Main Menu

Chester PA

Started by THRAWN, February 12, 2016, 05:47:26 PM

THRAWN

The Willa Brown thread gave me a half memory of something. Wasn't the first (only?) all black CAP unit located in Chester PA? I have a vague memory of something being discussed along those lines, but can't seem to find the thread.

Anybody? PA Wing? Historians? Anybody know something historically significant about a CAP unit in Chester PA or did I dream it?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Quote from: THRAWN on February 12, 2016, 05:47:26 PM
The Willa Brown thread gave me a half memory of something. Wasn't the first (only?) all black CAP unit located in Chester PA? I have a vague memory of something being discussed along those lines, but can't seem to find the thread.

Anybody? PA Wing? Historians? Anybody know something historically significant about a CAP unit in Chester PA or did I dream it?

I don't know about the first, but I doubt the only.

During WWII, Michigan Wing's Group 9, the infamous parachute group, consisted of "two parachute jumping squadrons, a rigger squadron and a Negro glider flight" (per a historical monograph I read).  The armed forces were still segregated at that time, I can't imagine that CAP was too tremendously different.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

Dunno. First black commander? I know it was a biggie, and it was early, WW2 time frame and it was in Chester PA. Was hoping to find out, seeing how I drive through Chester at least twice per day. Would be nice to find out if the location is still standing...

See, this is what happens when you try to remember too much stuff. Now the problem is, when this fact takes its place back in my head, what will I forget? I shudder to think...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

The first interracial CAP squadron was in ILWG during the 1940s.  Cannot remember the exact date.  Perhaps Col Blazich would like to inform us as he found the news article.