Star Trek's Warp Drive: Are We There Yet?

Started by freeflight, June 05, 2009, 11:26:52 PM

freeflight

Marc Millis, former head of NASA's Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Project, explains how physicists approach the intriguing possibility of faster-than-light travel.

http://www.space.com/common/media/video/player.php?videoRef=SP_090505_mark_millis

BrandonKea

Now we just wait for 2030 for Zefram Cochrane to be born, and another 33 years on top of that for First Contact.... get a book folks, it could be awhile.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

PHall

This may be an interesting read for some of you.

The Physics Of Star Trek by Lawrence M. Krauss.

ol'fido

" I don't know where we're going, but we're making great time."
                                                             -Hikaru Sulu :D :D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Gunner C

flyerthom

Sure we have! All you need to do is get on Interstate 80, look for <insert license plate of state to be insulted> wait for it to pass and then yell LOOK AT THAT IDIOT FROM ________. WHAT! DOES HE THINK HE'S CAPTIAN PICAARD HE MUST BE DOING WARP FACTOR 9!  >:D
TC

PHall

Quote from: flyerthom on June 07, 2009, 12:33:40 AM
Sure we have! All you need to do is get on Interstate 80, look for <insert license plate of state to be insulted> wait for it to pass and then yell LOOK AT THAT IDIOT FROM ________. WHAT! DOES HE THINK HE'S CAPTIAN PICAARD HE MUST BE DOING WARP FACTOR 9!  >:D

If you're going to make fun of Star Trek, at least spell the names right. >:(
It's Picard, one "A", not two.

SarDragon

And Captain, not Captian!

So there!

Live long and prosper.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BrandonKea

Quote from: PHall on June 07, 2009, 12:52:12 AM
Quote from: flyerthom on June 07, 2009, 12:33:40 AM

If you're going to make fun of Star Trek, at least spell the names right. >:(
It's Picard, one "A", not two.

UGH! I hate people that call it Star Track!! The worst was the Burger King I passed that had the letter sign for the promo glasses that said "STAR TRAC GLASSES $4.99"

C'MON! It's right in front of them, and they couldn't spell it right!

/rant
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Rob Sherlin

Errr......I'm starting to think a lot of you keep latex vulcan ears next to your CAP uniform....lol....jk
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on June 08, 2009, 09:38:36 AM
Errr......I'm starting to think a lot of you keep latex vulcan ears next to your CAP uniform....lol....jk

Its the "other" CAP uniform.....

wuzafuzz

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on June 08, 2009, 09:39:44 AM
Quote from: Rob Sherlin on June 08, 2009, 09:38:36 AM

Its the "other" CAP uniform.....

ROFL.  I think Star Trek has shown us fewer Starfleet uniforms over 100 years than CAP has currently.   :angel:

I don't have Vulcan ears hidden away anywhere, I don't speak or read Klingon, and I didn't wear a Starfleet uniform at my wedding(s).  SO, it's possible someone with "more stripes" will prove me wrong.

Speaking of Warp Drive, I have been accused of traveling at warp speeds back when I was piloting a patrol car.   ;D   The time on my watch matched everyone else's when I arrived, so I wasn't quite that fast.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

JoeTomasone

Quote from: olefido on June 06, 2009, 02:06:40 AM
" I don't know where we're going, but we're making great time."
                                                             -Hikaru Sulu :D :D

...Also attributed to several Mission Pilots.  :)

SJFedor

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 08, 2009, 11:52:36 AM
...and I didn't wear a Starfleet uniform at my wedding(s). 

People seriously do that?!?!?

Wow.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Major Carrales

The powers necessary to warp space as is done in Star Trek is not a reality by our current energy generating technology.

Let me explain...

Let us examine the attempts to prove Einsteins Theory of Relativity.  To do this a solar eclipse had to be observed, the stars that normally appear would be obscured in that the SUN distorted the space around itself.

The mass and gravity of the Sun, the most radiant object in the Solar System, is not even significant enough to WARP space at the level necessary to simulate faster than light speed.

Unless there exists a concept of physics yet to be explained or understood, WARP space is not possible.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BrandonKea

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 09, 2009, 01:19:46 AM
The powers necessary to warp space as is done in Star Trek is not a reality by our current energy generating technology.

Let me explain...

Let us examine the attempts to prove Einsteins Theory of Relativity.  To do this a solar eclipse had to be observed, the stars that normally appear would be obscured in that the SUN distorted the space around itself.

The mass and gravity of the Sun, the most radiant object in the Solar System, is not even significant enough to WARP space at the level necessary to simulate faster than light speed.

Unless there exists a concept of physics yet to be explained or understood, WARP space is not possible.

:( Buzzkill
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Rotorhead

Let me explain...

Certainly, the person to develops the technology will NOT be one who says it is impossible.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

PHall

Let me explain...

Probably because we haven't learned how to contain anti-matter, yet. (It does exist!)

Smithsonia

Warp speed is a story tellers device only. Otherwise every space adventure would have the crew sealed in lava lamp hibernation tubes for the entire movie.

I always appreciate when in Star Trek they say such and such a gallaxy is 10,000 light years and then proceed to jump to Warp factor 9 or 10... however instead of arriving in 1000 years from now (you do the math) they cut it down to 10 minutes. Even the writers of this alternate reality can't keep it straight in their heads. Why should any of you?

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Eclipse

The ability to light a light bulb, sustain and control a nuclear reaction, or communicate planet-wide didn't exist either, until they did.

"That Others May Zoom"