Main Menu

Online Masters Degree

Started by James Shaw, May 27, 2008, 06:52:17 PM

James Shaw

How applicable would the online masters through the Air University really be unless you are in the reserves or active duty military. What would the equivelent be for the civilian world. I have been researching Master's programs and like the idea of it being free but is it really useable?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

mikeylikey

YES!  Free MastersDegree offered by AU is a huge benefit for CAP Officers of the Major or higher category.  I think you missed the window by about 1 month, but get your name on the list!  I signed up, as "Officer from another Service". 

This is a real accredited degree.  If only to say "I have a Masters Degree".  It is an achievement that less than 16 percent of our fellow citizens undertake (US DEPT of EDUCATION). 

Plus, if you are taking the DL course for CAP/PME credit, you might as well see if you can get into the Masters Program! 

I am not sure how you are set on job or anything, but people with Masters Degrees do get more Cash than their Bachelor Degree counterparts. 

Plus, just think of what your Masters Degree will be in.  It will accentuate a resume, and stand out more than say an MBA.  (But it does depend on your career field, I suppose).

Finally, a Masters is a Masters.  It is just as relevant to have this one for a civilian as it would be for AD. 
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2008, 07:06:47 PM
YES!  Free MastersDegree offered by AU is a huge benefit for CAP Officers of the Major or higher category.  I think you missed the window by about 1 month, but get your name on the list!  I signed up, as "Officer from another Service". 

This is a real accredited degree.  If only to say "I have a Masters Degree".  It is an achievement that less than 16 percent of our fellow citizens undertake (US DEPT of EDUCATION). 

Plus, if you are taking the DL course for CAP/PME credit, you might as well see if you can get into the Masters Program! 

I am not sure how you are set on job or anything, but people with Masters Degrees do get more Cash than their Bachelor Degree counterparts. 

Plus, just think of what your Masters Degree will be in.  It will accentuate a resume, and stand out more than say an MBA.  (But it does depend on your career field, I suppose).

Finally, a Masters is a Masters.  It is just as relevant to have this one for a civilian as it would be for AD. 

Mikey:

What is the Master's from the AU in?
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 27, 2008, 07:16:16 PM
Mikey:

Master of Military Operational Art and Science Degree

sign up is a snap as well.  You provide your email, if you are military they check against DEERS (if you are Major Select or been on the list, like me) they request verification from your AD/Reserve proponent.  You don't have to do anything.  Speaking to others, if you are CAP, they send an email to NHQ, and request verification.  You do have to register on their site first, and that is really simple as well.  Then you get an email back stating if you got in, if not and the reasons why.  They also send a bunch of other info if you did not get in.  I originally did not get in, resent my app, and noticed when I originally sent the app on line I selected CPT, not Major Select on the pull down list. 
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Problem is...
To get a Masters, one must first have a Bachelors.
While I have several years towards a Bachelors, I don't have it;
and I doubt my Associates would be enough to apply.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

dwb

The ACSC Masters program isn't open to CAP yet, not to my knowledge.

I considered applying for it when it does become available.  It is a Master's degree, but not one that would be directly applicable to most civilian jobs.

Still, I found that SOS was a valuable experience, even if it doesn't directly apply to my day job.  I imagine the ACSC Masters would be the same.

SAR-EMT1

It may not be directly applicable to a civillian job, HOWEVER, a Masters in anything will increase your paycheck (as long as your job isnt certification oriented like mine)

Also, any classes from AFIADL will make good bullet points on your resume.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: dwb on May 27, 2008, 07:49:02 PM
I considered applying for it when it does become available.  It is a Master's degree, but not one that would be directly applicable to most civilian jobs.

As the site lead for a multinational corporation, I will tell you that it is far easier to waive the concentration area of your masters than it is to get the lack of a masters waived.  We pay significantly better for a masters than we do for a baccalaureate degree.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

mikeylikey

I always looked at degrees like this.  It is not what area you specialized in that is important, a degree is granted upon successful completion of a specific educational program.  That program is designed to give the student (and graduate) the ability to do four things;

First, is research.  That lumps together the ability to determine what information you need, and where to look for it.  Medical Doctors do not know everything about their specialty.  They do however know where and how to research and gather information that is relevant.

Second, the ability to interact with others.  Communication is a big factor in being a successfull person either in your career or having a family or even just living in your community.  Going to advanced schooling gives the student a means to learn how to accept others opinions, postulate opinions, back them up with research, know how to present them and how to accept feedback.

Third, confidence building.  Working toward something that takes years to complete is much more satisfying than having something handed down to you.  Advanced schooling gives the student that sense of accomplishment which he or she can use for other endeavors in life.  Life is not easy, and hard work does pay off.  This is a reenforcement of that principal.

Finally, advancing interests.  Everyone is interested in something.  We need to expand on our interests, or eventually they will not be very interesting to us anymore.  Education is a means to advance our interest in a particular subject or subjects.  We better our interest, and we better ourselves in the process.

Bachelor Degrees, Masters Degrees and Doctorates are considered generalized degrees.  I use again Medical Doctors.  You may get a Doctorate in Internal medicine, but you eventually specialize in another area of practice.  Same is true for all degrees.  An MBA is a generalized degree as the graduate still only has a degree in Business Administration, but that person will most likely specialize in something particular in their career, be it International Business or Logistics.

Degrees do not make the person, the degree only shows that the person is capable of finding information, communicating with others, confidently using information and has an interest in a particular generalized field. 

Now, I also have to say that advanced degrees are in no way what we should use to judge others on.  I have met many men and women who did not even graduate eighth grade, but went on to be very successfull in their communities and careers. 

If someone does have the opportunity to pursue an advanced degree......one should take that opportunity.  It is a true experience that if you have not participated in, can not really be appreciated.

What's up monkeys?

ColonelJack

And if you want to go forward to a higher degree, a Master's in anything is a prerequisite.  I'm working on my doctorate now; couldn't do it without my M.Ed.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Cecil DP

I took ACSC twenty years ago. I wonder if any of it could be credited towards the requirements for the Master's.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

mikeylikey

^ Unfortunately no.  AND to boot, if you already have a Masters Degree awarded by the military the AF will not be awarding a second Masters Degree through this program to you.  That is a real kick in the but for some folks. 
What's up monkeys?

Tubacap

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2008, 07:32:13 PM
Mikey:

sign up is a snap as well.  You provide your email, if you are military they check against DEERS (if you are Major Select or been on the list, like me) they request verification from your AD/Reserve proponent.  You don't have to do anything.  Speaking to others, if you are CAP, they send an email to NHQ, and request verification.  You do have to register on their site first, and that is really simple as well.  Then you get an email back stating if you got in, if not and the reasons why.  They also send a bunch of other info if you did not get in.  I originally did not get in, resent my app, and noticed when I originally sent the app on line I selected CPT, not Major Select on the pull down list. 

Do you know any CAP Major who has been accepted?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

mikeylikey

^Not as of yet.  But the time frame was open for CAP Majors to enroll.  They may be out there. 
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2008, 07:32:13 PM
Mikey:

John Kachenmeister B.S., M.M.O.A.S. ?  Seems like a lot of letters to type!  Do you have a link?  I couldn't find it on the AU website the last time I looked, and the base education center was clueless about it.

O-Rex

M.M.O.A.S??  I wouldn't even bother: most folks drop the initials after the novelty wears off and then only use it when or where appropriate.

I don't know what everyone else's experience is, but from folks I know, a fairly high percentage of CAP members who start ACSC or SOS don't finish their first time around, if at all.  My advice to those who plan on enrolling is to prepare to spend some serious study time-it's NOT ECI-13.  For those who have the "sticktoitiveness," resume and marketability aside, it's just a great feeling to have a real mil advanced PME in your magic bag of tricks.

Mikey: Congrats on getting in!  You have to be one of the first CAP members to enroll.  I think we'd all be interested in how it goes, particularly since the program is still in its infancy please keep us in the loop-Good luck!.

Fifinella

Hmmm.  Here's the reply I got on 14 May from AU:

Subject:    RE: ACSC Online Master's Program
Date:    Wed, 14 May 2008 15:45:16 -0500
To:   "Judy LaValley"

Ma'am,

That date has not yet been set for sister services.  Continue to
monitor our website for updates. Thanks.

Jo

DSN 493-7902/03
COMM 334-953-7902/03
FAX # 4003

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:23 PM
To: ACSC/DL Masters
Subject: ACSC Online Master's Program

Sir/Ma'am,

When will Civil Air Patrol officers have the
opportunity to apply for this program?

V/R,

Judy LaValley

JUDITH B. LaVALLEY, Capt, CAP
Commander, Barksdale Composite Squadron

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Fifinella

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 28, 2008, 12:47:02 AM
^ Unfortunately no.  AND to boot, if you already have a Masters Degree awarded by the military the AF will not be awarding a second Masters Degree through this program to you.  That is a real kick in the but for some folks. 
The website actually says one is not eligible for the program if s/he already has completed ACSC AND already has a Master's.  Read it carefully.  Already having a Master's is not, by itself, disqualifying.  (Although I don't know for certain if the military will pay for the second if they already paid for the first.)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

sandman

While not completely online (two weeks on campus once a quarter), here is another program for some of you to consider:

Naval Postgraduate School: Center for Homeland Defense and Security

v/r

LT

BTW....You are eligible if you are in CGAUX....
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

isuhawkeye

now thats an incredible program. 

Several senior officials within my state are currently enrolled

RiverAux

QuoteBTW....You are eligible if you are in CGAUX....
Do you have a definitive citation for that?  The page you gave mentioned the CG, but I think this might rule out going based only on being an Auxie:

QuoteEmployed full-time by a local, tribal, state, or federal government agency or the U.S. military, and have homeland security experience and responsibilities;

sandman

Quote from: RiverAux on May 29, 2008, 01:03:44 PM

QuoteBTW....You are eligible if you are in CGAUX....
Do you have a definitive citation for that?  The page you gave mentioned the CG, but I think this might rule out going based only on being an Auxie:

QuoteEmployed full-time by a local, tribal, state, or federal government agency or the U.S. military, and have homeland security experience and responsibilities;

As far as I know this still applies:

R 111925Z OCT 06 ZUI ASN-A00284000008 ZYB
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//G-X//
TO ALCOAST
BT
UNCLAS //N01524//
ALCOAST 498/06
COMDTNOTE 1524
SUBJ: POSTGRADUATE TRNG: MASTER OF HOMELAND SECURITY (MHS) PROGRAM
A. 5 USC 4108
1. OVERVIEW: CONSISTENT WITH THE COMMANDANTS EMPHASIS ON PREPARING
OUR PEOPLE TO MEET OUR HOMELAND SECURITY NEEDS, THE CG IS
ANNOUNCING THE NEXT OPPORTUNITY FOR APPLYING TO THE MASTERS DEGREE
IN HOMELAND SECURITY LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM DEVELOPED BY
THE DHS OFFICE OF DOMESTIC PREPAREDNESS (ODP) AND THE NAVAL
POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL (NPS) IN MONTEREY, CALIFORNIA.  THE PURPOSE OF
THIS PROGRAM IS TO DEVELOP FUTURE LEADERS FOR ORGANIZATIONS
RESPONSIBLE FOR HOMELAND SECURITY.  WITHIN THE DEPARTMENT OF
HOMELAND SECURITY (DHS), ODP HAS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF PREPARING
LOCAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL RESPONDERS FOR ACTION FOLLOWING AN
EMERGENCY INCIDENT AND IS THEREFORE THE LEAD AGENCY IN SELECTING
APPLICANTS FOR THIS PROGRAM.
2. DESCRIPTION OF PROGRAM AND REQUIREMENTS:
A. APPLICANTS WHO ARE SELECTED UNDER THIS SOLICITATION WILL BE
ENROLLED IN AN 18-MONTH DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAM STARTING IN
FEBRUARY 2007 LEADING TO A MASTER OF ARTS IN HOMELAND SECURITY
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT WITH ALL TUITION AND OTHER COSTS (INCLUDING
TAD) PAID BY ODP.  APPLICANTS APPLY DIRECTLY TO NPS PER PARA 4
BELOW, THERE WILL NOT BE A CG SELECTION BOARD PROCESS FOR THIS PG
PROGRAM.
B. THIS IS A DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAM, THEREFORE PERMANENT
TRANSFER OF PERSONNEL WILL NOT BE REQUIRED.  HOWEVER, TWO-WEEK TAD
RESIDENCE PERIODS AT NPS WILL BE REQUIRED EVERY SEMESTER, THESE
WILL BE FUNDED BY ODP.  PERSONNEL APPLYING FOR THIS PROGRAM MUST
ASSURE THAT THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND WILL SUPPORT THEIR ABSENCE FROM
NORMALLY ASSIGNED DUTIES FOR THESE TAD RESIDENCE PERIODS.  IT IS
EXPECTED THAT COURSE WORK AND COMMUNICATIONS AMONGST STUDENTS AND
FACULTY MAY REQUIRE BETWEEN 15 TO 20 HOURS PER WEEK OF EFFORT
OUTSIDE OF NORMAL WORKING HOURS. COMMANDS ARE ENCOURAGED TO GRANT
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS ANY WORK-HOUR FLEXIBILITY POSSIBLE TO
COMPLETE THIS CHALLENGING PROGRAM.
3.  SUGGESTED CANDIDATES:
A. THE FOCUS OF THIS PROGRAM IS TO FORM A NETWORK OF LOCAL, STATE,
AND FEDERAL AGENCIES FOR RESPONDING TO LOCAL INCIDENTS. BECAUSE
THERE IS A STRONG NEED FOR FUTURE CG SENIOR LEADERSHIP TO POSSESS
THE SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE THIS COURSE OFFERS, AND BECAUSE OTHER
AGENCY APPLICANTS ARE USUALLY MORE SENIOR PEOPLE, THE FOCUS OF THIS
OFFERING IS TO ATTRACT SENIOR MILITARY AND GS PERSONNEL.
APPLICANTS SHOULD BE OFFICERS,ENLISTED OR CIVILIANS AT THE LEVEL
OF LCDR/CDR/CAPT, E8/E9 OR GS 12/13/14/15.
B. ALTHOUGH INDIVIDUALS WITH THESE BACKGROUNDS WILL BEST COMPETE
AGAINST FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL-LEVEL FIRST RESPONSE OFFICIALS
FOR THIS EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY, THIS DOES NOT PRECLUDE ANY MEMBER
OF TEAM COAST GUARD - MILITARY (ACTDU OR RESERVE), CIVILIAN, OR
AUXILIARY - FROM SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION IF THEY DESIRE.
  TO DATE
WE HAVE PROVEN SUCCESSES FROM CANDIDATES AS JUNIOR AS 03 AND AS
SENIOR AS 05.
C. PROVEN EXPERTISE IN HS-RELATED FIELDS, OBJECTIVELY MEASURED
LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL, AND EXCELLENT ACADEMIC SKILLS ARE A FEW OF
THE ODP STUDENT SELECTION CRITERIA.  THEREFORE IT WOULD BE
BENEFICIAL TO MENTION ANY LEADERSHIP OR RESPONSE EXPERIENCE ON YOUR
APPLICATION.
4.   APPLICATION PROCESS:
A. THE ON-LINE APPLICATION PROCESS CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.CHDS.US.
SELECT "APPLICATION" FROM THE MENU BAR AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE TO
BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS.  AS THE COAST GUARD IS PART OF DHS
AND ELIGIBLE FOR ODP FUNDING, ALL CG APPLICANTS MUST APPLY AS A
"FEDERAL EMPLOYEE" RATHER THAN AS A MILITARY OFFICER TO QUALIFY FOR
THIS FULL FUNDING (NOTE DOD SERVICE OFFICERS ARE REQUIRED TO PAY).
B.  THIS IS AN EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE AND CHALLENGING PROGRAM.  THE
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION FOR ADMISSION TO GRADUATE STUDY IS A 3.0 GPA
IN COURSE WORK PRODUCING THE MOST RECENT DEGREE, HOWEVER THOSE WITH
A GPA BELOW THAT LEVEL MAY BE CONSIDERED IF THEY HAVE EXTRAORDINARY
QUALIFICATIONS IN OTHER AREAS THAT COULD COMPENSATE FOR THEIR
ACADEMIC RECORD.
C.  THE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS 01 DECEMBER 2006.  INTERESTED
PERSONNEL SHOULD APPLY DIRECTLY TO NPS VIA THE WEB SITE LISTED - DO
NOT GO THROUGH NORMAL USCG PG MEANS AS THIS IS NOT A CG OWNED AND
OPERATED PG PROGRAM. IF SELECTED BY ODP FOR ACCEPTANCE INTO THE MHS
PROGRAM, PERSONNEL SHALL NOTIFY THE PROGRAM MANAGER AND PROVIDE A
COMMAND ENDORSEMENT (EMAIL FROM COMMAND IS ACCEPTABLE) STATING
COMMAND SUPPORT OF TAD AND WORK HOUR FLEXIBILITY THAT THE MHS
PROGRAM MAY REQUIRE.  APPLICANTS NEED NOT INFORM THE PROGRAM
MANAGER OF THEIR INTENT TO APPLY, BUT MUST NOTIFY UPON ACCEPTANCE.
5.  NOTES:
A.  THERE ARE NO DESIGNATED FOLLOW-ON BILLETS AT THIS TIME,
HOWEVER THE EXPERTISE GAINED DURING THIS PROGRAM WILL LIKELY BE
CONSIDERED BY ASSIGNMENT OFFICERS WHEN CONSIDERING FUTURE
ASSIGNMENTS FOR MILITARY GRADUATES.  ALL GRADUATES (MILITARY AND
CIVILIAN) WHO ACCEPT ASSIGNMENT TO THIS PROGRAM WILL INCUR A 36-
WEEK POST-TRAINING SERVICE REQUIREMENT IAW REF B (3 FOR 1 PAYBACK
OF TIME SPENT IN RESIDENCE AT NPS (APPROX 12 WEEKS OVER THE 18-
MONTH PERIOD)).  ACCEPTANCE OF THIS SERVICE REQUIREMENT SHALL BE
INCLUDED WITH THE COMMAND ENDORSEMENT MENTIONED IN PARA 4.
B.  THERE ARE NO SLOTS "SET ASIDE" SOLELY FOR TEAM COAST GUARD
PERSONNEL FOR THIS PROGRAM.  ALL ATTENDEES ARE SELECTED THROUGH A
NATIONWIDE COMPETITIVE APPLICATION PROCESS FROM ALL ASPECTS OF
FIRST RESPONDERS, MILITARY SERVICES, STATE AND LOCAL OFFICIALS,
ETC.  THERE ARE NO "TABS" TO FILL AS IS COMMON IN CG-SPONSORED PG
PROGRAMS THAT ARE OFFERED TO CG PERSONNEL.  THIS PROGRAM IS BEING
ADMINISTERED ENTIRELY BY ODP AND NPS.  THE COAST GUARD IS MERELY
ADVERTISING ITS EXISTENCE TO TEAM COAST GUARD AND HAS NO PART IN
THE SELECTION OF APPLICANTS.  DURING PRIOR APPLICATIONS FOR
PREVIOUS CLASS STARTS, NUMEROUS CALLS AND E-MAILS WERE RECEIVED BY
THE PROGRAM MANAGER REQUESTING RELIEF FROM ODP STANDARDS.  PLEASE
UNDERSTAND THAT THE PROGRAM MANAGER IS NOT ABLE TO ALTER THE
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS OR THE APPLICATION PROCESS IN ANY WAY.
C.  MANY APPLICANTS HAVE ASKED THE PROGRAM MANAGER AND CGPC-OPM-1
HOW PARTICIPATION IN THIS DEGREE PROGRAM AFFECTS THE POTENTIAL
SELECTION FOR USCG-SPONSORED PG PROGRAMS.  CGPC--OPM-1 AND THE
PROGRAM MANAGER SHARE THE OPINION THAT AS THIS PROGRAM IS NOT
FUNDED BY THE CG NOR SHOULD IT TAKE AWAY FROM PERFORMANCE OF CG
DUTIES, IT WILL NOT PROHIBIT OR OTHERWISE NEGATIVELY AFFECT FUTURE
APPLICATION TO A CG-SPONSORED PG PROGRAM (MUCH LIKE A PG DEGREE
EARNED OFF-DUTY WOULD NOT AFFECT THE ABILITY TO APPLY FOR CG-
SPONSORED PG PROGRAMS).
6.  THE CG MHS PROGRAM MANAGER IS CDR MIKE CALLAHAN G-XPP-1, WHO
CAN BE REACHED AT 202-372-2680 OR AT MICHAEL.D.CALLAHAN (AT)
USCG.MIL.  ANY DETAILED QUESTIONS REGARDING THE MHS PROGRAM OR
APPLICATION PROCESS ITSELF ARE BEST ADDRESSED BY THE CONTACT POINT
FOR NPS, MS. HEATHER ISSVORAN, AT 831-656-2003, OR HISSVORA (AT)
NPS.EDU.
7.  INTERNET RELEASE AUTHORIZED.
8.  RDML J.L. NIMMICH, ASSISTANT COMMANDANT FOR POLICY AND PLANNING
SENDS.
BT

Message Link

Two locations:
1) Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
2) OPM's Eastern Management Development Center, Shepherdstown, WV

v/r

LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

isuhawkeye

The difference between cap, and the cg aux is that the coast guard views it as one team.  as such many of these programs do not diferentiate between active duty, and aux. 

RiverAux

Eagle400

Try American Public University (APU).

APU is part of the American Public University System, which consists of both APU and American Military University (AMU).

As an APU student, you can earn a Master's Degree from APU or AMU (and vice-versa).

All of their degrees are online, and undergraduate GPA is not a factor in admission to either APU or AMU.

I highly recommend them.

sandman

Okay, here's a couple more online programs for your consideration:

TUI University
and
Tiffin University

Both are endorsed by the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department: See link for "LASD University"

Also if you're interested in law school then check out this link (also through LASD University): Law Schools

/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

sandman

After thinking about it, I thought I would give several links to online programs for certificates and degrees (AA, AS, BA, BS, MA, MS, even PhD). So check it out if you are interested....

University Alliance
AIU
Bisk
Capella
Kaplan
Harvard University(two certificates online...an "online' degree requires one eight week on-campus program)
Loma Linda University
Southwestern Adventist University
University of Phoenix
University of Washington
Waldon University
California State University

Here's another interesting link that has an apparent comprehensive list:
Online Degree Lists

These are just a sample of many programs available. Some are more expensive than others. There are a few free Masters programs around (such as Naval Postgraduate School) and if you find them please share them on this thread!

Thanks,
/r

LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

sandman

In keeping with the aviation theme of this community, here's an interesting program for you to consider....yes it is online:

Masters in Aviation Science

...plus an online bachelors in aviation management and another in aviation technology....neat huh?

/r

LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

PhoenixRisen

For those listed, here's a list of degrees involving homeland security and counterterrorism-type studies:

http://www.elearners.com/online-degrees/homeland-security.htm

Duke Dillio

I'm currently enrolled at Devry University, finishing my bachelors in business administration.  I haven't taken one class at a campus yet....

sandman

Okay, for those who are in a budget and time crunch, here's a university for you:

(Warning: This is satire) >:D

Templar University

Here is your degree pathway:

Degree Program

BTW, I'm currently working on my PhD.

enjoy!

/r

LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

sandman

I was going to post this in the chaplain's thread, but they have enough problems.

So, we need chaplains and MLO's. Here's a program if you're interested:

(satire yet again   ;))

Universal Life Church

I have my Doctor of Divinity completed and am an ordained minister in ULC.

enjoy!

/r

LT
(Master Jedi)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

sandman

I'm having fun with this....

I thought I'd give you another place to earn your Doctor of Divinity degree as ULC tends to be too pantheocratic for some...

Saint Luke Evangelical School of Biblical Studies

/r

LT

(aka. Rev. LT, D.D. First International Church of the Web....and Master Jedi)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Duke Dillio

Yay, I'm gonna put in my paperwork to be a CAP chaplain with one of these.  Let's see how far that goes....    :angel:

Chaplaindon

Quote from: Sqn72DO on June 04, 2008, 11:42:00 PM
Yay, I'm gonna put in my paperwork to be a CAP chaplain with one of these.  Let's see how far that goes....    :angel:

Thankfully, it won't go far. Only those with a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree (e.g. a seminary degree) from a school of theology approved by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS), a very scrupulous credentialling entity, will be accepted for appointment as a CAP Chaplain.

It's quite literally the same requirement for a USAF chaplain appointment.

"Waiver chaplains" (those without a M.Div.) must have a Bachelor's Degree from an approved list of colleges and universities..

I know of several individuals who tried with "diploma mill" (undergraduate and graduate) degrees and were turned down by NHQ/HC.

Maybe, considering the calibre of leadership that the CAP Health Services program has at NHQ, you could buy a diploma-mill (or online) M.D. and become a flight surgeon.

Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Cecil DP

All this good stuff after I've spent a fortune on a Masters degree.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JohnKachenmeister

I might become a preacher just for fun.

Internet preachers don't have to take a vow of chastity, do they?

dwb

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 05, 2008, 07:28:28 AMInternet preachers don't have to take a vow of chastity, do they?

No, but I imagine a lot of people that spend their time getting ordained on the Internet probably take an involuntary one...

James Shaw

Quote from: dwb on June 05, 2008, 12:27:06 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 05, 2008, 07:28:28 AMInternet preachers don't have to take a vow of chastity, do they?

No, but I imagine a lot of people that spend their time getting ordained on the Internet probably take an involuntary one...

My stomach hurts after that one!!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)