Main Menu

Squadron DC

Started by michigansergeant, March 15, 2006, 07:58:15 PM

michigansergeant

Hi,
   I am currently an NCO, but will be an officer very soon.  I will be going to encampment this summer, probably as staff.  I've been thinking about what to apply for and my dream job would be squadron DC.  I am a very active cadet in both squadron and wing activities.  I have attended three previous encampments.  I have held several positions in my squadron and am currently the cadet dc of my squadron.  I was talking to my cadet commander recently and he discouraged me from trying for encampment squadron dc because he told me that I would never be chosen because I will be a chief at the time of the interview and a 2nd lietenant at encampment.  Does anyone have any input on this? 

Thanks!

MIKE

Just so we are clear... You are talking about Deputy Commander (CD), and not Communications Officer (DC)?
Mike Johnston

michigansergeant

I meant Squadron Deputy Commander....sorry about that.

MIKE

Depends how large your encampment is really... and what other phase III and IV cadets are participating.

As a general rule, positions like Flight Commander are appropriate for a junior officer (C/2d Lt-C/1st Lt)... Or a lower level staff officer or assistant.  I think it is important to consider the grade of the Squadron Commander when selecting the Deputy Commander... If the Squadron Commander is a C/1st Lt... A C/2d Lt as Deputy Commander is appropriate IMO.
Mike Johnston

Briski

There are way too many variables to predict whether you'd get the job or not. Criteria the cadet commander has set for the position, grade and experience of other applicants, grade of the flight commanders, etc.

That said, I was a squadron deputy commander in 2004. I was a C/CMSgt when I applied, and by the time encampment rolled around, I was a C/1st Lt, and one of my flight commanders was a C/Capt. Two of the other squadron deputies were C/Capts, and the fourth was a C/2d Lt. At my basic encampment in '03, the squadron deputies ranged from C/2d Lt-C/Maj.

My point in typing all this stuff up is that grade is not the only thing cadet commanders look for in staff applicants. While it's definitely a factor, generally speaking, it is not the most important factor.

If the application process for the encampment you're applying for calls for a resume and letter of intent, definitely emphasize what it is that qualifies you for the position, what experience you have from other leadership positions that would help you get the job done, and especially why you want the position. In your post you described it as your "dream job," so obviously you have some excitement and passion. Try to convey that to the reviewing officers.

Good luck! I loved serving as a squadron deputy commander at an encampment, and I learned a lot that has helped me take on the challenges of higher leadership positions.
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...