The same question over and over...

Started by Eclipse, January 20, 2007, 08:40:24 PM

Eclipse

I was just curious how many times you guys can rephrase the same questions and then generate a 5 page thread arguing the same opinions, which in turn are personal interpretations of the same regs?

Hasn't anyone else noticed that this board has essentially degraded into the same 10 people arguing about the same thing over and over, both here and on every other forum they are members of?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

QuoteI was just curious how many times you guys can rephrase the same questions and then generate a 5 page thread arguing the same opinions, which in turn are personal interpretations of the same regs?

An infinite number of times.

MIKE

Quote from: MIKE on January 20, 2007, 04:10:20 PM
Quote from: CAP428 on January 20, 2007, 05:03:44 AM
Why change?  I see the points you made, but I still don't see what's wrong with what we have.

Because we need to have 50 5 page threads on senior member grade posted in January alone.  ::)

Yawn
Mike Johnston

JAFO78

Quote from: Eclipse on January 20, 2007, 08:40:24 PM
I was just curious how many times you guys can rephrase the same questions and then generate a 5 page thread arguing the same opinions, which in turn are personal interpretations of the same regs?

Hasn't anyone else noticed that this board has essentially degraded into the same 10 people arguing about the same thing over and over, both here and on every other forum they are members of?

As many times as we can, what else do we have to do.

Besides its winter and I hate being outside in winter.
JAFO

flyguy06

Exactly what are you gys talking about? What question is being discussed over and over?

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on January 20, 2007, 08:47:12 PM
Why change?  I see the points you made, but I still don't see what's wrong with what we have.

Because we need to have 50 5 page threads on senior member grade posted in January alone.  ::)

Yawn

Exactly, Mike - it was your answer that finally prompted me to ask.  I almost brought it over here myself.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

Quote from: RiverAux on January 20, 2007, 08:44:20 PM
QuoteI was just curious how many times you guys can rephrase the same questions and then generate a 5 page thread arguing the same opinions, which in turn are personal interpretations of the same regs?

An infinite number of times.

It's just our way in CAP of determining which came first...the chicken or the egg. ;D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 20, 2007, 09:27:21 PM
Quote from: MIKE on January 20, 2007, 08:47:12 PM

Yawn

Exactly, Mike - it was your answer that finally prompted me to ask.  I almost brought it over here myself.

Then go away....no one is making you read and post on these forums.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ZigZag911

The threads that don't interest me or concern me, i don't read.

I imagined everyone else did the same thing.

lordmonar

I don't understand your complaint then.

Why do they all come back to the same arguments?  Because they are all related to the same problem.

That there is a perceived problem with CAP's system that ranks don't mean the same exact thing as they do in the USAF.

And I say perceived..because I don't have a problem that an AD USAF officer does not respect me.  I don't need his respect, it does not prevent me from doing my job.

ZigZag911

Quote from: lordmonar on January 21, 2007, 04:35:31 AM

That there is a perceived problem with CAP's system that ranks don't mean the same exact thing as they do in the USAF.

And I say perceived..because I don't have a problem that an AD USAF officer does not respect me.  I don't need his respect, it does not prevent me from doing my job.

Speaking only for myself, my concerns are giving some meaning to the CAP core values, and improving our training, especially in PD area.

i don't look for USAF personnel to view us as their military peers....I would like them to respect us for who we are, what we do, and how that helps USAF and our country, howver limited that may be.

lordmonar

Quote from: ZigZag911 on January 21, 2007, 05:01:22 AM

Speaking only for myself, my concerns are giving some meaning to the CAP core values, and improving our training, especially in PD area.

i don't look for USAF personnel to view us as their military peers....I would like them to respect us for who we are, what we do, and how that helps USAF and our country, howver limited that may be.

ZigZag...I was not responding to you but to another post just after yours that got disappeared.

DNall

I don't understand your complaint then.

Why do they all come back to the same arguments?  Because they are all related to the same problem.

And I do have a problem with his lack of respect. I don't need to be equal to him, I don't have a problem with being a second class citizen in this case, it's the degree of 2nd class we're discussing, and in terms of what's needed to get the job done. His lack of respect though extends to not believing CAP as an organization is or can be capable of anything remotely important, that our officers with the rare exception are good-hearted but simple-minded volunteers that don't get it & can't help. Now when I see the org going obsolete & not seeking evolution - based on NIMS mostly & ELT tech a little plus some issues with cadet pgms & AE - and I see a drastic & critical set of mission needs that the govt doesn't have the right resources to do but CAP does, but that requires investment in CAP to put them in those roles, which require words like respect & trust before you can even sit down at the table....

See I think we HAVE to talk about that. I think it's your duty as a CAP officer to talk about it & do everything in your power to get it fixed. I think thru talk we get solutions, or at least ideas, and we create a buzz level that gets noticed, then even if nothing comes of it we're better officers for having engaged in the conversation & been shaped by the other participants.

Listen I don't know why there's 50 topics or whatever. I've started maybe 3 or so ever & one was on any of the above subjects. I guess if people want to keep their train of thought organized & focus on an aspect w/o detracting from the whole, then that's appropriate. Hell if you got 50 five-page topics on a subject area, doesn't that lead you to believe a decent number of people care a lot about it & that it may even deserve its own separate section, supply & demand after all. I'm not recommending that, just saying for perspective.

MIKE

Quote from: ZigZag911 on January 21, 2007, 03:56:00 AM
The threads that don't interest me or concern me, i don't read.

I imagined everyone else did the same thing.

I wouldn't feel that I was fulfilling my responsibilities here if I didn't at least look at every post.  That's why I'm on here all the time... So I can keep up with all the new posts.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: DNall on January 21, 2007, 12:09:23 PMHell if you got 50 five-page topics on a subject area, doesn't that lead you to believe a decent number of people care a lot about it & that it may even deserve its own separate section, supply & demand after all. I'm not recommending that, just saying for perspective.

No, it means the same 10 people will argue about politics because they have nothing better to do than complain.

CAPTALK in a nutshell:

Q: I'm new and I can't find where to place my nametape.

A1: It goes above your right BDU pocket. Here's a link to 39-1.

A2: I don't think its right that we don't have subdued tapes.

A3: Yeah, well I think you should spend a year in the sandbox and donate a kidney before you can wear camo at all.

A4: I know, let's make it so that anyone who is not 100% Rambo-fit can't join!

A5: Better still, let's add a whole bunch of double-secret special requirments to circumvent the program and do what >I< think is right, you follow MY special rules, or you're out, but if I don't agree with yours, you're out.

A6: I'm so tired of not getting any respect.

A7: Hey!  Let's reinvent CAP!  "I have it on good authority that no one in actual power has ever heard of me and I'm going to push this up the chan! My dad says we can use his barn!

A8: BOONIES! GORETEX!  METAL GRADE!

Rinse, repeat.

Stupid. 

(Yes, I've gotten dragged there, too.  Its still stupid)

"That Others May Zoom"

fyrfitrmedic

A9: [fill in subject here] is evil/obsolete/defective/a conspiracy/must be removed/etc.

:)
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

sandman

dude(s), don't be hatin', you takin' all da fun outta it....
;D
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

ZigZag911

Quote from: lordmonar on January 21, 2007, 10:58:01 AM
ZigZag...I was not responding to you but to another post just after yours that got disappeared.

I realized you were not responding to me, but I still wanted to comment on what my perception of the problems facing CAP.