When do you become a big deal in the military?

Started by themainmane, April 06, 2016, 08:40:13 PM

THRAWN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 08, 2016, 11:44:36 PM
Quote from: scooter on April 08, 2016, 11:10:42 PM
Forgot the enlisted troops. Senior NCO are a big deal and recognized as such by their Commanders.

I have a lot of respect for SNCOs E-7 through E-9, but E-9s definitely get my attention.

It depends. There is a big delta between an E9 and a Master Chief and you can tell the difference.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

GroundHawg

Rank wise, I think it really depends on the service and whether you are active or not.
Ive heard in the Navy and Coast Guard, making Chief is the career maker.
In the Army and Marine Corps, E7s are fairly common, but E8 and up are rare.
In the Air Force, due to lack of Warrants, E8 and below are common, but making Chief is it.
That being said, if you are Guard or Reserves makes a difference.
In my experiences in the Army and Air Guard, making E6 is almost impossible, where in the Reserves its almost automatic.
I always looked at CWO's as a big deal, they are officers, yet get mad respect from the enlisted. They get all the benefits and none of the BS. I would go back in this very second if I were offered WOC.

Also as has been alluded to above, if you have certain bling you get "big deal" status. When I went from the Army to the Air Force, I had badges and medals that were viewed by my fellow unit members (especially the junior enlisted) as a "big deal". They were commonplace in the unit I had left and I have no idea what the fuss was about.

Bryce7454

Quote from: lordmonar on April 09, 2016, 12:01:30 PM
Quote from: Bryce7454 on April 09, 2016, 06:28:37 AM
When you do something that has contributed to the defense of the nation. Not when you get to wear colorful shapes on your shoulders.
Ehm......everyone who wears the uniform from the lowliest AB at BMTS to the retriing 4 Star AD/NG/RES contributes to the defense of the nation.
I mean like like doing your job well and not flaunting around because you earned a uniform. That's what military members should focus on, doing their job well and. I'm not saying that our men and women in uniform don't generally do that I'm just saying there have been some who seem care more about bragging rights. Not saying they are bad people just that they can make the military look bad.

kwe1009

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 09, 2016, 01:58:35 PM
In the Air Force, due to lack of Warrants, E8 and below are common, but making Chief is it.

E-8's are not that common. Only 2% of the enlisted force is an E-8 and 1% is an E-9. 

Quote from: THRAWN on April 09, 2016, 01:13:06 PM

It depends. There is a big delta between an E9 and a Master Chief and you can tell the difference.

Agreed.  I have known a lot of E-8's and E-9's in my career but unfortunately very few Seniors and Chiefs.

To answer the OP about when you become a big deal in the military, it is very subjective and not necessarily based on rank.  I have worked for people with stars on the collar that I was not impressed with at all. They were just good at playing the political game to get promoted.  On the other hand I have worked for Majors/Lt Cols that I would lay down my life for.

stillamarine

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 09, 2016, 01:03:51 PM
As a Marine Corporal at Kadena AFB, I was a pretty big deal.

I was a Lance Corporal stationed on Kadena at K5 Right. The AF always called us Corporal. One of our actual Corporals would get really pissed off. It didn't help when I showed him the MCO that said you could call a LCpl Corporal. 8)
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

PHall

Quote from: stillamarine on April 09, 2016, 02:48:10 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on April 09, 2016, 01:03:51 PM
As a Marine Corporal at Kadena AFB, I was a pretty big deal.

I was a Lance Corporal stationed on Kadena at K5 Right. The AF always called us Corporal. One of our actual Corporals would get really pissed off. It didn't help when I showed him the MCO that said you could call a LCpl Corporal. 8)

Sounds like your Corporal with the 'tude was having problems making Sergeant. Could it be his attitude? >:D

Spam

What was that joke from M*A*S*H*, where Hawkeye pinned his bars on Radar to get him into the O Club? He's a "Corporal Captain", just like Major General or Lieutenant Colonel!

I've always felt (in that vein) that I am the more Lt than Col, Lt Colonel...

CHeers
Spam

kwe1009

Quote from: Spam on April 09, 2016, 04:44:37 PM
What was that joke from M*A*S*H*, where Hawkeye pinned his bars on Radar to get him into the O Club? He's a "Corporal Captain", just like Major General or Lieutenant Colonel!

CHeers
Spam

That was an awesome episode.  I loved that show.

SarDragon

Quote from: Spam on April 09, 2016, 04:44:37 PM

CHeers
Spam

And let us not forget that Major General used to be Sergeant-Major General, many moons ago. The sergeant part as dropped in the early 18th century.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Quote from: PHall on April 09, 2016, 01:56:07 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on April 09, 2016, 12:46:35 AM
When you get your 20 year letter stating that you are eligible for retirement.

I'll see your 20 Year Letter and raise you a 60th Birthday Letter!

Got that too. Uncle Sam kisses me on the first of every month.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Tim Day

I remember when I thought an Ensign (Navy O1) was a big deal. Here at the Pentagon, you might sit next to a 2-star (O8) waiting to get a hair cut at the barber shop. 
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

MHC5096

After I graduated from Quartermaster "A" School in 1989, I had the opportunity to accompany NJROTC cadets from my former high school to a Mini Bootcamp (USMC style) at Parris Island as a chaperone. I may have only been an E-3 at the time, but those USMC recruits at the chow hall sure thought I was big deal. They would scurry out of the way and pop to attention when I went to refill my drink. The Drill Instructors thought it was hilarious.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

lordmonar

I took my cadets to tour the Kitty Hawk at Yokusuka. The ratings all thought I was something special with my CAP captains bars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AirAux

Don't forget Major Major Major in Catch -22.  My favorite was my Dad that retired as a Major after 23 years, bombardier in England (B-24) and Bombardier/Navigator in Korea (A-26).  We can't forget Gen. Lemay.  Now, as a veteran, I think the Wow factor is due every one that served under fire..  Not so much the Garret Troopers, no matter the rank.  An extra kudos to the seasoned combat Medic!!

Disenchanted

When you can wear the Maroon Beret in the USAF
When you can wear the Special Forces Tab on the left sleeve in the US Army
When you can wear the Ranger Tab on the left sleeve in the US Army
When you wear the Combat Infantry Badge
Rank doesn't mean much without character and integrity.

sardak

QuoteWhen you can wear the Ranger Tab on the left sleeve in the US Army Air Force
went through Ranger school as a security forces Airman, and received the Enlisted Leadership Award from your Ranger class  http://www.buckley.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123470660

Mike

abdsp51

Quote from: sardak on April 21, 2016, 03:59:00 AM
QuoteWhen you can wear the Ranger Tab on the left sleeve in the US Army Air Force
went through Ranger school as a security forces Airman, and received the Enlisted Leadership Award from your Ranger class  http://www.buckley.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123470660

Mike

I know 2 of these guys personally.

Spam

I have a coworker on a project who is set to retire as a CW-5 master aviator after 39 years in the Army and the 160th SOAR (go see Blackhawk Down - this is the Geronimo unit as well). Multiple decorations, USN Test Pilot School graduate, uncounted combat deployments at the sharpest point of the Army's aviation spear, and one of the most humble guys you could meet. Still single... good looking... likes women but modest... must be all those years OCONUS. It makes me humble, working with such people. He is, we all agree, a Big Deal.

My take however is, you become a big deal not via decorations or rank, but by stepping up - whether you are a professional military man or one called up just for the war - you serve. If you cant be a snake eater, serve as the best missile tech you can, best clerk typist, or best mechanic possible. Or, failing that, be the best patriotic American, paying your taxes and shouldering your burden to vote RESPONSIBLY to elect your representatives that will commit these men and women to fight for you, if needs be.

From James Michener's "The Bridges at Toko Ri" (1954 film adaptation);

Lt. Harry Brubaker (Reserve Naval Aviator, shot down and about to die): I'm a lawyer from Denver, Colorado.
Mike Forney: Judas, how'd you wind up in a smelly ditch in Korea?
Lt. Harry Brubaker: I was just asking myself that same question.

and [last lines]

RAdm. George Tarrant: Where do we get such men? They leave this ship and they do their job. Then they must find this speck lost somewhere on the sea. When the find it they have to land on it's pitching deck. Where do we get such men?
Man on loudspeaker: Launch jets!

V/R
Spam

AMENDED:  they also serve, who sit and wait. You are officially a Big Deal in the military if you are a patient, supportive, and committed military spouse, or a kid who waits for their parent to come home (which is sometimes never). That's far, far bigger than any tab, badge, or rating.

SarDragon

Quote from: Spam on April 21, 2016, 05:45:14 AMAMENDED:  they also serve, who sit and wait. You are officially a Big Deal in the military if you are a patient, supportive, and committed military spouse, or a kid who waits for their parent to come home (which is sometimes never). That's far, far bigger than any tab, badge, or rating.

Thank you.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

To Spam's point, one of the first things I learned was to never look down on any member just because they haven't heard those extra stripes or they don't have shiny objects on their uniform. You know nothing about this person--their intelligence, their character, or their goals.

Anyone who strives to be the best but is willing to sacrifice their team to get there can get out of the boat and swim the rest of the way. Each person has a role. It's a unit---unity.