Oakridge man faces sex abuse charges

Started by Private Investigator, May 05, 2013, 05:25:38 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

Several years ago our oldest daughter brought her new husband to meet the family.  He seemed to be OK but maybe a bit weird.  He was a Navy E8, and a powerplant instructor for destroyers at Norfolk, Va.  On the surface everything seemed to be as it should, but as we engaged in family activities he would spend far more time with the kids than the adults.  about a year later, he and our daughter had been married about 18 months and had a new baby.  When his ship came in from a training exercise he was met by civilian police and "invited" to go downtown for an interview.  He was charged with three counts of sexual abuse on a child.  The child was his own daughter from a previous marriage and had happened 11 years earlier.  His career destroyed, my daughter divorced him as quickly as she could and had him barred from ever having contact with his child, and the State of Virginia put him away for a number of years.
  There are still a lot of questions on the time line and why it took so long to come to light but in the end he did confess and admit to the event.   We, the family only met with him a few times during vacations in the 18 months he and our daughter were together and although there seemed to be "something" about him and his desire to spend most of his time with the younger children it never crossed any of our minds what was lurking in the background.  (footnote) serious counselling of our daughters three children determined he did not act inappropriately towards them.

We look at the mugshots and we "see" the wild eyed look and wonder why people on the street did not notice the "look" before they were caught.  But then the look in an animals face when it is free is far different than the look a trapped animal gives.  (note):  not comparing or calling them animals, just using this as an illustration).
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Devil Doc

Quote from: mwewing on May 06, 2013, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on May 06, 2013, 08:27:57 AM
I would advise you to look up the definition of a pedophile.  It generally defines someone who prefers prepubescent children. 

Okay, then he is an ephebophile. As you stated, regardless of the terminology used, this is disgusting.

Quote from: bflynn on May 06, 2013, 08:48:14 AM
I don't believe that there was any assignment of priority - I read it to say that two wrongs are worse than one.

I just don't follow that logic. His statement implied that somehow an adult attracted to a minor of the opposite gender is less wrong than if the adult were attracted to minors of the same gender. If one accepts that comment at face value, then its actually the attraction to members of the same gender that is worse than being attracted to minors.

Quote from: bflynn on May 06, 2013, 08:48:14 AM
Yes, there are people who believe homosexuality is wrong based on religious beliefs.  Are you going to tell them they must change their religion?   Different topic.

It is a very different topic indeed, which is why I am somewhat troubled that the 2 were linked together. Everyone has a right to their opinions, and Devil Doc has certainly earned his rights the hard way. I just can't stand people continuously tying child molesters and homosexuals together. A child molester is a child molester. PERIOD.

I am not trying to link them together. What I am trying to say is, if it was a girl and guy, to me, it is more understandable if the person didnt know. If it was guy and guy, I wouldnt understand it as much.  There are both very very wrong, esp since we are in the public trust to be the example and not take advantage of people under 18.

I dont want to go into my views on homoesexuality, because this not the place nor the time. I am friends with people from all walks of life, dosnt mean I have to agree with them. There has to be some Psychological  reason why people do this, im sure we will never find out the true reason.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Майор Хаткевич

I can "understand" why some take comfort in opposite sex cases as opposed to same sex cases. If you're a hetero individual, that's more normal to you than a homosexual individual. My own experience with this was right on the cusp of turning 18. I was working as a server at a country club, and began to talk to a girl who was a hostess. Things were starting to head towards 'like' territory until I found out she'd only turn 16 3 months after I was already 18. Talk about slamming the breaks on something.

Eclipse

It might be illegal in some states, but hardly falls into the predator behavior of a middle-aged adult soliciting adolescents, or worse children.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: huey on May 06, 2013, 12:21:15 PM
Is there any lesson for the org's leadership and other seniors, in general?

Indeed.

CAP is reviewing and upgrading our current CPP.  Our terrific CPP has been around for a while, and the leadership directed that we review it, compare ours with the programs in other youth-serving organizations, and offer some suggested revisions and tweaks.

We have sent representatives to national youth protection conferences and recently conducted a CPP review conference of our own with invited representatives from other organizations, academics, and members serving at local units.

Staff is currently reviewing and consolidating the recommendations.  Our hope is that we can ensure that our CPP is truly "state of the art" and will protect our cadets (and seniors) while allowing them to be challenged in a rigorous leadership training program.

This thread has been focussed on sexual abuse, which is certainly an important part of our CPP.  But as you know, our CPP also seeks to protect cadets from other dangers as well, such as physical abuse and hazing.

But as long as we are talking about sexual abuse, take a look at the CDC's suggested guidelines to prevent sexual abuse in yourth serving organizations.

Stay tuned.

Ned Lee

Devil Doc

Thank you Ned, Im sure all of us are all hands and ears on the situation. Im sure we as CAP members will do anything it takes to make CPP  Top Priority. CAP is a trusted organization and we are willing to keep it that way.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Devil Doc

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 06, 2013, 02:40:32 PM
I can "understand" why some take comfort in opposite sex cases as opposed to same sex cases. If you're a hetero individual, that's more normal to you than a homosexual individual. My own experience with this was right on the cusp of turning 18. I was working as a server at a country club, and began to talk to a girl who was a hostess. Things were starting to head towards 'like' territory until I found out she'd only turn 16 3 months after I was already 18. Talk about slamming the breaks on something.

I dated a Girl in HS when I was 18 and She was 15. Her parents knew about it, and nothing was done that was not wanted. Will I that again? Nope, didnt work out she was way to immature and didnt realize it untill i joined the NAVY right after high school.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on May 06, 2013, 04:11:15 PM
It might be illegal in some states, but hardly falls into the predator behavior of a middle-aged adult soliciting adolescents, or worse children.

Certainly, but all it takes is one pissed off parent, and my 18 year old ass would be in a cell because they can pretty much say anything, and that's how the law would see it.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 06, 2013, 05:45:14 PM

Certainly, but all it takes is one pissed off parent, and my 18 year old ass would be in a cell because they can pretty much say anything, and that's how the law would see it.

Unfortunately that's true, more then a few lives have been ruined that way.

Also "nothing not wanted" doesn't equal "legal".

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Solution: found a girl older than me. By 2 days. :)

Woodsy

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 06, 2013, 05:45:14 PM

Florida has the "16-24" law.  But one day over 24 or one day under 16 and you've got some serious trouble.

Where is CAP on youth protection compared  to other organizations?  I was a boy scout, and in a church youth group, and as a youth myself it never appeared to me that there were obvious checks in place in those organizations like CAP has.  Ignorance of youth, perhaps?  Maybe they were there and I just didn't ever notice.  Anyways, what sort of training do other groups require?  Are we ahead of or behind the curve?   

JayT

I don't believe that there was any assignment of priority - I read it to say that two wrongs are worse than one.  Yes, there are people who believe homosexuality is wrong based on religious beliefs.  Are you going to tell them they must change their religion?   Different topic.

No, but that doesn't mean I have to respect their beliefs either, or consider them anything but ignorance. Homosexuality is not 'wrong' by any rational definition.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Private Investigator

This is why a Unit Membership Board should be used. The man involved joined just ten months before and was a Squadron Commander? Of course it appears the Squadron has folded up since it is not on the ORWG website. My point is; No Unit should be desperate for people.

After being a policeman for 25 years, it is just not the look but the way they carry themselves. Strange habits is a clue too. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 07, 2013, 01:02:25 AM
This is why a Unit Membership Board should be used. The man involved joined just ten months before and was a Squadron Commander? Of course it appears the Squadron has folded up since it is not on the ORWG website. My point is; No Unit should be desperate for people.

At least one article indicates that he was not the Unit CC, but instead the Comm officer of a unit with a different name.  As this article is over a year old and the terminations happened well before that, the only way we many know here is if someone with direct knowledge pipes up.

Hindsight is better then 20/20, but in this case, Google might have been some help, for starters he appears to have been part of the "Light Appreciation Crowd", which always raises a flag for me.

However the reality is that he appears to have been a married father and likely presented the same profile the majority of members offer, there's far too
few details here to go beyond that.

If nothing else it serves as a reminder why (insert deity, lifeforce, or dimensional prefect) gave us spider sense, and we need to heed it when it tingles.
There also might be some room for discussion regarding periodic re-checks on background, or perhaps re-checking anytime a member aspires to be
commander of a unit or an major activity (such as an encampment).  Both jobs are important enough within CAP's structure to warrant it, and those
with nothing to hide should have no concerns.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP4117

Quote from: Eclipse on May 07, 2013, 01:15:59 AM
Hindsight is better then 20/20, but in this case, Google might have been some help, for starters he appears to have been part of the Light Appreciation Crowd, which always raises a flag for me.

What's that? Couldn't find anything through Google.

CAP4117

Quote from: Eclipse on May 07, 2013, 01:15:59 AM
Hindsight is better then 20/20, but in this case, Google might have been some help, for starters he appears to have been part of the "Light Appreciation Crowd", which always raises a flag for me.

Putting quotation marks around it only made it more intriguing!
I honestly don't know what that statement means (and the curiosity is killing me) but it sounds like a euphemism for something so I'll drop it  :-X

bflynn

The only thing I could find through Google is that the man is apparently a Christian.  I really hope that isn't what "Light Appreciation" means because I'd be really concerned about it raising flags for anyone.

Eclipse

I can't begin to imagine how you would make that connection.

"That Others May Zoom"

Bobble

R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

bflynn

Well, the only thing I found on Google was a letter from the man in a Christian confessional publication...he wrote something from jail admitting he had done wrong and asking God for help in getting back on track.

Since you haven't explained the meaning (??) and you said that you found things on Google that led you be wary after the fact, this is the only thing I can piece together.  I still have no idea what you mean and I think nobody else does either.