Main Menu

Pin-on Insignia

Started by CFToaster, August 08, 2019, 12:52:18 PM

CFToaster

Does anyone know (or have an educated guess) why pin-on insignia (grade and chaplaincy) is authorized for the Blue Field Cap, but not the BDU/ABU Patrol Cap?

6.2.10. Blue Field Cap. May be worn with the Corporate Field Uniform. For placement of
appropriate insignia, Figure A5-10.
6.2.10.1. The Blue Field Cap will be composed of a dark blue cloth in a "patrol cap" design.
The Blue Field Cap will rest squarely on the head with the bottom of the cap parallel with the ground. The
brim of the cap will face forward. Cap may not be pushed, rolled, folded or tucked in (e.g. ranger fold).
6.2.10.2. Officers will center rank on the front of the cap. Officers and cadet officers will
wear either embroidered rank insignia on ultramarine blue material or metal, pin on insignia.
6.2.10.4. Chaplains may wear embroidered on ultramarine blue material or metal insignia
centered ½ inch above the visor on the front of the Blue Field Cap. 

6.2.8. BDU Cap. Will only be worn with the Battle Dress Uniform. For placement of appropriate
insignia,
6.2.8.2. Officers will center rank on the front of the cap. Officers and cadet officers will
wear embroidered rank insignia on ultramarine material.
6.2.8.4. Chaplains may wear embroidered chaplains insignia on ultramarine material
centered ½ inch above visor of the BDU cap.

Eclipse

"Reasons".

It's a holdover from the HWSRN era when an Avengers Auxiliary member went back in time
and grabbed the Acrobat Stone from NHQ.

Since CAP is the "best kept secret in the Avengers", Captain America had no idea the stone existed
and the time branch was never closed.

This is also the reason none of the other regulations can be updated and ICLs keep getting published instead.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

There's a little more latitude with what can be pinned on the corporates than the RM owned uniform.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

Quote from: THRAWN on August 08, 2019, 02:00:26 PM
There's a little more latitude with what can be pinned on the corporates than the RM owned uniform.

The kicker is that the Air Force allows either cloth or metal officer grade insignia on the ABU hat at the wearer's option.

Abby.L

Quote from: PHall on August 08, 2019, 04:10:11 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on August 08, 2019, 02:00:26 PM

The kicker is that the Air Force allows either cloth or metal officer grade insignia on the ABU hat at the wearer's option.
Air Force side? Yea. Unless your job has anything to do with the flightline, in which case you're limited to cloth.

Air Force can make their own rules for their own people, not much we can do.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Adam B

Late to the party, here, I know.

I would speculate that we're not allowed metal insignia on USAF uniforms because our insignia need to be distinctive from the USAF.
With cloth, it's easy; we use different colors (bright thread on a dark blue background). With metal, it's more difficult to make it distinctive.

Not an issue on the BBDU, so metal is authorized there.
Adam

SarDragon

Quote from: Adam B on August 24, 2019, 01:43:32 PM

I would speculate that we're not allowed metal insignia on USAF uniforms because our insignia need to be distinctive from the USAF.
With cloth, it's easy; we use different colors (bright thread on a dark blue background). With metal, it's more difficult to make it distinctive.

Really? This is straight from the latest available version of CAPM 39-1:

Quote5.2 Corporate Field Uniform

5.2.1.3. Rank Insignia.

5.2.1.3.1. Officer Rank Insignia. Officers will wear embroidered rank insignia on ultramarine blue cloth. General Officer rank will be centered, perpendicular to, and begin one inch from the bottom of the collar. General officers will wear 1-inch stars; General Officers unable to wear 1-inch stars will wear ¾-inch stars. Colonel rank will be centered, perpendicular to, and one inch from the bottom of the collar and the eagles will face forward. Lieutenant Colonel and Major rank will be centered one inch from the bottom of the collar with the stem parallel to the ground and pointing away from the wearer's neck. The long end of the Flight Officer, Lieutenant and Captain bars will be centered one inch from the bottom of the collar.

5.2.1.3.1.1. When wearing the Blue Field Cap, officers will wear metal insignia or embroidered rank insignia on ultramarine blue cloth centered on the front of the cap.

5.2.1.3.2. NCO Rank Insignia. NCOs will wear rank on the sleeves, 4-inch full color silver on dark blue chevrons for men; 3 ½ inch or 4-inch full color, silver on dark blue chevrons for women. Chevrons will be centered on the outer arm halfway between the elbow and shoulder seam, when bent at a 90-degree angle. If sleeves are rolled up, chevrons do not need to be fully visible; however, rank must be distinguishable.

5.2.1.3.3. Cadet officers center regular size on ultramarine blue cloth sewn on the collar one inch from the front of the collar and centered. All ultramarine blue insignia will have 1/8 inch of blue showing at the widest and tallest point of the insignia. Cadet Colonels and Cadet Captains may wear miniature, embroidered insignia.

5.2.1.3.3.1. When wearing the Blue Field Cap, Cadet officers will wear metal or white embroidered rank insignia on ultramarine cloth, on the front of the cap.

5.2.1.3.4. Cadet NCOs and Airmen Rank Insignia: Cadet NCOs and Airmen wear metal chevrons on both sides of the collar. Insignia is one inch from and parallel to the front of the collar and centered. Cadet airmen basic wear no collar insignia.

5.2.1.3.5. Chaplains may wear embroidered chaplain insignia on ultramarine blue material centered on the front of the Blue Field Cap.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ozzy

Quote from: SarDragon on August 25, 2019, 08:00:47 AM

5.2.1.3. Rank Insignia.

5.2.1.3.1. Officer Rank Insignia. Officers will wear embroidered rank insignia on ultramarine blue cloth. General Officer rank will be centered, perpendicular to, and begin one inch from the bottom of the collar. General officers will wear 1-inch stars; General Officers unable to wear 1-inch stars will wear ¾-inch stars. Colonel rank will be centered, perpendicular to, and one inch from the bottom of the collar and the eagles will face forward. Lieutenant Colonel and Major rank will be centered one inch from the bottom of the collar with the stem parallel to the ground and pointing away from the wearer's neck. The long end of the Flight Officer, Lieutenant and Captain bars will be centered one inch from the bottom of the collar.

5.2.1.3.1.1. When wearing the Blue Field Cap, officers will wear metal insignia or embroidered rank insignia on ultramarine blue cloth centered on the front of the cap.

5.2.1.3.3.1. When wearing the Blue Field Cap, Cadet officers will wear metal or white embroidered rank insignia on ultramarine cloth, on the front of the cap.

So metal is authorized on BBDU cap. For both seniors and cadet officers.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

PHall

Quote from: Ozzy on August 25, 2019, 02:59:52 PM

5.2.1.3. Rank Insignia.

Of course, when was the last time you saw a cadet officer wearing the Blue BDU's?

Ozzy

Quote from: PHall on August 25, 2019, 05:13:18 PM

5.2.1.3. Rank Insignia.

Of course, when was the last time you saw a cadet officer wearing the Blue BDU's?

2016 in New York.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Ozzy on August 25, 2019, 05:28:59 PM
Quote from: PHall on August 25, 2019, 05:13:18 PM

5.2.1.3. Rank Insignia.

2016 in New York.

PHall

I take it these cadets were 18 years old or older, right?

Ozzy

Quote from: PHall on August 25, 2019, 09:12:03 PM
I take it these cadets were 18 years old or older, right?

One that I know of, yes, and over weight for the USAF uniform.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Adam B

5.2.1.3. Rank Insignia.

Yes. That's what I said. Wasn't this about the hats to begin with?
Adam

Ozzy

Quote from: Adam B on August 26, 2019, 04:42:14 PM
Yes. That's what I said. Wasn't this about the hats to begin with?

I think the way it was stated led to some confusion.

SARDragon may have read you meaning the full uniform rather then the BBDU cap.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

SarDragon

Indeed, and I need to brush up on my RTFM (Read The Furnished Material) skillz.

Sent using Tapatalk
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret