Main Menu

Local new member packets

Started by shorning, February 12, 2006, 06:30:59 AM

shorning

I'm looking to put together some information for people visiting our squadron for the first time.  The first thing I'm looking to develop is a "briefing guide" to help people introduce prospective members to our unit and CAP.  The next thing I'm thinking of creating is a packet to give to the potential members that expands on what we covered at the meeting.  I'm thinking that these aren't exclusive pieces and I may end up combining them.  My goal is to ensure people know what they are getting into before they actually fill out the membership application.

I seem to recall that NHQ had something like I'm looking for  but I might not be remembering that correctly.  Have any units created a local membership packet that they give to potential members?  I'll also entertain any suggestions people have for contents of these products.

If anyone has anything they want to send me, my contact information is in my profile.

Cheers,

Pylon

Hey Steve.

My unit put together a set of welcome packets back in October for an open house.  Me being a PR guy in my day job, I get serious with this stuff.   ;D

We had three sets of folders.  One for prospective cadets (covers aspects of the cadet program), one for the parents of prospective cadets (promotes the benefits of the CAP program and also encourages the parents to do CAP as a family and check the senior side, as well), and one for prospective senior members (covers seniordom, ES & ops, etc.)

Each packet had a tailored welcome letter (signed by either the commander or the Deputy Commander for Cadets, as was appropriate) that tried to lay a good foundation for that packet's audience and get them to open up the other literature and ask questions.  The packets also contained the NHQ brochures for the cadet and/or senior programs (both in the case of the parents folders), and everyone had a full-page glossy flyer for our unit, a squadron visitors guide, a CAP fact sheet, and some other collateral materials.

I found that they were good packets for the open house visitors as well as to give to people since who are considering membership in CAP.  It's a good idea and worth the effort, in my opinion.   ;)

Edit:  Ah yes, and I also include the OI in the Cadet & parent packets so that the prospective cadets have a good idea of what will be expected of them in terms of attendance, behavior, uniform care, etc.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SKI304

Here is the handbook we use at my squadron for our Cadet Orientation Program.  It covers the basics: uniform wear, drill and ceremonies, squadron policies, and general CAP information, among other things.  Naturally it's tailored to my unit, but with some tweaking, it could readily be adapted to any squadron.  This sumer I plan on doing some major updates and reallignments to make it a little more unit-to-unit friendly.  Anyway, I hope this helps get the ball rolling. :)

http://warrencompositesquadron.homestead.com/YARSCSP_52-2.doc
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron

SarDragon

If you go to the recruiting materials link on E-services, they have a visitor's guide that works well.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: SarDragon on February 12, 2006, 07:54:31 AM
If you go to the recruiting materials link on E-services, they have a visitor's guide that works well.

Thanks, Dave!  That's the one I was trying to remember.  I forgot that it was under E-services.

SKYKING607

As was mentioned in a previous posting, we used color coded file folders.  A welcome letter from the unit commander, a CAP pamphlet, and an over view of the program.

No application forms are discussed until a follow-up visit is made by the prospective member. 

I'm a firm believer in the "mentor" program.  A member is assigned to "mentor" and newbie.  This is a resource for information and acts as a guide for the new member.

When I elected to return to CAP after a 10 year absence, I visited a local Senior Squadron.  For 4 or 5 visits, I was only greeting perhaps three times.  No one showed me around....no one introduced me to the unit's CC, or anything!   I was one of five interested prospective members that sat in the back of the room or leaned against the wall while the unit's meeting went on.  I was the only one of the group to join...

CAWG Career Captain