Civil Air Patrol Theme Song?

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 20, 2010, 09:14:24 PM

RADIOMAN015

Just wanted to check with the group.  We don't have an official theme song do we ???

Met a singer/songwriter recently that actually is looking for ideas to write songs about, perhaps I'll suggest to her to consider writing a song about Civil Air Patrol.

Perhaps National Headquarters could actually run a competition for song writers/singers/musicians to develop a theme song for CAP.
Wouldn't that be great!!!!

I'm going to drop her an email in the next few days and give here some official website information.  Maybe we will be singing (or at least humming) her song if she decides to do the project!!!

RM   

HGjunkie

Oh noes. We doesn't has a theme song.  ::)

Is this seriously something we need to worry about?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

tarheel gumby

Yes, the CAP does have it own theme song. Just check with the National Historical staff, Maj. James Shaw should be able to set you up with a copy.  The AF used to provide it on 45's to all squadrons.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

jimmydeanno

Quote from: tarheel gumby on September 20, 2010, 09:20:08 PM
Yes, the CAP does have it own theme song. Just check with the National Historical staff, Maj. James Shaw should be able to set you up with a copy.  The AF used to provide it on 45's to all squadrons.

It can be found here: http://www.ner.cap.gov/music/capongoi.mp3

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

HGjunkie

Wait a minute, I have heard this before. On the Rack Builder app for my itouch. It has lyrics to it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

GTCommando

Nice beat, I like it. Anyone know where to find the lyrics? Don't have an itouch.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

jeders

NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I thought this song was buried deep within the recesses of the internet. I'm pretty sure I remember that the last time this song was discussed on here there was a fairly universal outcry for it to go away and never be spoken of again.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

GTCommando

^Got a better idea? As I said, I like the tune, but I'll pass judgment on the lyrics once I find them. Besides, it reminds me of the tune to the AF Song, and that's what counts, isn't it? That and halfway decent lyrics.  ;)
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Major Lord

There is a CAP hymn too. If I got to vote to adopt a song it would be "Tainted Love".

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Chappie

Quote from: GTCommando on September 20, 2010, 09:54:18 PM
Nice beat, I like it. Anyone know where to find the lyrics? Don't have an itouch.

You asked for it.....

The C.A.P. Is On The Go

We are the C.A.P. we're on the go.
We're always, always, always on the go.
We are ready in peace, ready in war,
Ready for what we're needed for,
THE C.A.P. IS ON THE GO.

Down on the ground, up in the blue,
Set to protect the living likes of you,
From training cadets to flying patrol,
With air supremacy our goal,
We of the C.A.P. want you to know,
We're always, always, always on the go.

In this land of the free,
We'll protect our liberty,
So feel secure to know,
That the Civil Air Patrol is on the go.

(Repeat)

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

cap235629

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JohnKachenmeister

The most recent issue of Air Force magazine has an article about how "Wild Blue Yonder" became the AF song.  Bottom line and lesson learned:  Great songs come from inspiration, not competition.

"CAP Is On The Go" is not very inspiring, except for one line:

"Ready in peace, ready in war, ready for what we're needed for."  This beats the bloodyhell out of "Citizens serving communities."

Another former CAP officer

CAP Producer

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 20, 2010, 09:14:24 PM
Just wanted to check with the group.  We don't have an official theme song do we ???

Met a singer/songwriter recently that actually is looking for ideas to write songs about, perhaps I'll suggest to her to consider writing a song about Civil Air Patrol.

Perhaps National Headquarters could actually run a competition for song writers/singers/musicians to develop a theme song for CAP.
Wouldn't that be great!!!!

I'm going to drop her an email in the next few days and give here some official website information.  Maybe we will be singing (or at least humming) her song if she decides to do the project!!!

RM   

Hi,

If you are going to move forward with this project please make sure that you engage with your Wing and Region PAO's before you start work and that they work with me and my colleagues at National HQ. It looks like a great idea but we need to work this thru channels and the chain of command before you start.

Thanks.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

BradM

Quote from: cap235629 on September 20, 2010, 11:06:14 PM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

haha its not that bad if you think in the context of the 1940s not the 21st century. Do you have a version with the vocals and the music?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

BradM

Quote from: Chappie on September 20, 2010, 10:41:17 PM

We are ready in peace, ready in war,
Ready for what we're needed for,
With air supremacy our goal,
In this land of the free,
We'll protect our liberty,
So feel secure to know,
That the Civil Air Patrol is on the go.

NEWSFLASH: The C.A.P. is to receive two squadrons of F-22A Raptors! ;)
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Major Carrales

Get over yourselves people.  "CAP is on the Go" is a product of its time and musically is no more "cheesy" than any such song from its era (and for that matter the themes of any of the Armed Forces).

The only difference is the the Services took their songs of heart over time and made them "theirs" while CAP did not do that. 

Really, read the Air Force Theme and you will see it is loaded with outdated and out moded English and slang from the time of its inception (heck...it even has a "ZOOM" in it)...

QuoteOff we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!)
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one heckuva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder
Sent it high into the blue
Hands of men blasted the world asunder,
How they lived God only knew!
Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer
Gave us wings ever to soar,
With scouts before and bombers galore, Hey!
Nothing'll stop the US Air Force!

Here's a toast to the host of those
Who love the vastness of the sky,
To a friend we send a message
Of his brother men who fly.
We drink to those who gave their all of old,
Then down we roar
to score the rainbow's pot of gold.
A toast to the host of men we boast, the US Air Force.

Zoom!

Off we go into the wild sky yonder,
Keep the wings level and true!
If you'd live to be a grey-haired wonder,
Keep your nose out of the blue! (Out of the blue, boy!)
Flying men guarding the nation's border,
We'll be there, followed by more,
In echelon we carry on! Hey!
Nothing'll stop the US Air Force!

A well arranged instrumental version of "CAP is on the Go" as a march would do it justice.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Nilsog

I like it, we need to make it ours again... while keeping our traditions and proper logos alive.
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: Nilsog on September 21, 2010, 03:36:56 AM
I like it, we need to make it ours again... while keeping our traditions and proper logos alive.

Well, written.  I don't see why an instrumental version of this could not be brought forth as other organizations have done in a tasteful and reverent manner.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 21, 2010, 03:39:06 AM

Well, written.  I don't see why an instrumental version of this could not be brought forth as other organizations have done in a tasteful and reverent manner.

I'd be willing to bet a bright cadet who is also a musician could do a symphony-sounding version on a synth for zero dollars.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2010, 04:07:15 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 21, 2010, 03:39:06 AM

I'd be willing to bet a bright cadet who is also a musician could do a symphony-sounding version on a synth for zero dollars.

I was writing a "Texas Wing March" a while back...but that project did not come through.  It was gonna be a small brass ensemble.

Commander
SWR-TX-454