Main Menu

SUI questions

Started by davidsinn, July 21, 2009, 04:27:54 PM

davidsinn

Since I'm preparing for my unit's SUI I'm going to have a lot of questions so I'm going to post them in this thread to avoid spamming the board.

My first question is:

Most sections ask if the officer has been appointed in writing. We use the eServices duty position module. Would a print out of the current org chart be sufficient or does my wife need to whip up a bunch of 2a's?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Bluelakes 13

I am not sure what the Org Chart is, but the member's Eservices record showing the duty assignment should be fine.

davidsinn

Quote from: jkalemis on July 21, 2009, 04:35:36 PM
I am not sure what the Org Chart is, but the member's Eservices record showing the duty assignment should be fine.

Those that have the duty assignment module can print a report that shows every position and who is assigned.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

dmac

My recommendation is that you check the requirements for each area. The referred regulation should tell you the appointment requirements. The duty assignment module should suffice for most areas but there are individual requirements for areas such as supply and comm supply.

Darrell R. McMillan. Lt Col, CAP
Inspector General, NEWG

davidsinn

Quote from: dmac on July 21, 2009, 04:37:45 PM
My recommendation is that you check the requirements for each area. The referred regulation should tell you the appointment requirements. The duty assignment module should suffice for most areas but there are individual requirements for areas such as supply and comm supply.

Darrell R. McMillan. Lt Col, CAP
Inspector General, NEWG

Will do.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hawk200

Quote from: davidsinn on July 21, 2009, 04:27:54 PMMost sections ask if the officer has been appointed in writing. We use the eServices duty position module. Would a print out of the current org chart be sufficient or does my wife need to whip up a bunch of 2a's?

A local unit had an SUI recently, and this issue came up. Currently, regulations require paperwork for each assignment be filed in the personnel folder of the member.

Yes, eServices does show it, but regs haven't really caught up yet. The inspection team had to show the lack of paperwork as a finding (a procedural issue that doesn't affect mission accomplishment). It was explained that, in the future, regs may permit an eServices printout as acceptable, but not yet.

dwb

Each squadron should publish a Personnel Authorization (PA) once a year, and every time there is a change.  The PA lists all duty assignments and committee memberships.

Presenting the PA during the SUI will satisfy the requirement to have staff officers appointed in writing.

davidsinn

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 21, 2009, 04:56:35 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on July 21, 2009, 04:27:54 PMMost sections ask if the officer has been appointed in writing. We use the eServices duty position module. Would a print out of the current org chart be sufficient or does my wife need to whip up a bunch of 2a's?

A local unit had an SUI recently, and this issue came up. Currently, regulations require paperwork for each assignment be filed in the personnel folder of the member.

Yes, eServices does show it, but regs haven't really caught up yet. The inspection team had to show the lack of paperwork as a finding (a procedural issue that doesn't affect mission accomplishment). It was explained that, in the future, regs may permit an eServices printout as acceptable, but not yet.

So this is an issue that needs to go up channels to the NB then? Most of the SUI guide is redundant if we were able to use the technology that we have now.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on July 21, 2009, 04:57:45 PM
Presenting the PA during the SUI will satisfy the requirement to have staff officers appointed in writing.

Not for all assignments, and it depends on the state.

Some still require hardcopy 2a's.  Comms, Logistics, and Finance come to mind.  For one thing the member
has to sign the form accepting responsibility for property or money.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

CAPR 35-1, para 3, states:

"As an option to the preparation of separate CAPFs 2a for each duty position assigned, duty assignment changes may be reflected in published personnel authorizations in accordance with CAPR 10-3, Administrative Authorizations."

It goes on to say that Supply Officer appointments need to go to Wing and the state CAP-USAF office.

Regardless, for most duty assignments, it does NOT vary by Wing.  The regulations allow for the use of the PA, and unless the Wing has a published supplement saying that PAs cannot be used in lieu of a 2a, the squadron can indeed present a PA during an SUI.

dmac

When I conduct SUIs, I accept a 2a, PA, printout of E-Services or org chart to show someone is appointed in writing, except where the reg requires a 2a. A copy of any appointment should be in the individual records to make sure the member gets credit for the staff service.

Darrell R. McMillan, Lt Col, CAP
Inspector General, NEWG

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on July 21, 2009, 05:06:27 PMThe regulations allow for the use of the PA, and unless the Wing has a published supplement saying that PAs cannot be used in lieu of a 2a, the squadron can indeed present a PA during an SUI.

Which mine and others do.  Thus..."it varies by wing"...

"That Others May Zoom"