Started by freeflight, September 29, 2008, 03:34:03 AM

JROB

1st- UH-60 Black Hawk
2nd- UH-1  Iroquois
3rd- C-5 Galaxy
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

PHall

Favorite aircraft of all time? 
Toss up between the Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX and the North American P-51D Mustang.
With the De Haviland Mosquito FB.XXXIII a close second.
(You may notice that all of these aircraft are powered by the mighty Rolls-Royce Merlin engine!)

Favorite aircraft that I have flown in?
The Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker with the Lockheed C-141 Starlifter a close second.
Both of them are built like a truck and neither one of them killed me. (Through the 'lifter did try.)

Bear Walling

The Convair B-58 "Hustler"

The Convair B-58 Hustler was the first operational jet bomber capable of Mach 2 supersonic flight. The aircraft was developed for the United States Air Force for service in the Strategic Air Command (SAC) during the late 1950s. Originally intended to fly at high altitudes and speeds to avoid Soviet fighters, the introduction of highly accurate Soviet surface-to-air missiles forced the B-58 into a low-level penetration role that severely limited its range and strategic value. This led to a brief operational career between 1960 and 1969.

afgeo4

I'm completely hung up on:

WW2: P-38 Lightning
Vietnam: F-4J Phantom
Cold War: A/O-10 Warthog
Modern: Su-30MK Flanker-C
Civilian: BA-609 tilt-rotor
Rotary: S-76D twin
GEORGE LURYE

bricktonfire

P-51, F-16 B52 Megaforcetise(from Dale Brown books) and the A-10 and the little bird and blackhawk

PORed

F-4 Phantom II, A-1 Skyraider, A-10 Thunderbolt, pretty much anything that flew or flys Wild Wessel.

linerfan

Has to be the F-4 Phantom in any and all variants, also like the F-18 and the F-16 somewhat. A-6, A-4 and  A-1 have always been some defenite favs. For the overseas ones I'd have to say the Fishbed and Flanker. Basically everything that flew in 'Nam, and no, I didn't fight in it. I agree with the B-58 Hustler, that thing's awesome, and the Vulcan.

JAFO78

It has to be the P 51 Mustang. We have Crazy Horse here in Kissimmee. Love hearing her fly by.   :P

My second choice any airliner, as that has been part of my other life, OK 737's

Third choice any military plane. Saw "FiFi' once OMG.  ::)

8)
JAFO

Stonewall

All time favorite:   F4 Phantom (this one is from VF-74, assigned to my dad's old carrrier)

A close 2nd place:  A7 Corsair

And 3rd place:  A1 Skyraider

Favorite Rotary Wing:   MH53 Pave Low
Serving since 1987.

N Harmon

My favorites include:

Grumman F-14 Tomcat

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird

This is my photo, which I've published under a free-use license. Click on photo for more info.

AĆ©rospatiale-BAC Concorde

Boeing 747

Douglas DC-3
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Climbnsink

1. Pretty much any sailplane.
2. Pretty much any helicopter.
3. Airplanes eh not so much.

Timbo

A neighbor built an "aerocopter" from PVC pipe and radioshack parts last summer.  He flew it into the side of the elementary school from the soccer field where he attempted to take off.  So, he still gets that "behind the back" laugh at the grocery store, which is kind of sad.

He is attempting to build an "aeroglider" this winter in his garage, and I stopped by a few weeks ago to see his progress.  I have got to say these homebuilt aircraft are far more awesome than anything commercially built.

BTW....he is going to have is maiden take off when we have the block party/ street carnival this summer.  It will be awesome, around 200 hundred people, half drunk all watching this guy try to lift out of the soccer field while trying to clear the elementary school. 

He bought the plans on line, has no knowledge of anything aerospace related, and still loves it.  I might try what he is doing someday.

♠SARKID♠

If you do, I have three words for you - "Ballistic Recovery System"

Rob Sherlin

I've seen a lot of "kit aircraft" that are pretty cool. But, to hop in anything short of a simulator with no flight experience whatsoever, is almost suicidal.

Favorites........

Fokker Dr.1
     Sopwith Camel
     Mustang
     Spitfire
     Hellcat
     Lightning
     Phantom
     Falcon
     Raptor
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

PHall

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 22, 2008, 02:09:21 AM
If you do, I have three words for you - "Ballistic Recovery System"

We've had a fair number of Cirrus Aircraft with the "Ballistic Recovery System" go down here in California in the past couple of years.
Not one of them had the chute deployed....

DNall

P51 Mustang
A1 Skyraider
A10 Warthog

AH-64

hmm... kinda tends toward attack huh. Wounder if that relates to my job in any way.

tarheel gumby

Here's mine just one of those unique aircraft that I saw in 1976 when the HMS Ark Royal made a port call to Mayport NS.
Fairy Gannett AEW the Royal Navy's answer to the Hawkeye
I also like the Blackhawk
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

JAFO78

I forget a couple. I wish I could post a photo of each, but I don't know how to do it.

Me 262 WW 2 German Jet Fighter

North American F-86 Sabre. 

8)
JAFO

hatentx

Quote from: DNall on December 22, 2008, 06:57:45 AM
P51 Mustang
A1 Skyraider
A10 Warthog

AH-64

hmm... kinda tends toward attack huh. Wounder if that relates to my job in any way.

Finally someone saying the Apache...

The rest of those pilots in helos like to hold hands.   Got to have a mans helicopter...  then again when you get shot at in any helicopter it is scary and I held the guy next to me a few times as the pilots got us the heck out of there

Hawk200

I like the UH-60L BlackHawk. (Might be because I work on them  :))

The LUH-72 Lakota might be an additional, depends on what it's like.

Fixed wing:
O-2B, (yes, the Psy War model, maybe I just want to play my music for everybody), and the Cessna 337 civilian model

Cessna 172 (I like the Sky Sentinel STC, probably because of it's rarety and most people never even heard of them)

De Havilland DHC-2 Beaver

Stinson 108

L-19 "Bird Dogs"

C-17

Might develop some interest in the C-27. Will have to see them.

Piper Pacers

Piper Cubs, especially Super Cubs.

My overall favorite, simply for the remarkable STOL characteristics in the Wren STOL. Originally, a 182 STC, I believe complete birds are now produced by a company other than Cessna. May consider owning one if I can ever afford it.