Main Menu

New CAP Photo ID

Started by Pylon, February 21, 2005, 06:41:48 PM

Pylon

Quote from: brasshat on November 08, 2005, 02:11:45 AM
>:(
Hell, I am going to just make my own styled after the cadic.

doc

After asking this question in the Knowledgebase, and NHQ consulting the General Counsel, NHQ said that local units are free to produce their own forms of identification.  They, of course, would not indicate CAP membership -- they would have to be carried in conjunction with the national-issued membership card.  But, heck, a Group or squadron could go out and contract professional made IDs to be made if they need it for something.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

brasshat

Quote from: Pylon on November 08, 2005, 03:40:09 PM
Quote from: brasshat on November 08, 2005, 02:11:45 AM
>:(
Hell, I am going to just make my own styled after the cadic.

doc

After asking this question in the Knowledgebase, and NHQ consulting the General Counsel, NHQ said that local units are free to produce their own forms of identification.  They, of course, would not indicate CAP membership -- they would have to be carried in conjunction with the national-issued membership card.  But, heck, a Group or squadron could go out and contract professional made IDs to be made if they need it for something.

8)
Well you know (or maybe you don't) we have always had the photo ID card ( I think it was called form 13...?) ::)to use in conjunction with a valid CAP ID card but it to, looked like a junior detective 'wanta-be' ID.
I can tell you after 22 years of law enforcement experience, a official, professional looking photo ID card gets more cooperation and displayed respect from those you have to work with that are not/do not work with you or this agency/organization on a regular basis
!
Lt. Col. (Dr.) Dennis H. Chevalier, CAP
Texas Wing DPD-A
132121@txwgcap.org - (SECURE)
Hollywood@member.afa.org - (preferred)
888.867.9323 TX Wing Base/Office
817.992.8993 SAT-Mobile
817.370.7974 Home * (preferred)
775.320.4804 Personal color fax  Radio: (2 meter FM) TX CAP 61

Pylon

Quote from: brasshat on November 08, 2005, 04:02:21 PM
8)
Well you know (or maybe you don't) we have always had the photo ID card ( I think it was called form 13...?) ::)to use in conjunction with a valid CAP ID card but it to, looked like a junior detective 'wanta-be' ID.
I can tell you after 22 years of law enforcement experience, a official, professional looking photo ID card gets more cooperation and displayed respect from those you have to work with that are not/do not work with you or this agency/organization on a regular basis
!

Yeah, we still have it.  It's the CAPF 19.  It looks shoddy, unprofessional, and any college-student with a laminator and an ink-jet printer could reproduce it and then-some.  It has no security features and would have looked professional back when it was designed in the 1970s... maybe.

But, hey, if you've got the money to blow and your unit regularly interacts with law enforcement and other agencies, there's no reason your unit can't have nice, new ID cards made with holograms, photos, and barcodes and whatnot.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Matt

hmm, kinda reminds me of that idea we had for 101 cards ...  how's that comin' along  ;D

<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Matt on November 08, 2005, 05:57:17 PM
hmm, kinda reminds me of that idea we had for 101 cards ...  how's that comin' along  ;D

What idea, sir?

Matt

name's Matt....

And the idea was to redo the 101 cards and do a PVC card instead of laminated paper/cardboard...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

brasshat

Standard federal ID to replace common access cards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools
Printable story   E-mail story 

Subscribe now 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Army Sgt. Sara Wood
American Forces Press Service

11/30/2005 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- A new, standardized identification card is being developed for all federal employees.

The new card will replace the common access cards that military personnel, government civilians and contractors now hold, said Mary Dixon, deputy director of the Defense Manpower Data Center.

The new cards will look much the same as CACs, with a few changes, Mrs. Dixon said. The color scheme will be different and more information will be embedded in the card, she said.

The added information will be a biometric of two fingerprints, to be used for identification purposes, and a string of numbers that will allow physical access to buildings, Mrs. Dixon said.

The biggest change will be the addition of wireless technology, which will allow the cards to be read by a machine from a short distance away, Mrs. Dixon said. This will make the new cards much easier to use for access to buildings than CACs, which must be swiped through a reader, she said.

The new cards themselves will not be enough to grant access to all federal buildings, Mrs. Dixon said. Rather, they will be checked against each building's database to determine if an individual has access.

A prototype of the new card is being developed and will be finalized in the next couple of months, Mrs. Dixon said. The cards will be issued starting in October 2006 to all military personnel, government civilians and qualified contractors. In the Defense Department, all employees should have the new cards within three and a half years, she said. A timeline has not been set for the rest of the federal government.

Maybe this is the reason for the holdup on the new CAP ID cards...you think?

doc
Lt. Col. (Dr.) Dennis H. Chevalier, CAP
Texas Wing DPD-A
132121@txwgcap.org - (SECURE)
Hollywood@member.afa.org - (preferred)
888.867.9323 TX Wing Base/Office
817.992.8993 SAT-Mobile
817.370.7974 Home * (preferred)
775.320.4804 Personal color fax  Radio: (2 meter FM) TX CAP 61

afgeo4

FYI:  HQ/NYWG does not recognize the CAPF-19 ID card.  They also don't recognize MIMS to be valid (we still use paper capf 100 and capf 101).  In fact, I'm not sure if they recognize CAP at all given the present CC transfer situation at NY-135.

Anyone know what happened to the old DD-2 cardstock and machines?  The military still recognizes those as retirees are allowed to hang on to their cards indefinitely.   Maybe we could adopt those to our use?  There's bound to be card stock and machines laying around DRMO.
GEORGE LURYE

SarDragon

Quote from: afgeo4 on December 16, 2005, 06:05:49 AM
FYI:  HQ/NYWG does not recognize the CAPF-19 ID card.  They also don't recognize MIMS to be valid (we still use paper capf 100 and capf 101).  In fact, I'm not sure if they recognize CAP at all given the present CC transfer situation at NY-135.

Anyone know what happened to the old DD-2 cardstock and machines?  The military still recognizes those as retirees are allowed to hang on to their cards indefinitely.   Maybe we could adopt those to our use?  There's bound to be card stock and machines laying around DRMO.
Retirees are being encouraged to update their cards as the original ones become ragged and unreadable.

As for the old forms, I seriously doubt that they went to DRMO. As a serial numbered, controlled item, they probably were destroyed when the new style came out. I helped shut down a unit once, and that was one of the big accountability items - all the blank ID cards.

What machines are you referring to?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

As the Form 19 is still a current National form, I doubt NYWG (nor any other lower echelon) has the authority to "not recognize" it as a form of CAP identification. 

They do, of course, have the right not to issue them or allow them in NY for NYWG members.

In IL, form 19's were issued at the Wing level until about a year or so ago when it appeared the NHQ photo ID would finally be issued.

Since that process is now back at square one, and 19's can be issued at any echelon, we are considering issuing them at the Group level pending acion on the Nat ID.

Though I agree they do not look as nice as they should, they are only valid when accompanied by the plastic card, and are better than nothing.  Most of the airports and military installations we operate in around here prefer / require a photo card and the 19 works fine.  Their primary advantage was that they resembled the old mil-spec ID's.

The hard-fast reality is that technology has made simple work of forging just about any document - even the equipment to make hard-plastic CAC-like cards (BTW the CAC is now being phased out in favor of a Federal ID) is available on the net very cheap.

So, unless they are using the bar-code or chip readers, what the card looks like is trivial.

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

The machines I'm talking about are the printers hooked up to PC's that have webcams on top of them they used to take the picture, process it into the ID software and print the ID in front of you.  I believe every 13 year old has that stuff on their iMac today.
GEORGE LURYE

md132

Current DD-2 form cards are being used by AAFES.  All AAFES associates get issued the card when hired.  They have the option of getting a DoD CAC though but DD-2 is the normal card for AAFES. 

SarDragon

Quote from: md132 on December 17, 2005, 11:36:52 PM
Current DD-2 form cards are being used by AAFES.  All AAFES associates get issued the card when hired.  They have the option of getting a DoD CAC though but DD-2 is the normal card for AAFES. 

Are they the tan cards? If so, then they are not DD-2s, they are DD-1173s, United States Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card. This is the card commonly referred to as the "dependents" ID card.

DD-2s (in their differently colored iterations) are issued to active duty, reserve and retired service members.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

afgeo4

I'm not sure if that's changed yet, but the NY Guard (NYS Militia, not National Guard) uses a version of the old DoD DD-2.  Of course, it says "NYS Dept of Military and Naval Affairs" on it instead of "Department of Defense", but it looks like it's designed and printed the same way.  If they can use it, we might be able to as well.  Garrisons and AAFES in New York allow the NY Guard priviledges similar to National Guardsmen... however, no commissary priviledges are given. 
GEORGE LURYE

PhoenixRisen

Well, a while ago, a link popped up on e-Services (that actually works, unlike the other short-lived one - yay IT guys!  :clap:) to pre-purchase an ID card. I did, and it went through OK, my only problem is, I don't even know which ID card I said I'd buy... is it the one similar to the CAC ID? Is it that one that looks like the USCG Auxiliary ID's?

Would anyone have an official source on which one they're getting made?

Eclipse

Maybe its time to merge Cadetstuff.org with CAPTALK - we've been beating this up over there.

http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=4549&highlight=

That link showed up and one of my guys called NHQ.  The personnel directorate was unaware there was any link, there is no ID currently even approved yet, and no timetable for the process.

Sorry...

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2006, 03:49:11 AM
Maybe its time to merge Cadetstuff.org with CAPTALK - we've been beating this up over there.

http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=4549&highlight=

That link showed up and one of my guys called NHQ.  The personnel directorate was unaware there was any link, there is no ID currently even approved yet, and no timetable for the process.

Sorry...

When did one of your guys call NHQ about this? Because when I said I just ordered my card, I mean I literally just ordered it, about 30 minutes ago, and everything went through OK, I got a response e-mail from CAPNHQ saying the transaction went through OK.

Eclipse

The system itself works - you just won't get anything.

And I believe it indicates your card won't be charged until a card ships.

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2006, 04:10:36 AM
And I believe it indicates your card won't be charged until a card ships.

Yes, it does (or did, I should say).

SarDragon

But haven't you seen all the posts on here and CadetStuff that tell us these new cards are intended for SENIOR MEMBERS ONLY? You sig indicates that you are currently a cadet.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret