Epaulet Shapers: Do they do anything?

Started by Pylon, May 28, 2005, 08:55:30 PM

Pylon

For years, I've seen epaulet shapers in the old paper bookstore catalogs, and now on CAPMart and The Hock.  I don't know of anybody personally that has ever used them, so I'm curious to know:

Is there as noticeable difference in the "crispness" and sharpness of ones shouldermarks when using them?   Occasionally, if I'm ironing my uniform, I'll run the iron over the edges of my shouldermarks to enhance the crease though I admit I never notice any difference.

I've read that some people swear by these, and always put them in their uniform at night, and many feel they don't do anything so don't bother.  What's the general consensus here?   Is it worth buying a pair?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

I have a pair and I think it makes a difference on the Service Uniform shirts.  On Service Dress and outerwear the epaulets seem to fit rather tightly so they are not needed.

I find that they look best when worn underneath the shirt epaulet.  They may show if you wear them on top of the shirt epaulet.  Also the little white plastic ends will fall off and get lost, best to just remove them.

Buy a pair to pad out your order.  ;)
Mike Johnston

whatevah

I've got them, but too lazy to use them most of the time.  :-D

they help prevent the epaulets from doing the St Louis Archway, so that's a reason to get them.  lol
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

pixelwonk

Quote from: whatevah on May 28, 2005, 09:06:23 PM
I've got them, but too lazy to use them most of the time.  :-D

they help prevent the epaulets from doing the St Louis Archway, so that's a reason to get them.  lol

And that's why I wear em.  adds just a little polish to the uniform.
I've never bought any though.
I took a wire coathanger from the dry-cleaners and cut it and bent the sections to the shape of the epaulet.  Works very nicely.   

Greg

Quote from: Pylon on May 28, 2005, 08:55:30 PM
For years, I've seen epaulet shapers in the old paper bookstore catalogs, and now on CAPMart and The Hock.  I don't know of anybody personally that has ever used them, so I'm curious to know:

Is there as noticeable difference in the "crispness" and sharpness of ones shouldermarks when using them?   Occasionally, if I'm ironing my uniform, I'll run the iron over the edges of my shouldermarks to enhance the crease though I admit I never notice any difference.

I've read that some people swear by these, and always put them in their uniform at night, and many feel they don't do anything so don't bother.  What's the general consensus here?   Is it worth buying a pair?

I've never worn epaulets without the shapers under them.  I think they make a noticeable difference, but since they don't run the entire length of the epaulet you end up getting the square on the bottom of a triangle look.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

HGCdt

Quote from: Greg on May 28, 2005, 10:55:52 PM

I've never worn epaulets without the shapers under them.  I think they make a noticeable difference, but since they don't run the entire length of the epaulet you end up getting the square on the bottom of a triangle look.
Actaully, you've probably got the wrong size. I had the wrong size for a while, which gave it that effect; until I got a bigger pair an realized the reason that it wasn't looking right!
[move]Civil Air Patrol Honor Guard
"With Honor and Pride"

Greg

Quote from: HGCdt on May 29, 2005, 01:43:10 AM
Quote from: Greg on May 28, 2005, 10:55:52 PM

Actaully, you've probably got the wrong size. I had the wrong size for a while, which gave it that effect; until I got a bigger pair an realized the reason that it wasn't looking right!

Nope, I've got the large size.  I've noticed the same shaping on everybody else's epaulets too, when they wear the shapers.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Major_Chuck

I've always worn them.  I also wear the shirt garters as well to keep the 'tucked in look'.  I've done that since my USAFE Protocol Days way back in the 80's. 

Boils down to image is everything.

You know it is possible to put those epaulet shapers in backwards.  I had a Wing Commander turn them around on me because they made my epaulets look like triangles.  When he corrected them they were squared off.

Chuck
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Buzz

They keep your eps from looking like you slept in them.

The advantage of buying instead of making them from clotheshangers is that the ones you buy are a better grade of steel wire, with some spring in them.