Main Menu

AAAAHHH! We got ZAPPED!

Started by ♠SARKID♠, October 09, 2010, 07:10:49 PM

♠SARKID♠

Just found this on the window to our hangar door.  Looks like some visitors from down south came to pay Milwaukee a visit!  :D
Awesome morale zap too!

DakRadz

Alrighty sir, I must know what the story behind this is. Never seen it before.
:D
I'll go ahead and say I'm guessing it's a sort of fun game type deal. ::)

jimmydeanno

Many military units will plaster their unit sticker wherever they go.  For example, the 101st refueling wing (Maine Air National Guard) has sticker with a KC-10 on them that says "MAINEiacs."  I've seen them as far as Chitose JASDF base.

"Competing" units will often times try to cover their rivals stickers with their own.

Looks like this CAP unit has taken up the tradition.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DakRadz

I JUST REALIZED!

One of the best cadets in my flight from encampment is in GA-153. He's probably going to end up reading this- Howdy, Sgt!

Plus, ELVIS!

So, time to get some stickers made up >:D

Thanks for the explanation, sir :D

Slim

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 09, 2010, 07:27:44 PM
Many military units will plaster their unit sticker wherever they go.  For example, the 101st refueling wing (Maine Air National Guard) has sticker with a KC-10 on them that says "MAINEiacs."  I've seen them as far as Chitose JASDF base.

I've seen it.  There was an old squadron operations building at Alpena CRTC whose scheduling board was so covered with zaps that it was almost unusable.  The all-ranks club on base is similarly covered with stickers, patches, scarves, t-shirts, and other memorabilia on pretty much every surface.  Including the peaked ceiling.

Slim

Top Dawg

That's my squadron! This is the pilot's patch, it was probably Major Gluck. He travels a lot
C/Capt Hillman
Cadet Commander,  GA-153

Stonewall

I love it!

There isn't a C-130 or C-17 that doesn't have a sticker from a unit they flew.  Usually in some out of the way place!

Awesome morale booster and quite sneaky!  Good Job GA-153.
Serving since 1987.

CommGeek

They stole their 'motto' from the 510th Fighter Squadron that flies out of Aviano Air Base....

Slim

Quote from: CommGeek on October 09, 2010, 11:23:15 PM
They stole their 'motto' from the 510th Fighter Squadron that flies out of Aviano Air Base....

Not to mention the Coast Guard...

Slim

DakRadz

But were those two referencing Elvis?

Seems like a valid and important consideration..

I am honestly curious about that- couldn't find anything thru Google.

Slim

Quote from: DakRadz on October 10, 2010, 12:05:54 AM
But were those two referencing Elvis?

Seems like a valid and important consideration..

I am honestly curious about that- couldn't find anything thru Google.

A very similar patch has been used as morale patches by the Coast Guard.  I don't have one, here is but one example.

Of course, I'm not saying that the motto should be exclusive to the UCSG.

Slim

SarDragon

Back in the dark ages (early '70s), before stickers were readily available, zaps were painted on, usually as a silhouette. At OMD, Brunswick, Maine, we used a lobster outline, done with red paint. We had two sizes, depending on what we were zapping.

The best one I was ever involved in was on an F-111, complete with armed guard. It was down for RON maintenance, and the AF maintenance team brought a couple of security guys with them. While one was at chow, the other one, out at the plane, needed to make a head call, really bad.

We were ready. A ladder, red spray paint, and the large stencil got trotted out, and we even had time to do both sides. Since it was dark, the red on black well above eye level wasn't obvious.

However comma the next morning it was VERY obvious, and the compost hit the air circulating device! An investigation by our division officer ended with negative results.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Karatian on October 09, 2010, 08:35:13 PM
That's my squadron! This is the pilot's patch, it was probably Major Gluck. He travels a lot

Ask him for me.  I'd like to know if I have to send an agent down to GA for retaliation :)

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on October 10, 2010, 02:33:16 AM
Back in the dark ages (early '70s), before stickers were readily available, zaps were painted on, usually as a silhouette. At OMD, Brunswick, Maine, we used a lobster outline, done with red paint. We had two sizes, depending on what we were zapping.

The best one I was ever involved in was on an F-111, complete with armed guard. It was down for RON maintenance, and the AF maintenance team brought a couple of security guys with them. While one was at chow, the other one, out at the plane, needed to make a head call, really bad.

We were ready. A ladder, red spray paint, and the large stencil got trotted out, and we even had time to do both sides. Since it was dark, the red on black well above eye level wasn't obvious.

However comma the next morning it was VERY obvious, and the compost hit the air circulating device! An investigation by our division officer ended with negative results.

Il-76 (C-141'ski) nose gear well while at Gander IAP, Gander, NF. 
Interestedly, the Russians don't seem to have stickers or even grasp the concept of "Zapping" aircraft.

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 09, 2010, 07:27:44 PM

"Competing" units will often times try to cover their rivals stickers with their own.

Looks like this CAP unit has taken up the tradition.

So far, Philadelphia International has not complained about the growing collection in their elevator...  There is a MAINEiacs sticker there too.

♠SARKID♠

Seeing that zap today inspired me to finally re-design ours.  Our squadron is called the Timmerman Composite Squadron, named after the airport we meet at.  We're big fans of Saturday morning cartoons and all things amusing pop culture so to us Timmerman Composite Squadron = TICS = The Tick  :D

The old one was kind of bleh...

So I made it new!

ColonelJack

Hey!  That's my unit!  Way to go, Major Gluck!!!

:clap:

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

Quote from: Stonewall on October 09, 2010, 10:54:11 PM
I love it!

There isn't a C-130 or C-17 that doesn't have a sticker from a unit they flew.  Usually in some out of the way place!

Awesome morale booster and quite sneaky!  Good Job GA-153.

I'll pass your kudos on to our CC, my friend.  He'll love hearing that!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Al Sayre

Quote from: PHall on October 10, 2010, 04:30:47 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 10, 2010, 02:33:16 AM

Il-76 (C-141'ski) nose gear well while at Gander IAP, Gander, NF. 
Interestedly, the Russians don't seem to have stickers or even grasp the concept of "Zapping" aircraft.

I can neither confirm nor deny that Air Force 2 got zapped by someone from OMD Sigonella in the 1984 time frame  ;D  I can however confirm that a major butt chewing took place...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Larry Mangum

A russian plane was zapped, when the 388th TFW was deployed to Norway as part of an exercise in the late 70's.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

MikeD

Can anyone suggest a good place for getting zaps printed?  I haven't found one with a min order under 100 yet. 

DakRadz

http://www.123stickers.com/

Check out the bottom section; proofs cost $15, after that it depends on size... I'd say ask the unit members to pitch in as I'd think they would all enjoy having a few.

I second MikeD's question, though- anyone know of a better place?

MikeD

I found www.zazzle.com (Google is a wonderful thing, found it by accident looking for what the regulation size for a zap is).  Only 3" but I'll try to post on how they come out.  Ordering some with the project logo and hoping they get here by Friday (Sat flight). 

Top Dawg

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 10, 2010, 03:48:45 AM

Ask him for me.  I'd like to know if I have to send an agent down to GA for retaliation :)

Yes-sir, it was him. You might want to watch out for your agent though, we have a lot of former Rangers down here, no one has dared zap us yet
C/Capt Hillman
Cadet Commander,  GA-153

DakRadz

Psh... A visit and a zap? I think that sounds like a challenge, Top!

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Karatian on October 13, 2010, 08:09:33 PM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 10, 2010, 03:48:45 AM

Yes-sir, it was him. You might want to watch out for your agent though, we have a lot of former Rangers down here, no one has dared zap us yet

Beware the coming storm...

a2capt

LOL- this is making me wanna get more stickers made now. :) I had some from about 8 years ago, only a small amount .. now they're much cheaper :)

PHall

Just remember the Rules of Engagement for Zapping - Do not put them on a surface that will be damaged by either the sticker or it's removal.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on October 14, 2010, 12:06:52 AM
Just remember the Rules of Engagement for Zapping - Do not put them on a surface that will be damaged by either the sticker or it's removal.

Guess that leaves out any painted efforts?  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on October 14, 2010, 12:36:41 AM

And now we know why you got in trouble for your zaps while I didn't get into trouble.

Stickers are also much quicker to apply which makes detection that much harder!

Lancer

You want some inexpensive, small quantity stickers made, check out Stickermule, http://www.stickermule.com

I used them to make some die cut stickers for my son's Cross Country team and they did an awesome job.

♠SARKID♠

I was looking at those guys. Did the final product have that white border, or is that just the backing?

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on October 14, 2010, 02:20:10 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 14, 2010, 12:36:41 AM

And now we know why you got in trouble for your zaps while I didn't get into trouble.

Stickers are also much quicker to apply which makes detection that much harder!

I never got in trouble. I got an Attaboy from my division officer for the quality of the work. He was a former metalsmith, and had painting training. The average avionics tech wasn't even allowed to carry paint cans, spray or otherwise. I was a notable exception.

Paint was the medium back then, cuz stickers weren't nearly as common or cheap to get. I do agree on their efficiency and difficulty of detection.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Part of the fun was watching the tin-benders trying to remove them... :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Actually, it wasn't that hard. The paint used on the planes was tougher than the rattle-can touch-up stuff we used, so a swipe or two with some lacquer thinner usually did the trick. The F-111 paint was a whole nother story, though, being a matte finish. Oh, well.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on October 14, 2010, 09:06:16 PM
a whole nother

You did this to get back at me for lose/loose, didn't you?  *twitch*  It was a finger slip-up.  I swear!   :'(

Who gave you this info?  You must have spoken with someone who knows that makes me twitch.   >:D

SarDragon

As much of a jerk as I can be about languages skills, I still like to have fun with the language. If you see a gross misteak in one of my posts, it's likely that it's intentional.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Me too.  I prefer to use Shakespeare's word creation habit as excuse for my own word-making.

DakRadz

Quote from: SarDragon on October 18, 2010, 04:55:53 AM
As much of a jerk as I can be about languages skills, I still like to have fun with the language. If you see a gross misteak in one of my posts, it's likely that it's intentional.
I'm not convinced, sir- are you sure it isn't dinnertime? ;D

The funny thing is that most of us have a username that gets the RedLineOfDeath from the spell checker- but my real name gets the same thing, so oh well.

SarDragon

Quote from: DakRadz on October 18, 2010, 10:18:01 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 18, 2010, 04:55:53 AM
I'm not convinced, sir- are you sure it isn't dinnertime? ;D

The funny thing is that most of us have a username that gets the RedLineOfDeath from the spell checker- but my real name gets the same thing, so oh well.

As does mine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret