Allowing CAP Members On Unemployment To Work For DOD

Started by FARRIER, January 18, 2013, 06:13:35 PM

Devil Doc

The economy is tough. Ive noticed it is not What you know, it is who you know. So to assume that a person on unemployment cant find a job is lazy is farfetched. Now i do know of some people who refuse to take a minimum wage job because they make more money on unemployment or because they "Think" they are better than that. I cleaned toliets, swept floors, and did other cleaning and stocking duties at a grocery store when i got out of the military? you think a Disabled Combat Veteran deserved that? I think not, i did what i did to pay the bills, ya it was tough, killed my back, but i got through college. Now i have a good job, and will go back to my old job in a heartbeat if i needed to.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Garibaldi

Having spent the last year on UE, I do find your attitude disturbing. There are a great many people out there who commit fraud so they can suck off the government teat, and some who get stuck on it because there just isn't a viable alternative. There are plenty of jobs out there, yes. Can you make a living off of them working 40+ hours a week on $8 an hour? No. UE is supposed to be a bridge, yes, but once you hit a certain limit on what you can make working part time, they reduce it or take it away completely. Do I agree that you should not participate in CAP if you're unemployed? No. Why would you? As long as it doesn't interfere with your job searching RESPONSIBILITIES while receiving UE why would you? As long as you're not sitting on your *expletive deleted* watching Springer every day instead of pounding the pavement looking for work, why would you? It's two or three hours a week, and some weekends. The gubmint doesn't ask you to put your whole life on hold, just do what they ask of you. Besides, you're giving back in a way by being in CAP.

YMMV. 
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

There was a LOT of political undertone in his post, so I'd just let it be and move on.

Patterson

Quote from: Walkman on January 21, 2013, 03:30:04 PM
<warning: rant>

Sorry Patterson, I'm normally not one to call people out, but to me, your comments were rude, your tone is harsh and your points over generalized.

I've been all throughout the employment spectrum. I've been downsized suddenly, I've been a victim of political machinations and let go, I've worked three jobs at a time, freelanced-full and part time, spent weeks in depression because no matter how hard I worked I'm not getting hired, started a business, closed a business, worked at big companies with great benes and small companies that didn't even offer basic insurance, been successful and failed.

I know many, many good people who went WAY beyond 23 weeks in the past few years trying to find work. Responsible, educated people with solid professional backgrounds and good work ethics that got ground up in an ruthless economy through no fault of their own. People who did everything they could to keep their resume in circulation. People that were deemed "over-qualified" for lower-paying jobs in retail/manufacturing/etc.

You comments were offensive to me and offensive to these people. Not everyone who wasn't working in the past few years of this crappy economy was "unwilling to work" or thought they were "too good for certain jobs". I once worked seasonal in the shipping department of a toy warehouse during the Christmas season. It was hard, physical labor for ten hours a day and the job ended December 23rd. Back to unemployment, now what. I guess I "failed in the expectations of adult society"? Gee, thanks for that vote of confidence and all the help & support!

Sometime these things are not so clear cut. As Sgt. Hulka said "Lighten up, Francis."

</rant>

You confirmed my points exactly!!  You took the jobs that you believed we're beneath you in order to ay bills, eat and stay warm!  Those going into week 40 of unemployment have not done that!  Your affirmation that you took a job, worked just long enough and went back on unemployment is called fraud. 

Why do you think I should help you either?  I am helping you and everyone else receiving a social benefit already.  Perhaps I am fed up with sob stories, how everyone finds themselves in unfortunate situations they can't eat out of. 

The absolute last thing I want is for tax money to go to anyone that is unemployed so that they may volunteer assisting the DoD.  Unemployment Compensation is not meant to be a program allowing CAP Members to donate their efforts to the Government for free.  You see, it's really not free! 

FARRIER

Thank you everyone for your inputs.  :)  A forum post being an informal think tank in general, I would be curious if anyone else has a different slant on this. Again, my original concept was a rough draft.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

johnnyb47

Quote from: Patterson on January 21, 2013, 06:13:08 PM
Quote from: Walkman on January 21, 2013, 03:30:04 PM
<warning: rant>

Sorry Patterson, I'm normally not one to call people out, but to me, your comments were rude, your tone is harsh and your points over generalized.

I've been all throughout the employment spectrum. I've been downsized suddenly, I've been a victim of political machinations and let go, I've worked three jobs at a time, freelanced-full and part time, spent weeks in depression because no matter how hard I worked I'm not getting hired, started a business, closed a business, worked at big companies with great benes and small companies that didn't even offer basic insurance, been successful and failed.

I know many, many good people who went WAY beyond 23 weeks in the past few years trying to find work. Responsible, educated people with solid professional backgrounds and good work ethics that got ground up in an ruthless economy through no fault of their own. People who did everything they could to keep their resume in circulation. People that were deemed "over-qualified" for lower-paying jobs in retail/manufacturing/etc.

You comments were offensive to me and offensive to these people. Not everyone who wasn't working in the past few years of this crappy economy was "unwilling to work" or thought they were "too good for certain jobs". I once worked seasonal in the shipping department of a toy warehouse during the Christmas season. It was hard, physical labor for ten hours a day and the job ended December 23rd. Back to unemployment, now what. I guess I "failed in the expectations of adult society"? Gee, thanks for that vote of confidence and all the help & support!

Sometime these things are not so clear cut. As Sgt. Hulka said "Lighten up, Francis."

</rant>

You confirmed my points exactly!!  You took the jobs that you believed we're beneath you in order to ay bills, eat and stay warm!  Those going into week 40 of unemployment have not done that!  Your affirmation that you took a job, worked just long enough and went back on unemployment is called fraud. 

Why do you think I should help you either?  I am helping you and everyone else receiving a social benefit already.  Perhaps I am fed up with sob stories, how everyone finds themselves in unfortunate situations they can't eat out of. 

The absolute last thing I want is for tax money to go to anyone that is unemployed so that they may volunteer assisting the DoD.  Unemployment Compensation is not meant to be a program allowing CAP Members to donate their efforts to the Government for free.  You see, it's really not free!
Whoa....
He took a SEASONAL job that ENDED. As in he was let go due to lack of work after the season.
Nothing wrong with taking a job that you know will end while you attempt to find more permanent employment and then having to go back on unemployment IF you're less than successful and the seasonal job ends.
Turning DOWN the seasonal job and continuing to collect unemployment would be fraud. You are asked very specifically when you report the past UE pay period if you were looking for, offered and or turned down work during that time period.

Unless no family member of yours has EVER received Govt Cheese in some form or another I suggest you ease up a bit. Even then I suggest you read a little more closely before you toss out terms like 'Fraud;.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Walkman

Quote from: Patterson on January 21, 2013, 06:13:08 PM
Your affirmation that you took a job, worked just long enough and went back on unemployment is called fraud. 

Seriously? Fraud? You're calling me that?  >:(

Unfortunately for me, that time I was unemployed I never received a single check from UC. You see, I had a side gig as a freelancer. And that side gig, while not coming nearly close to being enough to pay for my family budget after losing my job, also put me right above the line for being able to qualify for unemployment compensation. So when the warehouse job ended, I went back to being "unemployment", as in "not having a full-time job". Not bilking the government or lying to anyone.

You really need to remember that there are real people on the other side of the computer screen before tossing out crap like that.  Words like that in real life can get you into trouble. Back off the personal attacks.

Patterson

Quote from: Walkman on January 21, 2013, 07:32:31 PM
You really need to remember that there are real people on the other side of the computer screen before tossing out crap like that.  Words like that in real life can get you into trouble. Back off the personal attacks.

Please don't threaten me.  Threats are what get you into trouble.  Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean you have to attack me!   :-\

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Patterson on January 22, 2013, 04:55:16 AM

Please don't threaten me.  Threats are what get you into trouble.  Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean you have to attack me!   :-\

That you call a threat? GO troll elsewhere...

RogueLeader

Quote from: Patterson on January 22, 2013, 04:55:16 AM

That's what we call passive-aggressive, and totally uncalled for.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Devil Doc

Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive!!
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 21, 2013, 04:10:13 PM
I cleaned toliets, swept floors, and did other cleaning and stocking duties at a grocery store when i got out of the military? you think a Disabled Combat Veteran deserved that?

I'm genuinely curious, what do/did you think you deserved, as a disabled combat veteran?  I am genuinely asking this question because I want to know.

I'm guessing it depends on a disabled veterans level of disability, but use yourself as an example.  Once you were able to return to work physically and emotionally, what did you expect?

For reference, my dad is 100% disabled.  As in, he can't speak like a normal person and is paralyzed on one side.  He is physically not able to do a job.  However, for like 20 years, he made it his mission to collect cans for recycling, cut coupons that saved the family thousands of dollars each year, and feed the dogs while my mom finished her degree at age 50 so she could become a teacher, a life long dream.

Again, I'm not trying to start a debate or bash veterans (remember, I'm a veteran too).  I actually have an opportunity to ask a combat wounded veteran, and thought I'd ask.
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

Well, i think i deserved the higher paying jobs i applied for and didnt get. What is not realized when i worked at that store, i was heavily medicated  :o So being disabled i think i deserve the job i have now, no physical labor, nice job helping veterans.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

"The mobile infantry made me the man I am today"

While vets aren't entitled to advantages outside of government jobs, I think their service should be a plus when applying when compared to similarly qualified civilian candidates.

flyboy53

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 22, 2013, 10:28:51 PM

While vets aren't entitled to advantages outside of government jobs, I think their service should be a plus when applying when compared to similarly qualified civilian candidates.

Where have you been?

There are numerous federal and state initiatives to hire veterans into the civilian workforce and government. Some states like New York may be more aggressive about it, but you should be checking with the Department of Labor in your home state to see what's there.

If the issue is to have a CAP member work for DoD while unemployment, the catch would be what impact that duty would have on the unemployment benefits. If the option is to volunteer, that's another issue. I, however, wonder why NHQ has never explored things like VISTA or Americorps You could actually attach several full-time people to a wing support element with AmeriCorps people working on a stipend or educational credits.

Rick-DEL

I do know that companies are making a big push to hire vets. There is a program called "Hiring Our Heroes" that is (or should be) underway to hire 500,000 veterans by the end of 2014. I work for Capital One, and we have heavily engaged ourselves in that program and will be setting up road shows in 2013 across the US to talk/interview/hire veterans.

http://www.uschamber.com/hiringourheroes
http://www.uschamber.com/hiringourheroes/events

Good luck to all !!!

I will be working at one/two of the locations. As a veteran myself...I support this initiative 100%.

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 22, 2013, 10:14:41 PM
Well, i think i deserved the higher paying jobs i applied for and didnt get. What is not realized when i worked at that store, i was heavily medicated  :o So being disabled i think i deserve the job i have now, no physical labor, nice job helping veterans.

Okay, sorry to drift from the topic slightly, but to continue my quest for information on the subject....

As a disabled combat veteran, you recieve compensation, correct?  When I was a cop, a colleague spent 18 months in the Army where he was injured and received 60% disability, which meant he was collecting, don't quote me on exact numbers, but I think it was about $1,600 a month, plus full VA benefits which included 100% tuition to school, free books, and a friggin computer.

So, while we were at the same pay rate, he actually did make more money because of his service related disability. Whereas I was paid $39,000 per year, he was paid $39,000 + $19,200 = $58,200.  Not too shabby if you ask me.

My point being, you think you deserve a higher paying job, but regardless of what job you have, you'll always be paid more due to your disability.  Am I right?  And again, I'm trying to learn, here.
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

60% disability is only 1024 dollars without dependants. I know becuase i am 60% working on a higher rating. When i was in college, yes college was paid for but, i only got like 400 from Voc Rehab monthly to pay for rent. Didnt have a job. When i was working, i getting paid less from Voc Rehab because i was taking less classes. Plus working a Part time job making 7.25 an hour. So ya do the math, i was living on 1800 ish a month. It was hard ot live on that. Plus when your car breaks down, or and unexpected bill comes up, its hard. I asnt going to college full time so i wasnt getting paid as much as your friend.

Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 23, 2013, 11:09:13 PM
60% disability is only 1024 dollars without dependants. I know becuase i am 60% working on a higher rating. When i was in college, yes college was paid for but, i only got like 400 from Voc Rehab monthly to pay for rent. Didnt have a job. When i was working, i getting paid less from Voc Rehab because i was taking less classes. Plus working a Part time job making 7.25 an hour. So ya do the math, i was living on 1800 ish a month. It was hard ot live on that. Plus when your car breaks down, or and unexpected bill comes up, its hard. I asnt going to college full time so i wasnt getting paid as much as your friend.

Here's my point.  You made $1,024 a month (my friend did have dependents) and $7.25 an hour.  Think about the typical American who was ONLY making $7.25 an hour.  You made $1,024 more a month.  I hired college graduates who only got paid $10 an hour and that's it. 

After my 4 year active duty enlistment as an infantryman, I thought that I deserved more than $9.50 an hour because I was a "BAMF grunt" with jump wings.  Guess what?  There were a million other BAMF dudes in the same boat.  So what could I offer my employer that others couldn't?  NOTHING!  I was a high school graduate with 4 years of active military service under my belt.  Not a whole lot to offer outside my skill set as an Infantryman.

My point being, as honorable as a Purple Heart is, as well as a combat disability, you have to understand that employers have a job to do and are usually (mostly, actually, unless you're the government) are looking to MAKE MONEY.  Purple Heart or no Purple Heart, I'm going to hire the guy with the best qualifications.  If two people are identical in qualification and one is a veteran, yeah, I'll hire the vet.  But do not think in the real world that being a veteran, even with combat awards, will get you a great paying job.
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: flyboy1 on January 23, 2013, 12:59:11 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 22, 2013, 10:28:51 PM

Where have you been?

There are numerous federal and state initiatives to hire veterans into the civilian workforce and government. Some states like New York may be more aggressive about it, but you should be checking with the Department of Labor in your home state to see what's there.

Yea yea and Chase is planning on hiring vets and also gives them good loans. So are all the other banks. That is, until they foreclose on a soldier who is deployed...

I see places like fast food do the same thing. They'll make an effort to hire a vet. Great. The job is still minimum wage.