Main Menu

Vertex 150

Started by Jerry Jacobs, October 05, 2009, 12:22:18 AM

Jerry Jacobs

I recently bought a VX-150 with speaker mike that I'm using for HAM radio which has been working pretty well.  I just have two questions regarding the radio.

1) If the speaker mike gets pulled out a little it starts transmitting, this has caused embarrassing hot mikes twice. Is there anyway to fix this?

2) The radio has a Narrow Band/Wide Band option in the menu. Will this allow me to at least monitor CAP Frequencies? 

Thanks,

Jerry Jacobs
KJ6CCE

Eclipse

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on October 05, 2009, 12:22:18 AM
2) The radio has a Narrow Band/Wide Band option in the menu. Will this allow me to at least monitor CAP Frequencies? 

It is not a compliant radio, so it cannot be licensed for transmission, however I suppose if you're so inclined it could be used as a receiver / scanner.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jerry Jacobs

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2009, 12:33:19 AM

It is not a compliant radio, so it cannot be licensed for transmission, however I suppose if you're so inclined it could be used as a receiver / scanner.

One way communication is better than no communication

Major Lord

Jerry,

The wide/narrow selection on the Vertex only acts to limit the deviation on the transmission side of things, it has no effect on receive. You will be able to monitor the CAP frequencies, although they may sound a bit quiet compared to the wider-band ham radio channel spacing. Don't try the surgery to unlock the VX-150 for CAP frequencies: it takes careful surgery, and it would be naughty. ( although it makes a great MURS and Marine Radio, nudge, nudge, wink, wink...) Congratulations on your Ham license! Time to start studying for your upgrade to General Class and beyond. I know that you will make short work of these somewhat more advanced tests if you give it a try!

Major Lord
AF60F
Y 222
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SarDragon

I recently bought a VX-150 with speaker mike that I'm using for HAM radio which has been working pretty well.  I just have two questions regarding the radio.

1) If the speaker mike gets pulled out a little it starts transmitting, this has caused embarrassing hot mikes twice. Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks,

Jerry Jacobs
KJ6CCE

I have a couple of Velcro cable ties wrapped around the plug and radio to keep the mic plug fully inserted.

Yes, it monitors CAP transmissions just fine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Jerry Jacobs

Ok I'll keep my warranty and radio intact then. 

Oh and Major Lord thanks for the new toy  ;D and I'll be getting around to taking my General soon.

a2capt

What I used to do it keep that mic in there was pull both parts of that rubber plug out, rotate it and then you can see where you can lean it over slightly and push the mic jack in, and then let it lean up against it,. It helps to hold it in and it also seems to block it from going in all the way.

Or you could just yank the rubber thing out ..

As well, by putting the mic cable around the back of the radio, though the belt clip it helps to keep it into the radio as it's pulling back and towards the radio with the cable.

As to the part about hot-mic when it's yanked there is nothing you can do about that, thats the way the connector is wired. If you don't pull/push fast it will sit in that position that causes it to key up.

One of those rubbery wrist bands or a those mini bungie like things that girls use for stuff can also work, and is instantly removable and reusable.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on October 05, 2009, 03:26:30 AM
One of those rubbery wrist bands or a those mini bungie like things that girls use for stuff can also work, and is instantly removable and reusable.

I use(d) a spare boot blouser (it looks more tactical-ey)...   :D

My comm guy put these really professional-looking cable clips on the sides of all our radios which works(ed) great, but I still like the blousers.

Not going to have to worry about it much more, I doubt I'll even light up the 150's ever again. We're trying to figure out what the heck to do with these bricks after the end of the year.  The wing has already transitioned the repeaters, and while we're authorized for wideband simplex until 31 Dec, there's not much point in it.

My personal one I can dump on eBay, but the market is likely to be non-existent for a while with these things being dumped in quantity all over the place.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on October 05, 2009, 02:31:56 AM
Ok I'll keep my warranty and radio intact then. 

Oh and Major Lord thanks for the new toy  ;D and I'll be getting around to taking my General soon.

Jerry, You are very welcome! I think you will find it works really well with a Diamond MAY-1000 folding Yagi antenna, but just as a quick and dirty body-shield DF unit, it will be a great ramp  unit. You can also build a nice tape measure Yagi for 121.5 for a few bucks if you don't want to pay $100 for the MAY 1000. I like the MAY because you can plug it into your handheld with adjustments and use it on ham or CAP frequencies. ( note to ALCON: I am not talking about using the Vertex-just a little home-built DF unit I built for Jerry)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Jerry Jacobs

Being the poor college student I am, I am now building a tape measure yagi.  I'm going to use coax and try this with the Little-LPer and I have the adapters for the little 121.5 receiver. Should be fun  ;D