Is a Air NG/AF type of relationship possible for CAP?

Started by RiverAux, October 06, 2007, 05:53:10 AM

JayT

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 19, 2007, 02:17:01 AM
Quote from: JThemann on October 18, 2007, 09:48:05 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 17, 2007, 01:58:25 AM
Quote from: JThemann on October 16, 2007, 12:14:10 AM
But what happens if our guys don't come when called?

You will never be called again.  They can't depend on you.

Okay, let me rephrase sir.

What if I get called, and I can't leave my midterm? What if I can't leave my job? What if I'm sick?

No matter who we 'work' for, ES wise, we're still civilian volunteers.

In spite of the generally argumentive tone that I pick up on from your posts, you have raised an interesting point.

Most states have laws similar to the federal veterans re-employment law protecting Guard troops called to state active duty.  I believe if we were assigned to the Guard and called up by the governor under Title 36, that we would fall under these laws.  Some states have already specifically included CAP as part of their Guard structure and have extended job protection to us.

I would love to see a law on the books that would cover volunteer emegency workers, that would be awesome.

Sorry if my post came off as sarcastic.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

CAP_truth

If we were to change to a state controlled organization we would have 50 political wing commanders being appointed by governors who has a friend who wants to run around with eagles on their shoulder. The system we currently using is the Air Force, FEMA, Homeland Security, U.S. Customs, state and local governments, etc. are clients for our services. We received federal funding and support from the Air Force for our programs. We should remain as we are now and first fix the problems we have internally before we try to change the structure of the organization. If we do away as an Air Force Auxiliary we loss wearing the AF uniforms, state directors, free uniforms for cadet, and even air lifts. My vote is that we stay the way we are.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

mikeylikey

Quote from: USCAP_truth on October 22, 2007, 08:05:11 PM
If we do away as an Air Force Auxiliary we loss wearing the AF uniforms, state directors, free uniforms for cadet, and even air lifts. My vote is that we stay the way we are.

Some of that MAY NOT BE A BAD THING! 

Also, Wing Kings are most already appointed by friends.....hell they move up to Vice Commander because of who they know most of the time, and even if they are an idiot, they are most likely going to be the Wing Commander after the current is gone.  Having a State Governor appoint the Wing Commander through each states Adjutant Generals Office could be a good thing.  Heck, if each Wing CC were appointed by the governors office, I think our relationships in each state would be solid.
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

The last I checked, the Air National Guard was a part of the US Air Force.  I think they still are, but with all the news about Britney and all, I might have missed the change.

If we are part of the Air Force under the Air University, why would we lose auxiliary status under the Air National Guard?

Sorry, CAPTruth, but I don't think I understand your point.

We would STILL, as a Guard asset, fly for Customs, DEA, AFRCC, 1st AF , and we would still do so as an auxiliary of the USAF.  Our "Corporate" missions, however, would all be as a state asset, under the Adjutant General.  That way, we wouldhave state protection of jobs, state benefits if injured, etc.  There are a LOT of benefits to this idea.

If a local EOC, the Red Cross, or any other entity wants CAP for a mission, they would call the Asst AG for Air with the request.  The AG would assign the mission to the wing, and re-imbursement would be from the state.  The state may or may not bill the using entity, that would be their call and based on the laws of the state.
Another former CAP officer