Best L-Per Around

Started by akwingspilot, July 26, 2012, 11:30:42 PM

akwingspilot

Good Day everyone,

I have been told that I could get any L-per that i wish and to get the best one around, and i have searching one for one, however i would like to get everyone's option on which L-Per i should get, money is not a problem.

Spaceman3750

L-Per is a brand of direction finding unit, so saying you want the "best L-Per" doesn't really mean anything.

I wouldn't by a DF right now. Our ELT missions are decreasing (though your local op tempo will vary) and many units have one on hand.

Garibaldi

I suppose that the word L-Per has fallen into common use much like Band-Aid has. And since I've only worked with the original, one and only L-Per "on a steek" I can't be relied on for accurate info. We have one of the new yellow hand-held ones but I've never used it. I grew up on the Little L-Per and I will probably use it til they pry it out of my hands. Or they can't be used anymore due to frequency and bandwidth changes.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

If by "yellow handheld ones" you mean the Seimac ProFind - you might want to light that bad boy up and see if it actually works.  A significant number of the ones issued by NHQ are useless, even after multiple trips for repair.  Even the practice beacons are of questionable value.  The antennas are so directional they are hard to use when teaching new people.

As to recommendation, you can't go wrong with the latest version of the one from L-Tronics - the bright orange "cheese block".

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

The L-Tronics LL-16 with four roof-mount antennas is awesome.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2012, 12:09:30 AM
If by "yellow handheld ones" you mean the Seimac ProFind - you might want to light that bad boy up and see if it actually works.  A significant number of the ones issued by NHQ are useless, even after multiple trips for repair.  Even the practice beacons are of questionable value.  The antennas are so directional they are hard to use when teaching new people.

As to recommendation, you can't go wrong with the latest version of the one from L-Tronics - the bright orange "cheese block".

During our GT training, we use both, and without fail, the old L-Per finds the beacon with no trouble. The newer one has trouble when you get close to it.

starshippe

i can only hope that rigor mortis sets in before they are able to pry my blue box l-per from my cold and lifeless hands.

i have 115 finds and have also used home built doppler units, the mk4 sniffer, and beam and loop antenna systems. the mk4 is versatile in frequency, covering most of the cap vhf fm band also, but for standard elt missions, the l-tronics blue box is the first one out of the truck. i have no experience with any newer generations of equipment from l-tronics.
   modified... i have to mention the radio shack jet stream, with that and ur backbone u have a good system. back in the day, these radios were about $25.

i hope u find what ur looking for. but, as was mentioned, elt missions are becoming few and far between.

the pic is from thurs morn, july 19. 

bill

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 27, 2012, 01:37:25 AM

During our GT training, we use both, and without fail, the old L-Per finds the beacon with no trouble. The newer one has trouble when you get close to it.

I've had a similar experience. Turning down the sensitivity (it's hard on the new one, but possible) kind of helps.

PHall

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2012, 02:33:29 AM

I've had a similar experience. Turning down the sensitivity (it's hard on the new one, but possible) kind of helps.

Nothing a little body shielding with a scanner and a rubber ducky antenna won't fix.

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on July 28, 2012, 03:24:05 AM

Nothing a little body shielding with a scanner and a rubber ducky antenna won't fix.

Found my last beacon that way. Yaesu FT-50R handheld.

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 28, 2012, 03:43:59 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 28, 2012, 03:24:05 AM

Found my last beacon that way. Yaesu FT-50R handheld.

Been doing it that way for years. Can't argue with success.