Joining an overseas squadron?

Started by spacecommand, March 27, 2009, 10:59:58 AM

spacecommand

Hi how are you?
I am an American living overseas, and I am very interested in joining CAP, there's a USAF base about 40 minutes from where I live and they have a CAP Cadet Sqd.  I have free times on weekends and would like to help out.  However I was reading according to CAP REGULATION 35-4 (E):

"Membership Restrictions. Membership in overseas squadrons will be restricted to those individuals meeting the membership eligibility requirements of CAPM 39-2, Civil Air Patrol Membership, and are covered under the provisions of the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). "

Since I'm a private american citizen living overseas,  eg. not in the Military nor am I a US dependent overseas, I'm not in the country under SOFA.  So from that point I guess I'm out of luck.

However I was reading a story like this:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/news/cap_news_online/index.cfm/overseas_unit_boasts_noncitizen_us_cap_member_2972

Where a foreign national of the host country could also join an overseas CAP Squadron, and since he's a foreign national of that host country, he wouldn't fall under SOFA (would he?).

Any case anyone have any experience with this or overseas squadrons in general?  I'm not much of an expert on SOFA or these matters.

Thanks.

FW

The member you refer to is a contributor to CAP-TALK.  He may be able to shed some light on the process of becoming a member.  

You may want to contact the squadron commander and ask about the membership process.   Find out when they meet, go visit the squadron and, ask about the possibility of joining.  I'm pretty sure you will get a favorable response to your questions.  Good luck and, welcome.

MIKE

I think your SOFA quote must come from CAPR 35-4... but a newer regulation might have changed that rule a bit.

See here:

Quote from: CAPR 52-161-9. The Cadet Program Overseas. Cadets who will be living overseas and wish to remain active in CAP may join an overseas squadron. If an overseas unit is not available at the cadet's location, National Headquarters may allow the cadet to progress through independent study, on a case-by-case basis. See www.cap.gov/cadets for contact information.

And as you note... they let "NHQ-OS-126 Frank" in, and he isn't even a citizen... So there is hope for you yet.
Mike Johnston

lordmonar

As a note.....access to the base and other facilities on the base are goverened by the SOFA. 

When I was stationed in Spain....military people not assigned to the base were not authorised to use the BX/COMX or other base facilities.

NHQ-OS-126 my have been let in...but his SOFA status and access to the base may not have been a problem.

Quote from: CAPR 35-45. Membership Restrictions. Membership in overseas squadrons will be restricted to those individuals meeting the membership eligibility requirements of CAPM 39-2, Civil Air Patrol Membership, and are covered under the provisions of the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA).

On this basis and what you have said so far....my initial answer is no...but...you can have your sponsoring unti check with the base legal office to see if you can get access to the base.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Hello everybody,

I haven't been on CAPTALK for a while and now as I get back I see there are postings where I am mentioned in.

First, it would be a pleasure for us to welcome a new SM in our unit.

What the SOFA concerns :  SOFA, as far as it was explained to me, is an agreement between 2 governments which regulates what the military personnel of the "guest" country is allowed to do in the host nation. (Ex. car registrations, tax free fuel, etc. )

As CAP members are not considered as military people, they do not have those privileges which are written in the SOFA agreement but their behavior on a base and off base while wearing a US uniform falls under SOFA.

That's how it explained to me.

I think if an interested person in CAP would join our squadron although he/she  is not military or dependent, I am sure NHQ would accept that person as a regular SM.

Concerning base access: As I am not a US military person neither, the base commander 52FW/CC sponsored my ID access card to the base.  I was introduced to him 2 years ago and our SQ/CC explained my situation and he immediately approved my access to the base. There had to be done some background checks and interviews with the security forces but I got my access card.

Now my personal situation:  As you know,  I am not a US citizen neither live in the states. There was a 3 star general at Ramstein AB I met personally per chance when I was still at College for being a teacher. We started talking and exchanged our contact information an always when he had visitors from the states he asked me if I could show them around in my country Luxembourg. That's how he got to know me better.

When I passed all my exams for being  a teacher, he told me that he heard the Spangdahlem cadet sq is looking for an aerospace education officer and as I am a teacher now and have a PPL license, speak german, french and english, I would be a good person for that position.

That's how I got involved in CAP.  The 3 star Gen.  had to write a recommendation letter to NHQ and did some research at the Pentagon to get me accepted as a regular member.......And now I am.

And you cannot believe how much I love being in CAP and going to the air base and be a small part of the overseas USAF life.

For some more information you can have a look on  our website:  www.capspangdahlem.com

Frank
Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

Gunner C

Frank

You are a rare "find" for CAP.  You have cracked the door for others to be able to join and will be a blessing to cadets for years to come.  Hopefully, you'll be able to link up with SC and help him join. 

You are of great value to both of our countries - understanding is built one person at a time.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Sir, (Gunner C )

I want to thank you very very much for your nice words.

Frank
Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

Pylon

Frank, thanks for sharing your experiences and information!   Your contributions are undoubtedly appreciated.   :clap:
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP