"Civil Air Patrol Today" podcast update

Started by chrisready, March 19, 2006, 04:39:19 PM

chrisready

Greetings,

The "Civil Air Patrol Today" podcast has been updated at http://mdcap.org/radio/.  Our guest is C/Lt Michael Strickland, Emergency Services officer in Group III of the Maryland Wing.  C/Lt Strickland talks with Lt Steven Solomon about his career in CAP so far, his new role in Emergency Services, and how he helped to clean up after hurricane Katrina in 2005.

You can listen to this episode at http://mdcap.org/radio/ and even subscribe to it as a podcast.

The "Civil Air Patrol Today" is hosted by 1st Lt Steven Solomon, MDWG/PA and produced by Maj Bill Parris, MDWG/DO.

Major Christian Ready, CAP
Deputy Commander, Group 2
Information Technology Officer, Maryland Wing

chrisready

Forgot to mention, your feedback is very much needed!  Please drop us a line at info@mdcap.org and let us know what you think.  Kudos, nits, rants, and props are always welcome.  Our goal is simple - to make the best radio program/podcast CAP has to offer and do so by bragging about YOU!

So please drop us a line at info@mdcap.org and tell us what you'd like to hear!

flyguy06

Ok, I am not a tech person so forgive my ignorance. Whats a Podcast?

Pylon

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 20, 2006, 06:43:16 PM
Ok, I am not a tech person so forgive my ignorance. Whats a Podcast?

It's like a radio show, but instead of a radio show being broadcast each (example) Monday at 8am on local WCAP AM radio station, the podcast is an digital audio file -- recorded in much like the same style as a radio show would be -- which you can download and listen to at your leisure.  A new "show" or podcast is released usually on a regular schedule, such as every week, or once a month, etc.

This allows people to listen to the radio programme at their own leisure, whether in their car, on their computer, on their iPod while at the gym, or while wasting company time at work.  The name "podcast" is derived from the place where this format really took a foothold, the iPod portable music device.

Software like iTunes allows you to "subscribe" to a podcast so that your computer automatically download the latest edition when it becomes available, and can even automatically erase the old shows once you've listened to them if you want.  It can automatically sync these downloads to your iPod or other device, as well, making taking your favorite radio shows, like BBC news, CNN, political commentary, talk shows, or independent shows like this CAP one, totally accessible at your convenience.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

chrisready

Lt Kieloch has it nailed.  We also have some information on our "what is a podcast" page at http://mdcap.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=radio.podcast.

Also, if you don't want to just listen to the show without subscribing, you can do that too.  We have a "listen" link besides each show on our radio program page at http://mdcap.org/radio/.  An online player will allow you to listen to any episode you'd like.

Enjoy the show and please feel free to send us feedback at info@mdcap.org!

shorning

Speaking of podcasts...

What I'd like to see is for NHQ to establish some RSS feeds.  The AF already does this and we could model it after them.  NHQ could even include all the newsletters that they post to the web and mail out to the squadrons.  That would be great since I never seen to get them, and always have to remember to download them...usually several months after the fact...

pixelwonk

Quote from: shorning on March 27, 2006, 07:32:46 AM
Speaking of podcasts...

What I'd like to see is for NHQ to establish some RSS feeds.  The AF already does this and we could model it after them.  NHQ could even include all the newsletters that they post to the web and mail out to the squadrons.  That would be great since I never seen to get them, and always have to remember to download them...usually several months after the fact...

You mean like this one ?

shorning

Quote from: tedda on March 27, 2006, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: shorning on March 27, 2006, 07:32:46 AM
Speaking of podcasts...

You mean like this one ?

Okay...so they are halfway there.  It doesn't look like the newsletters are available through that feed.  That was more my point.