EMERGENCY RECRUITING SITUATION!!! PLEASE READ!!!

Started by snowman, July 07, 2009, 10:55:46 PM

snowman

ATTENTION!
MY unit, a cadet squadron in Florida wing is in DESPERATE need of senior members.
Currently we only have 2 and it could drop to one. IT is very urgent That we get senior members. We are at risk of having my squadron closed down, and the only other squadron near me, is a school unit, and so, is HORRIBLE at drill and ceremonies  :'(
they dont do anything outside of unit meeting, and no flying whatsoever. Anyone that can, Please join or transfer to fl-###. We also need A LOT more cadets, but not as urgently as senior members.  Some of our SM's are getting ready to kill someone >:D because the have so much work.

. It is hard enough to recruit cadets, so i don't want to have to worry about senior members.  :'(

Anyone that can, PLEASE HELP us out.
Just show up to one of our meetings. on mondays at 7:00 pm. adress is on cap unit locator.

(edited to sanitize google search records)

Daniel

Quote from: snowman on July 07, 2009, 10:55:46 PM
ATTENTION!
We are at risk of having my squadron closed down, and the only other squadron near me, is a school unit, and so, is HORRIBLE at drill and ceremonies  :'(

I suggest you don't talk about other squadrons as they may have people on here.
Also, sorry to hear about your squadron!
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

I guess a drowning man will grab even a rock, but I seriously doubt you'll get much interest here from anyone in FLWG if they aren't already aware of the situation.

Bottom line, if your CC isn't doing the senior recruiting in such a small unit, you're probably going to have to help that other unit with drill.

Situations like these are why its so important to have all your members engaged in active roles, and working on Professional Development.  Active, engaged members don't generally quit, and they are there to help when needed.

Despite many who believe to the contrary, you can't run any unit without committed, engaged, adult leadership.

BTW - if you're really down to only two Seniors on the books, you're already below minimums for a charter and the overweight lady is probably in the wings tuning up.

"That Others May Zoom"

capchiro

Why do you not have any parents involved as members??  CAP isn't a babysitting service.  Don't drop the kids off and run.  Stay and get involved.  Something is not right with this situation.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Daniel

Quote from: capchiro on July 07, 2009, 11:55:17 PM
Why do you not have any parents involved as members??  CAP isn't a babysitting service.  Don't drop the kids off and run.  Stay and get involved.  Something is not right with this situation.

I wish you could talk to my mum. I've been trying to get her involved

Ontopic: Yea, you need soem serious recruitment
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: snowman on July 07, 2009, 10:55:46 PM
We are at risk of having my squadron closed down, and the only other squadron near me, is a school unit, and so, is HORRIBLE at drill and ceremonies  :'(
they dont do anything outside of unit meeting, and no flying whatsoever.

What do these points have in relevance to your squadron needing more senior members?

snowman

LtCol Hooligan

I don't think this thread needs to be deleted, but what I do think needs to happen is parents need to step up and help.  Here are my recommendations for success: 

1.  Look at the number of cadets and the number of seniors in the squadron.  Verify if you can muster the numbers needed for a Cadet Squadron and recharter.  It might be time to look at what the current members want to get out of CAP and from the looks of it, Cadet Programs is the way to go.  Focus heavily on that and move away from the tasks that drown a unit- airplane maintenance, group/wing politics, worrying so much about ES.  I am not advocating dropping any of the 3 missions of CAP, but regroup and rebuild.  Take some time off from the other big missions and get your shop in order. 

2.  GET THE PARENTS INVOLVED!!  I have seen many small squadrons in small towns and many times that is the only way it survives.  The parents need to step up and support the meetings.

3.  Talk to local church leaders and youth leaders and see if you can recruit additional people who are interested in supporting the youth of the community.  There are many people out there looking for ways to help.  You just have to ask them.

4.  Seriiously look at the other squadron closer to you and see what combining efforts can do for both squadrons.  There is way more than drill in CAP and perhaps they can bring skills you are missing and you can bring skills they are missing.  It honestly could be time to become a flight under them and rebuild the membership.

More pointers available if you really want the help.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

snowman

aye we do have parents that are very involved even if they are not offically members.
as for the other advice i will take that. this was more of a thread asking on how to recruit members, even if my wording blatantly said i was asking for actual members to transfer. i was thinking short term. don't worry about tranfering.. i have gotton a lot of advice.
I will heed this advice, and so i think that this thread is no longer needed, so if any admins see this, please delete it. I have already gotton the answers i was looking for.

DogCollar

Cadet, I know that this is a stressful time for you and the other members of your squadron.  I have been through what you are going through.  The squadron that I am a member of was almost shut down, because we were (and still are) small, and we didn't have anyone within the squadron willing to be commander.

We literally had wing officers at meeting ready to take the keys to our van as well as our records when at the last minute, one of the cadets father volunteered to be commander.  Our deputy commander said that he would remain as interim commander until our new commander could get aboard (he was a former CAP member, so it wasn't difficult.)  Now, 2 plus years later we are still "alive" and growing (slowly).

I guess what I am saying is that everyone in your squadron needs to look at ALL of the options that may be there (even when under a threat of closure), and don't give up hope!!   I wish you and your squadron all the best and pray that this time next year you will still be an active, passionate and caring cadet!!
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

flydoggy

cadet,i know first hand what its like not having parent support.i'm a scoutmaster for a local troop,aswell a senior member for CAP.without  the help of parents,everything stops.i've reminded the parents of theirs roles in helping out."REMEMBER WE ARE NOT BABYSITTERS" but adult leaders willing to give something back.
Lt.Albright

BuckeyeDEJ

And if partnering with the school squadron isn't a practical solution, it's not like there aren't other units nearby that might be able to take you under their wing — like Marco Island or Naples.

This discussion is all well and good, but it really needs to go back into channels at some point. CAPTalk won't solve your problem, but your commander and your group commander can.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

snowman

Understood. took your advice and have gotton 4 parents to join. Requesting that this thread be deleted as it is no longer needed.
DELETE THIS THREAD

IceNine

Threads don't get deleted here so you might as well stop asking.

Good luck with the membership issues
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

BuckeyeDEJ

Since you have new seniors coming aboard, and they won't have a mentoring base from which to acquaint themselves with CAP, it may be a good idea for them to hang out at a nearby senior unit, like, say, Naples. They can get a feel for what seniors CAN do in CAP, and how the cadet program works in synergy with emergency operations and aerospace education.

It's important that your new seniors get a good read on CAP before they start in positions in your own unit, and see CAP in action through the lens of a more stable unit.

Thoughts, folks?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.