Medal of Valor Association FB Group

Started by James Shaw, November 29, 2013, 03:20:11 PM

James Shaw

I will be shutting down the FB page for the MOVA and creating a Group. This will enable me the time to work on it, without having to jump between several different accounts.
Look for CAP Medal of Valor Association. It is for SMV, BMV, and Lifesaving Medal recipients.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

BHartman007

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Brad

Quote from: BHartman007 on November 29, 2013, 06:26:58 PM
How many SMVs are there out there?

You mean besides the one HWSRN gave himself for helping someone change a tire or whatever it was?  ;)
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

a2capt

Is it sad that anytime I see "valor" and awards mention, the first thing that comes to mind are fakers?

Flying Pig

What if you got put in for one, but found the 2a in a desk drawer about 6 years after the deadline  >:D

a2capt

6 years, signed and dated back then? I'd send it up anyway. ;)
The stories we hear .. that wouldn't be too far out of the spectrum.

James Shaw

Quote from: BHartman007 on November 29, 2013, 06:26:58 PM
How many SMVs are there out there?

Approximately 130 SMV's
Approximately 400 BMV's

These date back 50 years or so total.

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 29, 2013, 07:16:34 PM
What if you got put in for one, but found the 2a in a desk drawer about 6 years after the deadline  >:D

Talk to your Chain of Command

Quote from: a2capt on November 29, 2013, 06:58:26 PM
Is it sad that anytime I see "valor" and awards mention, the first thing that comes to mind are fakers?

Fakers as in people not authorized to wear, I am guessing?
Jim Shaw

Flying Pig

I don't want to derail the thread or beat a dead animal..... but

Yeah, I got put in for one and never heard about it, never asked.  I later found it in a desk drawer loooooong after the SqCC had moved on.  I found the 2a about 5 years or so after the incident.  I think there is a 2yr window from the date of the incident.   The actual incident was probably 13-14years ago now.   

Flying Pig

Quote from: a2capt on November 29, 2013, 06:58:26 PM

Probably meaning the HUGE number of incidents of military posers floating around these days. 

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on November 29, 2013, 07:21:06 PM
6 years, signed and dated back then? I'd send it up anyway. ;)
The stories we hear .. that wouldn't be too far out of the spectrum.

Non-starter. There's a two year limit on time, and it is rigidly enforced. We had someone get "black holed" when I first came to the wing, and the resubmission got kicked back.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Quote from: capsafety on November 29, 2013, 07:45:28 PMFakers as in people not authorized to wear, I am guessing?
Yes, and lumping in the "tire changers". Too bad, the fakes outnumber the recipients it seems.

Flying Pig

^Didn't that particular SMoV get recalled?

BHartman007

What kind of event would warrant the S/BMV? It would seem like with the average CAP mission that there wouldn't be nearly so many out there.

RiverAux

They seem to rarely be associated with a CAP mission or with something that someone has done on CAP duty. 

Some sort of statistical analysis of the reasons for issuance of these would be a good topic for the new CAP Historical Journal. 

a2capt

Quote from: BHartman007 on November 29, 2013, 10:10:48 PMWhat kind of event would warrant the S/BMV?
An act that would likely violate several other standing orders, regulations or whatever. ;)

It's not the think you kind of exactly plan for, more like plan to be ready for. But not want to have actually happen.

BHartman007

Wow. I just searched for SMV recipients, and found a knowledgebase article mentioning one being awarded to a member of my squadron a couple of years ago for pulling someone out of a burning vehicle.

BHartman007

Quote from: BHartman007 on November 29, 2013, 10:28:02 PM
Wow. I just searched for SMV recipients, and found a knowledgebase article mentioning one being awarded to a member of my squadron a couple of years ago for pulling someone out of a burning vehicle.

Of course, I just looked him up in eservices and the award isn't listed.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BHartman007 on November 29, 2013, 10:30:48 PM

Decorations are not currently tracked in eServices, except for cadet milestone awards and the Gill Robb Wilson (Level V) PD award.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

James Shaw

Quote from: BHartman007 on November 29, 2013, 10:30:48 PM

SMV, BMV, and DSA's are tracked by NHQ. They have a file of them. They have yet to put them online. The group is trying to collect and verify recipients. This will eventually make it to a website. There is another thread that has an excel spreadsheet with some of the confirmed recipients.
Jim Shaw

GroundHawg

Quote from: capsafety on November 29, 2013, 03:20:11 PM
I will be shutting down the FB page for the MOVA and creating a Group. This will enable me the time to work on it, without having to jump between several different accounts.
Look for CAP Medal of Valor Association. It is for SMV, BMV, and Lifesaving Medal recipients.

I didn't realize that the Lifesaving Medal qualified for membership into this group. I will pass this information along.