Main Menu

Challenge coins

Started by SarDragon, April 17, 2013, 06:30:22 AM

SarDragon

I've been tasked to come up with a list of companies who make these coins, preferably quality ones. I know some of y'all have had them made. What say ye?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

Incirlik Coin.

http://www.incirlikcoin.com/home.php

I have probably run 1500 coins across about 5 designs through them.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Pylon

CoinForce made beautiful coins for my TLC.  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2877.msg273762#msg273762

The bonus is they were willing to go through their inventory of dies and give me options of all the generic CAP seals and emblem dies they already had made and in-stock for my coin size.  That cut my die fees in half, by putting the generic CAP seal on the reverse of the coin.

I had some customer service issues with them on the initial order, but they have had much better service during the two re-orders for this coin.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

scooter

I am going to plead ignorance here! Will someone please explain the exact use of challenge coins for those if us who parent really sure. Thanks.

Pylon

Quote from: scooter on April 17, 2013, 04:36:07 PM
I am going to plead ignorance here! Will someone please explain the exact use of challenge coins for those if us who parent really sure. Thanks.

Unit morale. Souvenirs.  That's all.  There is no official purpose, they are not required, they do not have have a functional reason to exist today, members do not need to buy any coins if they don't want to do so.  People like them, that's all.  It's a borrowed military tradition.  Googling "Challenge Coin" will reveal a number of varied stories about how challenge coins came to be, but in any case, in modern day they are merely souvenirs.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abdsp51

That would depend on which iteration you want to know about.  The two most popular ones date back to WWI and Vietnam, however the WWI iteration is the one that is more commonly accepted.

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: Pylon on April 17, 2013, 04:50:22 PM

Unit morale. Souvenirs.  That's all.  There is no official purpose, they are not required, they do not have have a functional reason to exist today, members do not need to buy any coins if they don't want to do so.  People like them, that's all.  It's a borrowed military tradition.  Googling "Challenge Coin" will reveal a number of varied stories about how challenge coins came to be, but in any case, in modern day they are merely souvenirs.

That or a way to say 'thattaboy' or 'thank you' in a solid way when a ribbon isn't quite appropriate or you're looking for something a little more personal. (For commander's coins and the like.)

Thrashed

It's more of a drinking game today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

"The challenge, which can be made at any time, begins with the challenger drawing his/her coin, and slapping or placing the coin on the table or bar. In noisy environments, continuously rapping the challenge coin on a surface may initiate the challenge. (Accidentally dropping a challenge coin is considered to be a deliberate challenge to all present.) Everyone being challenged must immediately produce the coin for their organization and anyone failing to do so must buy a round of drinks for the challenger and everyone else who has their challenge coin. However, should everyone challenged be able to produce their coin, the challenger must buy a round of drinks for the group."

Save the triangle thingy

LGM30GMCC

The rules as describe vary from unit to unit. There are still places (probably more in the flying side) of the USAF that have mandatory 'Landing Fees.' However, technically that is very much against the rules of the USAF. (You cannot be forced to pay $X, sometimes up into the hundreds of dollars to work somewhere. THe most is you just can't be allowed to partake in any of the refreshments or whatever. If a commander tries to force the issue they are just about begging for a sustained IG complaint.)

Generally the rule that I've seen is you have to have 'A challenge coin.' With the proliferation of collector's coins this has become somewhat less...prevalent and because most everyone has one. Unless you're in a base club (which are largely dying for a number of reasons) and actively let it be known you don't have one, people aren't going to be throwing down the challenges because it's generally assumed everyone has some coin on them. Additionally, you can't 'force' someone to buy drinks and more and more people are rejecting those types of games in the 'club mentality.'

I suspect some of it is that there is as much or more work to do, fewer people to do it and just not as much time for random goofing off. When people are done with work at their unit they largely want to just go home. Those that live on base have a family they likely want to see/spend time with and not think about work. Those without families on base likely want to be off base where they can be around other people without families. These types of pressures are definitely taking away some of the rowdier traditions.

SarDragon

OK, folks, I'm looking for sources, not rules. I'm sure readers appreciate the education, but this isn't helping me.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Thrashed

Just thought you might be trying to involve the cadets in a drinking game.  ;D

Save the triangle thingy

ol'fido

Quote from: Thrashed on April 18, 2013, 01:07:25 AM
Just thought you might be trying to involve the cadets in a drinking game.  ;D
I have some Kool-ade for you if you want to play that game. >:D Sorry, Dave, the only sources I know have already been mentioned.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

MSG Mac

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on April 17, 2013, 04:55:43 PM

That or a way to say 'thattaboy' or 'thank you' in a solid way when a ribbon isn't quite appropriate or you're looking for something a little more personal. (For commander's coins and the like.)

Or don't have the imitative to fill out a form120 to make an official recognition of ones efforts. Pretty expensive tokens too.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Private Investigator

When I was on active duty, USMC 1976-1980 I do not recall anyone ever getting a 'challenge coin'. One year for the Marine Corps Ball everyone got a brass belt buckle. In the reserves one year after summer camp the officers presented the most deserving enlisted man a 'presentation Ka-Bar". After "Desert Storm" I started seeing them.

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 18, 2013, 03:32:34 PM

Or don't have the imitative to fill out a form120 to make an official recognition of ones efforts. Pretty expensive tokens too.

$3.50 is expensive?

Coins should never be considered as a replacement for decorations.  They do not serve the same purpose.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2013, 07:55:23 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on April 18, 2013, 03:32:34 PM

[/q

$3.50 is expensive?

Coins should never be considered as a replacement for decorations.  They do not serve the same purpose.

when you have to buy an order of 50-100, yes
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Incirlik sells them for $190 shipped for 50 in minimums of 50.  No setup or additional shipping, with a 25 day turn around once the design is final.

I guess expensive is in the eye of the beholder, but I know a fair number of people for whom a coin in a firm handshake with a knowing look
is worth more then most other bling.  I've got quite a few, with at least 1/2 representing significant efforts or activities, and the rest being
presented "in kind" from other commanders, staff, and military people I've work with (plus a few civilian ones).

As I've said before, once the kids and wife are safe, I'm going back into the flames for the flags and the coins.

"That Others May Zoom"

Has been

Officialy Vanguard is our supplier of coins. Officialy only they can use CAP symbols.

But I know of someone who was handing out coins from Klitzner.com before Vanguard could get back to them with artwork. Klitzner.com was also slightly cheeper. Klitzner's work was very good and they billed the person. They are out of RI I think.