Main Menu

Joining CAP

Started by SnarphBlat, November 06, 2008, 04:37:57 PM

SnarphBlat

Greetings,

I have joined this site because I am highly considering joining the CAP. Right now I am a college student, and was wondering what the cut off age is. I am hoping I am not too old.

Any information or just to have someone to talk to would be really appreciative.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Hillary

davidsinn

There is only a cutoff age for cadets. The max join age is 18 for cadets. If you are above that than you join as a Senior Member.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SnarphBlat on November 06, 2008, 04:37:57 PM
Greetings,

I have joined this site because I am highly considering joining the CAP. Right now I am a college student, and was wondering what the cut off age is. I am hoping I am not too old.

Any information or just to have someone to talk to would be really appreciative.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Hillary

Hello Hillary,

First, thank you for your interest in CAP.

You are in college, so you are probably over 18, in that case should you choose to join, you would be joining as a Senior Member.  It's a generic term and doesn't apply to age or experience :)

One of the first things that I would suggest is visiting your local squadron or squadrons to get a feel or how things are and to see if it is something that you would be interested in.

You can find your local units by visiting: www.gocivilairpatrol.com and clicking the "find a unit near me" at the top of the page.

If there are any questions that you may have, I'm sure that the wonderful people here would be more than happy to answer what we can - myself included.

Good Luck!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SnarphBlat

Thank you so much.

There are three units in my area. How do I know which one to choose?
(I am over 18).

jimmydeanno

If I were you, I'd go to all three.  Every squadron has a different climate and culture - one might blend more with your interests or what you want to get out of the program.

There should also be a contact for them.  I would get in contact with that person and express your interest.  That way, they know you're coming and can better prepare themselves for your arrival.  Meetings sometimes get hectic and it would be unfortunate if you didn't get the information you needed because everyone was "busy."

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SnarphBlat

Okay sweet, that helps. I did the search and was a little confused. :)

MIKE

You could contact all three, but if we knew what types of units you have available and the sort of activities that might interest you it might whittle it down some.  i.e. if you are interested in working directly with cadet programs, don't pick a Senior Squadron... it's all adults.
Mike Johnston