Something to wear while flying

Started by stratoflyer, August 15, 2008, 11:44:48 PM

stratoflyer

I've been considering buying a flight suit to wear while flying with CAP. But it is a tad over my budget. Any alternatives?

I understand there is the CAP dark blue utility suit that is very similar to the green flight suit. And that there is also a dark blue NOMEX flight suit. I looked at used green flight suits, but some are in bad condition, and the better ones are still over $100. For that money, I rather get something new.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

JC004

Sometimes you can get great deals on used stuff.  Did you look on ebay? 

stratoflyer

Yeah, bunch of Halloween costumes and suits that don't fit.

FW

There's always the gray slacks and polo combo.  Slacks can be found for about $15-20 and shirt $20-35 depending on type. 

RiverAux

You can get all cotton flight suits for a very reasonable price. 

Eclipse

The dark blue utlility jumpsuit is fine for flying, and unless someone holds an ignition source against you, no one can tell the difference. ~$35 to buy and $50 w/ insignias, etc.

Otherwise, stick w/ the golf shirt.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

If you're gonna get the dark blue utility uniform (aka faux blue flight suit), buy the Tru-Spec version. The version sold by Vanguard and The Hock is made by Rothco and sucks in quality. It's also available in sage green to substitute for the NOMEX green bag.

Here's a linky: http://www.tacgear.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=157&idproduct=621

Select 'Navy' for the dark blue.

Patch and velcro placement same as the flight suit. See my revised CAP Flight Dress Uniform Guide
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 15, 2008, 11:59:14 PM
Yeah, bunch of Halloween costumes and suits that don't fit.

Use CWU-27/P as a search term for used green Nomex bags.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Depends on where you live. If you were in Pacific region you wouldn't have to wonder what to wear, it's Nomex or don't fly.

ßτε

Quote from: PHall on August 16, 2008, 02:36:31 AM
Depends on where you live. If you were in Pacific region you wouldn't have to wonder what to wear, it's Nomex or don't fly.

Do you have a reference with which to back that up?

afgeo4

I got a used flight suit at an army/navy store. Still had the velcro attached and all. Cost? $40. Yes, it's Nomex.

You can also see if your unit has an Air Force/ANG base nearby. They normally throw away used suits and will be happy to let you pick one up from them. That's how I got my flight jacket.
GEORGE LURYE

lordmonar

That supplement has been rescinded. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on August 16, 2008, 03:11:59 AM

Recinded for rewrite because the CAPR 60-1 was revised last February.

Pat, you know as well as I do that a supplement is voided when the regulation/manual it supplements is revised.
And the CAPR 60-1 was revised in Feb 2008.

And for BTE, the nomex requirement was in the PACR Supplement to CAPR 60-1.

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on August 16, 2008, 05:17:42 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 16, 2008, 03:11:59 AM

Recinded for rewrite because the CAPR 60-1 was revised last February.

Pat, you know as well as I do that a supplement is voided when the regulation/manual it supplements is revised.
And the CAPR 60-1 was revised in Feb 2008.

And for BTE, the nomex requirement was in the PACR Supplement to CAPR 60-1.

NVWG has never followed that part of the supplement anyway. ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

You all can claim to have NOMEX, but after about 6-10 washes, the NOMEX is all washed out......

SarDragon

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 16, 2008, 12:28:31 PM
You all can claim to have NOMEX, but after about 6-10 washes, the NOMEX is all washed out......

HUH?  ??? ??? ???

Missing a sarcasm tag here?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

W3ZR

Try one wash in the wrong cleaner, and the protections are *poof*.

Not so much the fabric burning, but all the chemicals/lint you added to it in the washing
will burn.  Nomex wont burn by itself without help.

Robert Montgomery, soon to be former Captain, CAP

Hawk200

Say what? If you're serious, then here's some light reading:

http://www2.dupont.com/Personal_Protection/en_US/products/Nomex/nomexind/nomex_industrial_faq.html#1QD

Pay special attention to questions 5 and 7. There are some things that will degrade Nomex itself, but washing them isn't one of them. Which is why it's been utilized by the military extensively for years.

When washing Nomex garments, it's usually smart to run it through an extra rinse cycle just to get any left over detergent out, and don't use fabric softeners or dryer sheets. If nomex is stiff, then wash it inside out. When it's done drying, leave it in the dryer on a "no heat" setting for a little while. Softens it up a little.

Smokey

Also try    www.flighthelmet.com

Limited sizes but some are new/unissued for about $75.00 including Navy Blue for the fat & fuzzies.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

a2capt

I frequently see non-issued, 'new', etc- CWU/27-P on eBay for under $50 including getting it to you.

Just search for 'CWU', and you'll see it all - some people don't list the 27, p, etc.. and eBay searches ignore slashes / and dashes.

stratoflyer

Great suggestions guys! Here's the part that bugs me--plastic encased rank on the green bag...yuk! How are those attached anyway?

The blue utility uniform gets dark blue embroidered rank, right?

And here is my little $0.02 on NOMEX--I fly the same exact type airplane very often wearing nothing but cotton/polyster blends. Been doing that for 6 years. And the accidents I've heard about don't catch fire. So why wear NOMEX--IMHO a 172 ain't gonna catch fire unless you got a long list of things going wrong. Again, just a thought--I will happily stand corrected if someone can convince me that for some reason I should use NOMEX flying in a CAP airplane and civi's for my FBO airplanes.

SilverEagle2

Most of the accidents I have heard of here involved fire.

Heck one CAP check pilot here lost his personal plane while doing a runup due to fire.

I for one want the great insurance. Error on the safe side in my book.

The plastic encased is sewn on to the flight suit.

"Keep the dirty side down!"
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman