CAP Nationwide Communications Exercise?

Started by RADIOMAN015, March 25, 2011, 05:40:53 PM

RADIOMAN015

Exercise has been cancelled for May 2011 due to increased ops tempo in many wing responding to actual emergencies.

Rumor is they are looking at some time in July 2011.  Of course most people take vacations in July & August so hopefully they will come up with dates shortly, including at least one weekend date.  My feeling is they should run the exercise starting Thursday 1600Z through Sunday 1600Z and should ensure that ALL CAP radio communications assets (HF/SSB conventional HF/ALE, VHF NFM/P25, low power UHF) are utilized in the test, as well as other members with just passive radio receivers (to determine the effectiveness of one way broadcasts).  We need to develop more proficiency with ground simplex operations.    I'd also like to see us get support from an AF E4B do a simplex high bird relay and one way broadcast orbiting at 38-40K, as well as participation by AF Global HF Radio System    :angel:   
RM

BillB

And July is after the start of hurricane season for southern and Gulf coast Wings.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: BillB on May 05, 2011, 10:33:04 AM
And July is after the start of hurricane season for southern and Gulf coast Wings.
Well I guess we should never have an exercise because EVERY month may have something possibly going on ??? ::)  Personally I'd like to see it in the fall time frame.    I think the key thing is if they are going to have a test/exercise give enough notice so everyone can plan accordingly.    I've heard that some wings "no notice"/ "short notice" comm test/exercises haven't had very good participation.
RM   

RADIOMAN015

Wow, there is a lot of areas in the country that are recovering or will be in a disaster situation shortly and CAP aero activity is likely going to be very high taking recon photos, etc.

HOWEVER, we still don't have dates in July for the communications test/exercise.  Maybe this will actually take place in the fall or early winter time.   Frankly I really don't think we need an entire week for an exercise.  Perhaps Friday 1700Z thru Sunday 1400Z, would give us an adequate understanding of how the HF/SSB/ALE systems/networks will operate.  Also if there's any personnel staffing limitations, I would think that each wing would address these issues as limiting factors.  It's been a long time since I worked an overnight shift & I don't think my body is up to the task :( :-[

I read on another list that one wing is considering the installation of VHF beam antennas for extended communications range for point to point simplex as well as extending range or increase the quality of the signal into the repeater system.     Some communicators (which I tend to agree with) feel that we need to get good baseline data on how far we can communicate on simplex versus the repeater systems.

I full support having this nationwide exercise and hope we will be able to demonstrate to the USAF that we have a very good long range (as well as short range) communications network for supporting any mission that we may be given.           
RM

Eclipse

Why do we need "exercises" when 1/2 the wings right now can barely keep up with actuals?

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2011, 11:40:46 PM
Why do we need "exercises" when 1/2 the wings right now can barely keep up with actuals?
Hmm, wonder where you pulled those stats out of ???
RM

arajca

New dates: 8-12 July 2011.

Plan will be available on the NTC website after Monday.

For those in COWG, check the COWG Communications Training web page

For everyone else: no, I won't post it here. Contact your wing DC.