SAREX....the boardgame

Started by jpizzo127, April 07, 2011, 01:54:51 PM

jpizzo127

Before I even start, has this been done already?

I'm developing a self contained board game that can be used as a prepackaged table-top SAREX.

I'm making it a little more fun than a regular table-top but 100% designed to be a learning experience for Flight Crews, Ground Teams, and Base Staff.

One of the tasks teams have to complete is to answer trivia questions based on CAP's Emergency Services Qualifications for example:

The primary role of the Mission Observer is:

or

Each Ground team member is required to carry how much water on thier person per 24 hour period?

A correct answer earns the team a clue or an extra search sortie, etc. I've not worked that out yet.

However, I could use lists of questions and answers if anyone has some. I don't care if they are AC, GT, etc. Otherwise, I'll start scavenging CAPNHQ.

Also, any good ideas will be incorporated into the game. I'll be happy to share the whole thing with anyone who wants it once it's done.

Thoughts?

JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

JoeTomasone

Nothing helpful, but my brain immediately started concocting amusing "Chance" and "Community Chest" cards for a Sarex-opoly.    >:D

"Wing error on your 108 in your favor.. Collect 30 cents."

"New Uniforms!   Pay CAP $200."

"Get Out Of IG Inquiry Free!"

...etc...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 07, 2011, 02:06:39 PM
Nothing helpful, but my brain immediately started concocting amusing "Chance" and "Community Chest" cards for a Sarex-opoly.    >:D

"Wing error on your 108 in your favor.. Collect 30 cents."

"Get Out Of IG Inquiry Free!"

...etc...

"A local approaches you with a shotgun in hand mubling about how he hates the 'gumminit'. Run like hell back to the van, do not pass go, do not collect $200."

Al Sayre

Mission Observer cannot work radios  to communicate with Mission Base.  Go back 5 spaces.

Comm Unit Leader more interested in playing with radios than in actually communicating your message to anyone.  Lose 1 turn.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

HGjunkie

New ground team member develops blisters on his feet due to cheap Chinese boots. Go back 3 spaces.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

NIN

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 07, 2011, 02:06:39 PM

"Promotion finally comes thru, pay Vanguard $200"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

HGjunkie

Promotion comes through, loose 3 turns waiting for vanguard shipment to come in.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JROB

Observer gets sick in the plane after lunch, loose a turn
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

lordmonar

CAP institutes new "safety" policy....loose 2 turns.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Al Sayre

Finance Officer caught with his hand in the cookie jar.  Go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect next 5 CAPF 108 reimbursements submitted.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Ryan

"Stalled train blocks only road to the other side of train, wait 3 turns"
Actually happened.
Ryan Erskine
C/Lt Col, ALWG

Robborsari

I think its a great idea.  There could be a lot of good training info in a game like that.  You could have cooperative operations also.  One team could be ground and one air, if they can communicate with standard signals they both advance. 
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

lordmonar

Quote from: Robborsari on April 08, 2011, 05:06:35 AM
I think its a great idea.  There could be a lot of good training info in a game like that.  You could have cooperative operations also.  One team could be ground and one air, if they can communicate with standard signals they both advance.

Aircraft sent to wrong grid.....loose 2 turns.

jeders

Aircraft has spotted target but ground team is still at base, lose 3 turns.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

commando1

LPer decides to lead you around like a ADHD puppy...lose 3 turns. :D
Non Timebo Mala

a2capt

IMU crashes - Everything takes two turns for the next 23 minutes.

Spaceman3750

Ground team fails to check in then insists that it's the MRO's job to call them when it's time to check in because the GT's too busy. Lose a turn.

SarDragon

MO(T) keeps trying to check in on wrong freq. Lose 1 turn.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

Nearest ground team is based 50+ miles away, loose two turns.
Government shutdown, no one knows if they are allowed to deploy, loose five turns.

tsrup

Everyone wants a turn to talk during the opening briefing.  Lose 5 turns.
Paramedic
hang-around.

NIN

"Ground team fails to inspect vehicle. Tire blows out enroute to sortie. Return to base. Do not get sortie. Wing fails to reimburse for tire repair. Put $100 in wing bank."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

National gets punked by the AF, Pulls the OPSEC card on whatever you are calling your mission. Everything disappears, nothing ever happened. Any knowledge is disavowed. If you want to get your 108 processed you too will forget about everything.

Game Over, man. Game Over.

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on April 10, 2011, 04:27:09 AM
National gets punked by the AF, Pulls the OPSEC card on whatever you are calling your mission. Everything disappears, nothing ever happened. Any knowledge is disavowed. If you want to get your 108 processed you too will forget about everything.

"NHQ disallows all use of words 'substitute' and 'carnivore.'  Wikipedia shuts down."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on April 11, 2011, 03:13:02 AM
Quote from: a2capt on April 10, 2011, 04:27:09 AM

"NHQ disallows all use of words 'substitute' and 'carnivore.'  Wikipedia shuts down."
You guys don't want to get me started!  :o

JoeTomasone

O, what hath I wrought?

Apologies to the OP for causing this mass derailment.    :-[

SarDragon

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 11, 2011, 08:38:35 PM
O, what hath I wrought?

Apologies to the OP for causing this mass derailment.    :-[

Well, we've either scared off the OP  :-[ , or he thinks the responses are as funny as we think they are.  ;D

OP? Still out there? Bueller?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

LOL .. Darn right. I mean, come on. This is real world stuff here.

Lineman Misses while pouring a quart of oil. Airplane is grounded. 
(..and you asked them not to pour it) ;)

JROB

FLM(T) Forgets to tell pilot to turn. Instructor pushes trainee out of the way and feels propwash from C-182. Go back 5 spaces
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

commando1

Quote from: JROB on April 12, 2011, 12:49:24 AM
FLM(T) Forgets to tell pilot to turn. Instructor pushes trainee out of the way and feels propwash from C-182. Go back 5 spaces
;D Good times, good times...  Now we need some positive moves for this epic game. "Wing allocates money for cheesebox" Advance 2 spaces. "State Guard unit donates 2 box's of MRE's to Ground Team"...Advance 2 spaces.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

Spaceman3750

Federal government passes appropriations bill and Air Force is able to fund your SAREX. Advance one space.

Al Sayre

Ground team returns vehicle full of gas.  - Advance one space.
All receipts and CAPF 108's submitted to IC and uploaded in WIMRS within 14 days - Advance 3 spaces.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Nolan Teel

50% of the members show up wearing Polo Shirt the other 50% are wearing their opinion of what 39-1 says about uniforms... advance 2 spaces.

Huey Driver

Mother Nature is pissed and will stop at nothing to make your SAREX as bad as possible..go back 3 spaces!
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: C/Conlin on April 14, 2011, 11:58:55 PM
Mother Nature is pissed and will stop at nothing to make your SAREX as bad as possible..go back 3 spaces!

The grounded aircrew throws on 24s and joins the ground team wading through mud (who said this had to be realistic?). Move forward 2 spaces.

Huey Driver

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 15, 2011, 12:02:21 AM
Quote from: C/Conlin on April 14, 2011, 11:58:55 PM

The grounded aircrew throws on 24s and joins the ground team wading through mud (who said this had to be realistic?). Move forward 2 spaces.

Happy ground team! +1
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

octavian

Radio in van stops working.  Try to get reception on cell phone.  Go back 1 space.

jeders

Quote from: octavian on April 29, 2011, 02:21:21 AM
Radio in van stops working.  Try to get reception on cell phone.  Go back 1 space.

Use text message to directly update CAPSTAR logs, move forward 1 space.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

smj58501

Quote from: Nolan Teel on April 14, 2011, 05:54:56 PM
50% of the members show up wearing Polo Shirt the other 50% are wearing their opinion of what 39-1 says about uniforms... advance 2 spaces.

Try "advance one space and then two back"
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

SouthernSAR

"Aircrew cannot figure out how to work Becker DF unit, so they resort to trying to hear the 121.775 signal on 121.5. Go back 2 spaces."
"Bored ground team certifies 4 new cadets as GTM3. Advance 3 spaces."
"National gives the gift of ATVs. Advance to practice ELT."

SarDragon

"Aircrew can't find the POH for their plane. Lose two sorties."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jpizzo127

Thanks for all the funny responces.

I tested out the program at our last meeting and it was considered a big success by the squadron who thoroughly enjoyed the tabletop with some extra planning levels.

If anyone is interested in doing this at your squadron, all you need are a few things you can find at Office Depot.

Send me a message and I'll be happy to send you the instructions.

ammotrucker

Quote from: SarDragon on May 07, 2011, 03:00:22 AM

Aircrews asks what a POH is?  Lose next turn.
RG Little, Capt

SarDragon

Quote from: ammotrucker on May 10, 2011, 07:40:43 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 07, 2011, 03:00:22 AM

Aircrews asks what a POH is? Lose next turn. MP loses MP qual and gets sent home.

Fixed that for you.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

All particpants upadate availability in WMU.
IMU works properly.
Sortie 20 air and 8 ground sorities in two days.
All 108's and 104's filled out and submitted properly
IC updates all paperwork and closes out mission in WMU on time.
No one injured, lost, pissed off, or other wise inconvienced.

Hell has fozen over and the end is near......seek shelter!  ::)

Robborsari

Quote from: lordmonar on May 10, 2011, 09:23:37 PM
All particpants upadate availability in WMU.
IMU works properly.
Sortie 20 air and 8 ground sorities in two days.
All 108's and 104's filled out and submitted properly
IC updates all paperwork and closes out mission in WMU on time.
No one injured, lost, pissed off, or other wise inconvienced.

Hell has fozen over and the end is near......seek shelter!  ::)

Check out the new version.  It could happen.  Really.  :)

(Actually I did a mission last month with 14 Air and 4 Ground sorties in one day.  Mission closed out 2 days later, so it really can happen :) )
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

brenaud

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 07, 2011, 03:32:35 PM
Comm Unit Leader more interested in playing with radios than in actually communicating your message to anyone.  Lose 1 turn.
MROs show up to help the CUL...free spin.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

a2capt

Heh, thats it. I'm making this. ;-) This has fun written all over it.

...and learning, too. 'cause it will certainly make ya' think...

NIN

Many years ago, a gent in MA Wing wrote a DOS-based game called Squadron Commander or something, and it was a fun game to play but once you realized that the game was weighted heavily in the favor of ES, it became tremendously easy to beat it.  If you always scheduled an hour+ of ES training during your unit meetings (ie. "the cool stuff"), and kept the formations, inspections and admin time low (ie. "the BS"), then you did really well.

:)

"IC leaves keys to HQ building at home,  roll 1D4 and wait this number of turns for Wing HQ staffer with keys to show up and let everybody in."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

jpizzo127

Quote from: a2capt on May 12, 2011, 03:45:48 AM
Heh, thats it. I'm making this. ;-) This has fun written all over it.

...and learning, too. 'cause it will certainly make ya' think...

No need to make it. I've done all the work.

Just send me your e-mail and I will send you the instructions and rules, etc.

nesagsar

Now I want to make one for my EOC.

CDC-EOC sends daily report in wrong format, lose 2 turns converting into your agency's standards.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on May 12, 2011, 01:06:23 PM"IC leaves keys to HQ building at home,  roll 1D4 and wait this number of turns for Wing HQ staffer with keys to show up and let everybody in."

Pilot leaves in second plane with only set of keys for first plane in pocket.  Go directly to 000.

"That Others May Zoom"