time period for getting Mitchell

Started by michigansergeant, June 01, 2006, 11:33:28 PM

michigansergeant

Hi,
    I have completed all requirements for the Mitchell and my squadron is sending in my paperwork.  Is anyone aware of how long it generally takes for everything to pend after you complete all requirements.  (I had and passed my review board last meeting.)

Thanks!

MIKE

Depends on if you fax or snail mail the CAPF 52-2 and when you send it out.  If you fax it on a Monday, you'll likely see it posted within a day or so.

Edited to add:  I guess you can e-mail it now too.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Also, while it's nice when your squadron takes care of it (as often is the case) just take note that right on the back of the CAPF 52-2 (and all the rest of the 52-X series forms), point #1 is (my emphasis added):

QuoteIt is the cadet's responsibility to mail or fax this completed form to:

So if the squadron doesn't get it in quick enough for your tastes, you should obtain a copy of the signed form and fax it yourself! 

As Mike said, turn around time depends on whether it's sent electronically (fax or email) or in Dead Tree Format.  Faxed and emailed forms usually have substantially quicker turnaround time than mailed forms, in my experience.  YMMV. 

Good luck and congratulations on earning the Billy Mitchell Award!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

OK... Dumb question... Since you can now email the CAPF 52-X without a signature, what stops some cadet from bypassing the unit commander's or Deputy Commander for Cadets' authority by submitting a completed form?  I read the procedure for emailing the forms... Am I missing something?
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on June 02, 2006, 12:08:44 AM
OK... Dumb question... Since you can now email the CAPF 52-X without a signature, what stops some cadet from bypassing the unit commander's or Deputy Commander for Cadets' authority by submitting a completed form?  I read the procedure for emailing the forms... Am I missing something?

Nope -- you're not missing anything.  The email process can completely bypass necessary approvals.  Right now, I suppose they're hoping on a combination of the honor system paired with the liklihood that eventually the squadron will check the personnel system and notice the errors.

NHQ wants to move to more and more electronic means of paperwork flow, which is great, but they've got to keep up with the approvals and assurances that were built into the paper form process as well.  We're not quite there yet.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

lordmonar

If you are sending in your own paper work with out approval......when are you going to wear your Mitchel?  I mean....if you showed up on day with Lt pips on, you commander did not sign off on it....someone is going to notice.

Where we got to watch out for is the cadet who signs his own Mitchell just before he changes squadrons.  Leave as an old c/TSgt and arrive as a newly minted c/2d Lt.

>:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: lordmonar on June 03, 2006, 06:31:50 AM
If you are sending in your own paper work with out approval......when are you going to wear your Mitchel?  I mean....if you showed up on day with Lt pips on, you commander did not sign off on it....someone is going to notice.

I would like to think that this would be grounds for immediate termination and annulment of the award(s).

Quote from: lordmonar on June 03, 2006, 06:31:50 AM
Where we got to watch out for is the cadet who signs his own Mitchell just before he changes squadrons.  Leave as an old c/TSgt and arrive as a newly minted c/2d Lt.

Someone should notice unless the cadet can pass off a forged CAPF 66 and supporting documents as legitimate.  Do your homework before accepting transfers.  Make sure the story checks out.
Mike Johnston

ZigZag911

Quote from: MIKE on June 02, 2006, 12:08:44 AM

What we need here is a feature that requires appropriate approval as a final step before posting the award....something like we already have in MIMS for ES, where 'unit recommendation or approval' is the last step before an ES qualification is sent up the chain.

michigansergeant

Thanks for all your responses.  What is the email address you would use to send it to nationals? 

Thanks!