Main Menu

UNIFORM

Started by That_One_Guy, September 03, 2019, 10:59:14 PM

That_One_Guy

hey guys i am going to support jacksonville squadrons colorguard with my squadron. i needed to know if my blues pants need to be hemmed and any other requirements for being in public.
                                                                                  - C/TSgt lannom

Capmonkey

How about you check CAPM 39-1 before asking the question? Check 4.1.5.8

xyzzy

The uniform manual  (39-1) gives the official answer

"4.1.5.8. Trousers. Trousers will be blue and trim-fitted with no bunching at the waist or bagging at the seat. The trousers will be full cut, straight hanging and without cuffs or additional alterations to further taper the leg. The front of the trouser legs will rest on the front of the shoes or boots with a slight break in the crease. The back of the trouser legs will be ⅞ inch longer than the front. The trouser material will match the service dress coat in both fabric and shade."

Since society is more causal these days, and you probably don't have to wear clothes as formal as the service dress uniform to school everyday, you may need some help interpreting the manual. The best way is to ask your immediate superior in your chain of command. But lets suppose you can't reach anyone in your chain of command in time.

Trousers are always hemmed in some way before wearing them in public. Better-quality trousers are often sold unhemmed, that is, there are no folds of any kind at the bottom of the legs, neither visible when the trousers are normal-side-out, nor visible when the trousers are turned inside-out. The bottom often has a zig-zag cut with each zig about 1/8 inch long

For USAF-style blues, the tailor will cut the trousers a little longer than necessary, then fold the bottom inside the leg. Then it will be sewn in place, using tricks the tailor knows so the thread doesn't show.

Cuffs are an old-fashioned way to finish the bottom of trouser legs. With this method, the fabric is folded up, outside the pants; there is an area that dust and paperclips can fall into. This method isn't used in the USAF or CAP. A picture of what you don't want is at https://weallsew.com/how-to-sew-a-pant-cuff/

Ask around; find a place that does alterations to men's clothing. If no one in your unit has any suggestions, go to the place in your area that sells the best mens suits; they'll know somebody.

SarDragon

Asked; answered.
Buh-bye.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret