of the military I say no. BX privledges are reserved for those who are currently serving, their dependents and retired military. This is a privledge for those who have served and are serving. Sorry to be so blunt.

Put the shoe on the other foot, if CAP had a BX specifically designated for CAP, how would it feel for the those in the military to come in and take from you uniform supplies that you need or any other materials you might need? CAP has vanguard and you should use it.

MikeD

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 18, 2008, 09:20:39 PM
GAS was a good benefit from AAFES about 5 years ago, but now there is only a 12 to 18 cent difference between AAFES GAS and off post gas. 

Perhaps those that are working the VSAF program should get full exchange benefits!  I would like to see it start there first!  Nothing better than paying 3 bucks to see a new movie or getting a case of PBR beer for like 5 bucks! 

Gas for me from AAFES isn't that much cheaper.  I think it's mostly because they jack up the price a little slower.  Maybe 5 cents or so.

I work on Edwards AFB, and civilians including non-DOD civilians can shop at the BX, at least for some things (I know booze and smokes are out, sadly).  I've never tried a big purchase like a TV or computer though.

On Edwards, the bulk of people on base are contractors or civil service so I think thats why its open to us.  I just showed my work badge the few times I had to buy something there.

SarDragon

Things to remember when doing price comparisons:

Some states have sales tax. The base price might be cheaper off base, but will be more expensive when adding in the sales tax. This is also a factor in gas prices - no state taxes on the base.

You need to compare brand for brand. I know people who try to compare store brands off-base to the stuff in the exchanges, and it doesn't work. If you're pricing Levi's on base, look at Levi's off base, too.

Aside from that, I echo Razor's view. You want it, you earn it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

capchiro

Does it make any difference to the topic, if CAP members are allowed Officer Club provileges??  With the drawdown in size in the military, I would think that the BX's and Commissaries would be looking for the business that CAP members could bring to them.  Don't talk to a veteran about earning it, when he has been there and done that and is now donating his time for free to assist the Air Force.  Anything that the military can extend to us without cost to them should be done.  Some CAP members spend as much time if not more assisting CAP as non-activated reservist and national guardsmen.  And, let's not forget, CAP members are not compensated for a valuable service. 
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Ford73Diesel

I'd say no.

Gas at WPAFB is actually more expensive on base the last time I was there.

Than again, my brother (CAP cadet) is also in the Coast Guard, so if I want something, he just buys it for me.

mikeylikey

Quote from: RAZOR on April 19, 2008, 12:57:17 AM
As an active member of the military I say no. BX privileges are reserved for those who are currently serving, their dependents and retired military. This is a privilege for those who have served and are serving. Sorry to be so blunt.

Put the shoe on the other foot, if CAP had a BX specifically designated for CAP, how would it feel for the those in the military to come in and take from you uniform supplies that you need or any other materials you might need? CAP has vanguard and you should use it.

Thats a very hard line stance.  I don't know of one instance where a CAP member purchased the last uniform item at MCSS and an enlisted guy got screwed over.    

The military community also has Vanguard......use it!

Quote from: capchiro on April 19, 2008, 01:26:58 AM
Does it make any difference to the topic, if CAP members are allowed Officer Club privileges?? 

The Clubs, consolidate clubs and enlisted clubs on most bases/ posts are open to civilians.  My local O-Club does not extend membership to anyone but military Officers (and I have to say that is a good thing, as Officers just like enlisted need a place to go vent without the other group around). The Consolidated club down the street offers CAP members membership, and the awesome Chase credit card that doubles as a club membership card.  The Clubs are disappearing from most posts/bases/stations.  They are desperate for people to join.  I think the local Commander is the ultimate authority on who is allowed to join or not.  

As far as exchange benefits go, letting CAP members shop there will not hugely impact the services they offer.    
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

As an active member of the military I say no. BX privledges are reserved for those who are currently serving, their dependents and retired military. This is a privledge for those who have served and are serving. Sorry to be so blunt.

RAZOR, you forget that we ARE serving our country and we do lose members while on missions for USAF from time to time. How is that less deserving of the privilege to spend money at BX than any service member who gets paid for the job?
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 19, 2008, 01:59:10 AM
As an active member of the military I say no. BX privileges are reserved for those who are currently serving, their dependents and retired military. This is a privilege for those who have served and are serving. Sorry to be so blunt.

Thats a very hard line stance.  I don't know of one instance where a CAP member purchased the last uniform item at MCSS and an enlisted guy got screwed over.   

Does it make any difference to the topic, if CAP members are allowed Officer Club privileges?? 

The Clubs, consolidate clubs and enlisted clubs on most bases/ posts are open to civilians.  My local O-Club does not extend membership to anyone but military Officers (and I have to say that is a good thing, as Officers just like enlisted need a place to go vent without the other group around). The Consolidated club down the street offers CAP members membership, and the awesome Chase credit card that doubles as a club membership card.  The Clubs are disappearing from most posts/bases/stations.  They are desperate for people to join.  I think the local Commander is the ultimate authority on who is allowed to join or not. 

As far as exchange benefits go, letting CAP members shop there will not hugely impact the services they offer.   
How in the world did that service member get screwed over? That service member should have gone to Customer Service and placed an order for that item and would have received it in a couple of days without tax or shipping charges. The MCSS doesn't guarantee product to be in stock. It ain't Blockbuster.
GEORGE LURYE

jpnelson82

I like this poll. It gives me a chance to maybe get a debate solved. I say a CAP ID is not good enough to get on base (w/out a DoD sticker). The Personnel officer says it is. Does it vary by base? So a base like Andrews it won't work, but at Warner Robbins or Peterson it will. Who is right?
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000

mikeylikey

The DOD guidance is that only those personnel posesing a CAC are entitled to entry.  Then the guidance gives the local Commander the ability to dictate who else can come on post/ base and what credentials they need.

No where is it written that CAP can legally be allowed to enter military posts/ bases, it has always been the Commanders discretion.  So some blame the SF personnel or Gate Guards, when in fact it really was the Commander telling CAP no to entry!   
What's up monkeys?

jpnelson82

;D Thank you MikeyLikey, I will take that as I was right.  :clap: :clap: .
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000

Stonewall

Was at Moody AFB where they don't require decals.  Last year, it was an AF wide move to get rid of the DOD decal because it costs so much money to buy them and since 9/11 they've been doing 100% ID checks anyway.

Back to the BX thing.

Like someone said above, many CAP members devote more time than a lot of Guard and Reserve members.  That said, what's the percentage of members that do that?  If you ask me, not enough to warrant giving all of CAP the privilege of using the BX full-time.

Of the 60K members in CAP, how many just pay their dues each year for benefits like flying clubs?  I'm pretty sure, more people would join or renew just to have BX privileges but giving nothing in return.

And to the non-retired veterans, you did your time, be it a 4 or 10 year stint, and during that time you got free healthcare, BX and Commisary privileges and MWR bennies.  But you got out and those privileges go away.  Retire or go in the Guard/Reserves and you get to maintain those privileges.  When I had a break in service of 3 years, I lost all those privileges and I will admit, I missed them.  Especially living in DC where I had a ton of bases to choose from.  I chose to re-enlist into the Guard, not for BX privileges, but because I missed serving in the MILITARY; all the while maintaining active membership in CAP.  At no time did I feel that I was owed something for my CAP membership.  I already had access to our base, Ft. Belvoir, and if I truly wanted to use the PX, I could throw on my flightsuit or wear my CAP BDUs with a goretex jacket, even without rank, and still not get questioned.

Again, I reiterate my vote, and that's use of BX and Commisary while on CAP orders and full use of the Military Clothing Sales Store (MCSS) to include online access.  And I say this as a veteran, member of the National Guard and 21 year member of CAP.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on April 19, 2008, 01:36:52 PM
Again, I reiterate my vote, and that's use of BX and Commissary while on CAP orders and full use of the Military Clothing Sales Store (MCSS) to include on line access.  And I say this as a veteran, member of the National Guard and 21 year member of CAP.

I am all for that.  When on CAP orders, you should be able to make use of the military benefits.  They were available to CAP members until "something" happened in the late 1970's.  I mean, come on (not to bash the Coast Guard AUX), but I think CAP members perform more missions then they do.  Yet, the Coast Guard (and Navy) treat the CGAUX with more respect by offering to them the benefits of shopping at their exchanges. 

-Side Note, I can't imagine losing my benefits if I were to leave the service.  I rely to much on them now as it is.  (in fact, I am off to the Commissary this morning, because they have an unadvertised case lot sale going on this weekend). 
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 19, 2008, 03:00:36 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on April 19, 2008, 01:59:10 AM

Thats a very hard line stance.  I don't know of one instance where a CAP member purchased the last uniform item at MCSS and an enlisted guy got screwed over.   

The Clubs, consolidate clubs and enlisted clubs on most bases/ posts are open to civilians.  My local O-Club does not extend membership to anyone but military Officers (and I have to say that is a good thing, as Officers just like enlisted need a place to go vent without the other group around). The Consolidated club down the street offers CAP members membership, and the awesome Chase credit card that doubles as a club membership card.  The Clubs are disappearing from most posts/bases/stations.  They are desperate for people to join.  I think the local Commander is the ultimate authority on who is allowed to join or not. 

How in the world did that service member get screwed over? That service member should have gone to Customer Service and placed an order for that item and would have received it in a couple of days without tax or shipping charges. The MCSS doesn't guarantee product to be in stock. It ain't Blockbuster.

Since the tennant units on a base share in the profits of the Exchange system, I fail to see how even a slight increase in business results in troops geting "Screwed over."
Another former CAP officer

Stonewall

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 19, 2008, 01:56:44 PMI mean, come on (not to bash the Coast Guard AUX), but I think CAP members perform more missions then they do.  Yet, the Coast Guard (and Navy) treat the CGAUX with more respect by offering to them the benefits of shopping at their exchanges. 

I think the CGAUX is taken more seriously, more as a "brother in arms" thing, than CAP because of the cadet program.  They don't have kids (we all know I mean cadets) and can carry themselves a lot more professionally than we can when we show up to missions with the scrawny 13 year old draped with LBE dragging on the ground.  Perhaps the military as a whole just can't bare to give such privileges to a youth organization.  Just a thought.

I too use the Commisary BX (NEX in my case) on a weekly basis.  I hit the commisary a few times a month and the NEX at least once a week. 
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

Well, the CGAux also allows everyone to apply for CG tech school, in addition to the CG/Navy version of AFIADL, our ID cards look better and everyone can wear the uniform, but lets not make this a uniform thread.

Now Im not bashing CAP NHQ, I just think that we have yet to utilize both our full potential, and we (CAP) havent used the right person to approach the USAF about these things.

To clarify this poll:
What is the difference between these two:

All members, but only while performing official CAP duties (encampment, NSCAs, Prof Dev.)

&

??
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on April 19, 2008, 02:44:12 PM
I too use the Commissary BX (NEX in my case) on a weekly basis.  I hit the commissary a few times a month and the NEX at least once a week. 

I have only been to one NEX and that was at Quantico.  I was not that impressed.  I do see that all the military exchanges are getting together and using the Military Star Card, and NEX/Marine Corps patrons can use the on line shopping provided by AAFES.

Perhaps a pilot program allowing those that work the VSAF program will get unlimited exchange benefits.  We can see how it goes from there.  I would also support that if CAP did get benefits, only CAP Officers, with CAP Cadets still limited to clothing and Sundry items only. 
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 19, 2008, 03:55:46 PM

To clarify this poll:
What is the difference between these two:

All members, but only while performing official CAP duties (encampment, NSCAs, Prof Dev.)

&

I probably didn't phrase it very well since I added the fourth option last, but the last one just adds the full-time use of MCSS to include online ordering, something we can't do now.  Also, and I should have clarified this, but I would like to allow CAP members full use of the MCSS, not just for uniform items.

I remember as a new cadet in 1987 I visited my sister and bro-in-law at Ft. Meade, MD.  I went to the MCSS to buy field gear and they wouldn't let me.  I had to get my bro-in-law to go buy it for me with AD ID card.

As a senior in DC Wing, Ft. Belvoir would let us buy anything in their MCSS, gear, gore-tex, boots, glasses, packs; it didn't matter.   Our squadron had been there since the 60s or 70s and they knew who we were.  We had an excellent relationship with the base leadership. 
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

QuoteI mean, come on (not to bash the Coast Guard AUX), but I think CAP members perform more missions then they do.
Just a point of order -- the CG Aux doesn't think in terms of individual "missions" for the most part.  Since CAP doesn't keep track of members time like CG Aux does you can't really compare the amount of effort very well.  You can compare results of at least one CG Aux mission -- In 2007 the CG Aux saved 193 lives and provided non-livesaving assistance to 5,900 people.  About double CAP's count.