Global War on Terrorism Civilian Medal/Ribbon Question

Started by Kenneth King, September 06, 2019, 12:42:08 AM

Kenneth King

"The Global War on Terrorism Civilian Medal is a decoration of the Department of Defense presented to recognize civilian staff of the Department of Defense who have directly supported service in the War on Terror from September 11, 2001 to a yet to be determined date. To be eligible, personnel must have served for at least 30 consecutive or 60 cumulative days abroad in support of an authorized anti-terrorism operations."

It is not a "military award" but as stated, a civilian one.  I served with the Marines, as a civilian during the build up and during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003 (90+ days in country).  I served with MAG 39 and supported one Army Dust Off Unit, one US Navy CSAR Unit, as well three US Marine Cobra/Huey Squadrons and an Intermediate level maintenance unit.

I can find nothing in CAPM 39-1 relating to this medal/ribbon or any other civilian ribbon for that matter.  Has there been any update, anywhere as to the wearing of this ribbon?

Thanks in advance.

Gunsotsu

Nope. USAF doesn't authorize it for wear either.

Quote from: CAPR 39-3
3. Decorations, Ribbons and Awards That May Be Worn on the CAP Uniform.

a. The CAP decorations, ribbons and badges described herein and wartime service ribbons
awarded during the period February 1942-July 1945 may be worn on the CAP uniform in accordance
with CAPM 39-1, Civil Air Patrol Uniform Manual. Other CAP decorations, ribbons and badges
previously authorized, but not described in this regulation will not be worn.

b. Decorations, ribbons and badges authorized for wear on the U.S. Air Force uniform may
be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent
authority to a member for service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States
or its allies as outlined in CAPM 39-1.

etodd

Quote from: Kenneth King on September 06, 2019, 12:42:08 AM

I served with the Marines, as a civilian during the build up and during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003 (90+ days in country).  I served with MAG 39 and supported one Army Dust Off Unit, one US Navy CSAR Unit, as well three US Marine Cobra/Huey Squadrons and an Intermediate level maintenance unit.

With all my heart I thank you. If I could give you a ribbon I would, but please accept my gratitude, for what its worth. I really appreciate your service.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Ozzy

Quote from: Kenneth King on September 06, 2019, 12:42:08 AM
"The Global War on Terrorism Civilian Medal is a decoration of the Department of Defense presented to recognize civilian staff of the Department of Defense who have directly supported service in the War on Terror from September 11, 2001 to a yet to be determined date. To be eligible, personnel must have served for at least 30 consecutive or 60 cumulative days abroad in support of an authorized anti-terrorism operations."

It is not a "military award" but as stated, a civilian one.  I served with the Marines, as a civilian during the build up and during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003 (90+ days in country).  I served with MAG 39 and supported one Army Dust Off Unit, one US Navy CSAR Unit, as well three US Marine Cobra/Huey Squadrons and an Intermediate level maintenance unit.

I can find nothing in CAPM 39-1 relating to this medal/ribbon or any other civilian ribbon for that matter.  Has there been any update, anywhere as to the wearing of this ribbon?

Thanks in advance.

Civilian Awards are not allowed on CAP uniforms, whether AF-style or Corporate. On the AF-style, follow the guidelines that the USAF has established for wear of civilian awards -- which is none. For Corporate uniforms, only CAP Awards are allowed.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

xyzzy

CAP 39-1 states

Quote11.2.1.1. US Awards. Federal awards awarded by competent authority may be worn on
USAF-style uniforms in accordance with instructions contained in AFI 36-2903. National Guard awards
will not be worn.

AFI 36-2903 states
11.5.44. United States Nonmilitary Decorations. (listed below are a follow examples of awards by federal agencies). If Air Force members wear more than one, arrange in order of acceptance. If member wears two or more from the same agency, that specific agency decides the precedence.

One point of view is that only awards that meet both the requirements in 39-3

Quote3. b. Decorations, ribbons and badges authorized for wear on the U.S. Air Force uniform may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent authority to a member for service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or its allies as outlined in CAPM 39-1.

and also meet the requirements in 39-1 and AFI-2903 may be worn. Another point of view is that since 39-1 and AFI-2903 are both newer than 39-3, they take precedence. Still another point of view is the passage in 39-3 is only meant as a summary of 39-1 and AFI-2903, and the current versions of the latter publications are controlling.

GroundHawg

Civilian awards CAN be worn on the USAF style uniforms, however, the award must have been earned while a member of the military.

I earned State Dept and DOT awards while in uniform that I can wear, but those exact same awards earned while in a civilian status cant be worn. When I was in the reserves, one of our unit members was a USAF civilian employee on base. She was awarded a USAF civilian achievement medal (looks identical to the USAF achievement medal except it has extra stripes) that she could not wear on her uniform but had she been awarded it for her service in the reserves, she could have. Dumb.

Gunsotsu

Compliance with CAPM 39-1 is mandatory. As is CAPR 39-3. The fact that CAPM 39-1 and AFI 36-2903 are newer than CAPR 39-3 has no bearing on whether or not one in required to comply with the guidance contained therein. If that weren't the case, using the aforementioned logic, CAP members could have tattoos that are in accordance with stated USAF policy.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunsotsu on September 06, 2019, 02:37:51 PM
Compliance with CAPM 39-1 is mandatory.

Except when it isn't for expedience or convenience.

"1.1.2.1. COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. This publication
is the sole source for wear instructions and authorized items for various uniform combinations as
prescribed within. Variation from this publication is not authorized. Items not listed in this publication
are not authorized for wear with uniforms.
Local commanders do not have the authority to waive
grooming and appearance standards."

If you are wearing ABUs, or dark blue nametapes, you are in violation of 39-1.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

We've talked before in other contexts on how to deal with regulations that might appear to conflict in certain situations.  In my line of work we have developed fairly extensive doctrine on interpreting laws, rules, and regulations.

We try, for example, to harmonize apparently conflicting language guided by the intent of rule-making authority.  In a CAP context, that presumably means the national commander.  But sometimes, it might also refer to the BOG or other policy-making organization.

As a practical matter, we rely on our officers to exercise good common sense when it comes to following our regulations.  And when we can't resolve an apparent conflict, we should bring it to the attention of the OPR(s)  through the chain of command.

It rarely helps to use Latin in these situations, but sometimes it might provide some assistance.

Quote from: some Dusty Law BookLeges posteriores priores contrarias abrogant.

("More recent law overwrites earlier law that says differently")

While some committee that thankfully I am not on wrestles with this important issue, in the meantime I'm pretty sure no one is going to jail for wearing an earned award that is authorized to be worn on the AF uniform.

YMMV.

Ned Lee
Former CAP Legal Officer

THRAWN

Kind of a wild suggestion, but how about just wearing CAP awards on a CAP uniform....sure would solve a lot of lot of confusion.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

baronet68

Quote from: THRAWN on September 06, 2019, 04:26:19 PM
Kind of a wild suggestion, but how about just wearing CAP awards on a CAP uniform....sure would solve a lot of lot of confusion.

:clap:
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Flying Pig

I had whopping 8 military ribbons.  On special occasions Id stack them all up together, but for the most part I just wore my CAP ribbons.  What I don't like is when people have so many of both that they choose to leave off their CAP and only wear their mil.  My thought was represent the organization you are a part of first. The "XXWG" commander for some reason opted to not wear ANY of his CAP ribbons in his official CAP photo, and only wore his military.  I thought that was somewhat of a eye roller.  I mean for cryin' outloud.  You're the wing commander.  Represent your people and your organization.

I removed the Wing.  If you care enough you can locate it yourself  8)

Ned

For much of my life I've had to maintain 3 separate ribbon racks.  CAP, military with only Federal awards, and military including National Guard awards.  Pain in the tail when rushing around trying to find the right ribbon rack for a meeting. 

You should see my tackle box sometime.  But eventually I decided to throw money at the problem and went with the Ultrathin folks.  The downside is that I probably go too long between updates.

Gunsotsu

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 06, 2019, 05:11:34 PM

The "XXWG" commander for some reason opted to not wear ANY of his CAP ribbons in his official CAP photo, and only wore his military....

There is, and always has been, far more than one of those. Eliminate USAF uniforms for seniors, eliminate the problem. 

Hawk200

I had whopping 8 military ribbons.  On special occasions Id stack them all up together, but for the most part I just wore my CAP ribbons.  What I don't like is when people have so many of both that they choose to leave off their CAP and only wear their mil.  My thought was represent the organization you are a part of first. The "XXWG" commander for some reason opted to not wear ANY of his CAP ribbons in his official CAP photo, and only wore his military.  I thought that was somewhat of a eye roller.  I mean for cryin' outloud.  You're the wing commander.  Represent your people and your organization.

I removed the Wing.  If you care enough you can locate it yourself  8)

When I rejoined, we had a Wing Commander's call less than a week later. Actually, had blues and a nametag from the last time. Someone tossed me some rank, so I had just the basics. Commander suggested everyone wear ribbons. Only thing I had at the time was the rack off my AF Service Dress, mentioned it to him. He said to wear that for now. So went with it, but ordered everything CAP immediately.

Back when we had the all or some option, I wore top three of each. (Wish we could wear the minis, I'd have been able to put it on one row.  :D)

Shuman 14

Quote from: Gunsotsu on September 06, 2019, 10:02:40 PM

The "XXWG" commander for some reason opted to not wear ANY of his CAP ribbons in his official CAP photo, and only wore his military....

There is, and always has been, far more than one of those. Eliminate USAF uniforms for seniors, eliminate the problem.

Or authorize the wear of Military Decorations and Awards on CAP Corporate Uniforms and it eliminates the problem as equally as well.  >:D
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

Quote from: shuman14 on September 07, 2019, 12:47:05 AM
Or authorize the wear of Military Decorations and Awards on CAP Corporate Uniforms and it eliminates the problem as equally as well.  >:D

And then be told "officers don't wear ribbons on Class Bs".

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP9907

21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0