Main Menu

GTM1

Started by airdale12, August 05, 2011, 03:02:58 PM

airdale12

I heard something from our group ES Officer that for GTM1 you have to be in the field for something like 3+ days in order to get the Participation in a sortie signed off. Is this true and were can I find this information?

Thanks

...these things we do that others may live...

Eclipse

Not true.

The tasks for GTM1 are clear in the task guide.

"Mission Participation" is traditionally one sortie signed into a real or training mission, however by regulation this doesn't even have to have a mission number assigned to it.

Anything else is a wive's tale or local mandate.  Ask for a citation from either the task guide, 60-series, or a properly approved wing supplement or unit SOP.

"That Others May Zoom"

airdale12

Thank You! That is nice to know!

...these things we do that others may live...

N Harmon

I have heard claims that you can not get sortie credit for GTM1 on a team that is not able to conduct ground operations at that level (ie. one or more members are not GTM1 qualified or trainee). Same with GTM2. Thoughts?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Short Field

And what separates a GTM3 sortie from a GTM2 or GTM1 sortie?   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on August 05, 2011, 05:20:43 PM

Operations or tasks which the members are not qualified to perform.  A respective team's capabilities drop to the
lowest common denominator of the members and / or leader.

Specific to GTM1:

O-0401 Work with Canine Search Teams 
O-0416 Plan Search Line Operations 
O-0417 Organize a Search Line 
O-0418 Control a Search Line 
O-0419 Plan and Organize a Hasty Search 
O-0703 Employ Ground to Air Signals 
O-0802 Plan and Organize Site Surveillance 

So unless the team & leader's LCD is GTM1, they cannot do line searches, hasty searches, be involved with a dog team,
or a sortie which would involve a/g coordination or site security.

Specific to GTM2:
O-0104 Set up Shelter 
O-0202 Measure Distance with Pace Count 
O-0203 Navigate past an Obstacle 
O-0209 Identify The Major Terrain Features On A Map 
O-0210 Identify Topographic Symbols On A Map 
O-0211 Determine Elevation On Map 
O-0212 Measure Distance On A Map 
O-0213 Convert Between Map And Compass Azimuths 
O-0215 Determine Azimuths On A Map Using Two Points 
O-0216 Orient A Map To The Ground Using Terrain Association
O-0217 Orient A Map To North Using A Compass 
O-0420 Perform An Airfield Search (Ramp Check)

So any sorties where the tasking or ORM would dictate advanced navigation, the potential for having to shelter in place,
or even a ramp check would be prohibited unless the members and leader's LCD is at least GTM2.

This was one of the main reasons that a lot of us did not understand the need for a 3-tiered rating.  As defined, GTM3
is really only allowed to participate in low-ORM daylight ELT searches.  They have received no training beyond very basic
"don't touch this and what to do when lost" information, and while they have learned to be a part of a line search, the don't know how to organize or control the line (which is the GTL's job).

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 05, 2011, 05:43:00 PM
Quote from: Short Field on August 05, 2011, 05:20:43 PM

Operations or tasks which the members are not qualified to perform.  A respective team's capabilities drop to the
lowest common denominator of the members and / or leader.

Specific to GTM1:

O-0401 Work with Canine Search Teams 
O-0416 Plan Search Line Operations 
O-0417 Organize a Search Line 
O-0418 Control a Search Line 
O-0419 Plan and Organize a Hasty Search 
O-0703 Employ Ground to Air Signals 
O-0802 Plan and Organize Site Surveillance 

So unless the team & leader's LCD is GTM1, they cannot do line searches, hasty searches, be involved with a dog team,
or a sortie which would involve a/g coordination or site security.

Specific to GTM2:
O-0104 Set up Shelter 
O-0202 Measure Distance with Pace Count 
O-0203 Navigate past an Obstacle 
O-0209 Identify The Major Terrain Features On A Map 
O-0210 Identify Topographic Symbols On A Map 
O-0211 Determine Elevation On Map 
O-0212 Measure Distance On A Map 
O-0213 Convert Between Map And Compass Azimuths 
O-0215 Determine Azimuths On A Map Using Two Points 
O-0216 Orient A Map To The Ground Using Terrain Association
O-0217 Orient A Map To North Using A Compass 
O-0420 Perform An Airfield Search (Ramp Check)

So any sorties where the tasking or ORM would dictate advanced navigation, the potential for having to shelter in place,
or even a ramp check would be prohibited unless the members and leader's LCD is at least GTM2.

This was one of the main reasons that a lot of us did not understand the need for a 3-tiered rating.  As defined, GTM3
is really only allowed to participate in low-ORM daylight ELT searches.  They have received no training beyond very basic
"don't touch this and what to do when lost" information, and while they have learned to be a part of a line search, the don't know how to organize or control the line (which is the GTL's job).

I think you missed a few bits of information.

GTM3 has tasks to participate in hasty and line searches (O-0413, O-0404) . If they are UDF qualified they have O-0420 and could do ramp checks.
As far as working with A/C does the whole team have to know how to signal?

Short Field

^^^ According to this, a GTM3 can never be part of a line search because you would need to have a GTL leading the team and they could only operate at the lowest level of training.  So the GTL couldn't lead or organize a line search.

Back to the OP's question:  If he has been signed off on all the SQTR tasks and just needs two sorties to finish his quals, what needs to happen on the sortie to make it count as a GTM1 sortie instead of a GTM3 sortie?
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Nothing.

A sortie is a sortie in that instance.  This really only defines what you can't do, not what you must.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Quote from: Eclipse on August 05, 2011, 06:16:33 PM
A sortie is a sortie in that instance.  This really only defines what you can't do, not what you must.
Totally agree.
Wilson #2640

wacapgh

Quote from: Short Field on August 05, 2011, 06:12:34 PM

Back to the OP's question:  If he has been signed off on all the SQTR tasks and just needs two sorties to finish his quals, what needs to happen on the sortie to make it count as a GTM1 sortie instead of a GTM3 sortie?

Show the evaluator that you can perform at the GTM1 level:

CAPR 60-3, 2-3,c "These sorties must be complete sorties and/or operating periods where the member participates in all aspects of their assigned mission specialty."

lordmonar

You don't have to show the evaluator anything.....if you have completed all the training before the sorties.

GT1-3 can be taught 100% in the class room and behind the squadron building.

The sotie requirment is to just do the sortie.

If you are a GTM1 trainee and you get called out to do a ramp check......it counts.  Even if you did not have to work with dog teams, organise a search line et al.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

On this subject.

Why do we even have GTM 2 and GTM 3?

Let's just combine them and have two rateing GTM and GTL.

YMMV.

Eclipse

I concur with the above two posts, I think the multi-tiered rating was a misguided attempt at retention n and getting people their badge quicker.

All it has done is confuse people without adding mission advantage.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on August 05, 2011, 10:01:12 PM
I concur with the above two posts, I think the multi-tiered rating was a misguided attempt at retention n and getting people their badge quicker.

This.

Despite the fact that the SQTR would probably be about 3 pages long, I really hope at some point there is a push at higher levels to go back to a single level of GTM and get rid of all this 1,2,3 madness. FW, JC, you listening?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

davidsinn

Quote from: jeders on August 05, 2011, 10:06:06 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 05, 2011, 10:01:12 PM

This.

Despite the fact that the SQTR would probably be about 3 pages long, I really hope at some point there is a push at higher levels to go back to a single level of GTM and get rid of all this 1,2,3 madness. FW, JC, you listening?

I think this should happen as well. What I would do is cut a large chunk of the GTM tasks out since a lot of 2 and 3 tasks are doubled on GTL.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

cap235629

how about just adopting the NASAR skill set?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

That or pull them from leader.

Most are important, but why they are doubled up is anyone's guess - you can't be a GTL w/o being a GTM.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: cap235629 on August 05, 2011, 10:16:58 PM
Except for the rope stuff that we aren't going to use anyway, they are essentially the same.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on August 05, 2011, 10:21:54 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on August 05, 2011, 10:16:58 PM
Except for the rope stuff that we aren't going to use anyway, they are essentially the same.
I would keep the rope things.....it is as useful a skill for someone going into the woods as the map and compass skills.

That is one of the things I do like about the HMRS ranger thing.