Main Menu

Professional Reading

Started by Wildblueflyer, May 15, 2008, 12:55:28 PM

Wildblueflyer

I know CAP and USAF have PME reading lists, but does anyone know if there are free/low cost sources for the books?  The Library often doesn't have the books on the list.

jimmydeanno

Not sure about the "free" part, but amazon usually has used books for purchase - cheaper than new.

Also, on the library not having books, have you considered using the "inter-library loan system?"  Your particular library might not have the particular book you are looking for but if you check around at libraries anywhere you can ask yours to "borrow" their book.  Then they'll get it for you.  I used to do this all the time.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

dwb

Also, libraries have budgets to order books.  If you ask the librarian, they may be able to purchase something for you and let you know when you can check it out.

notaNCO forever

Also sea if anyone has the books in your squadron and if they will let you read them.

Pylon

If you go to a college or have access to a collegiate library, most of them subscribe to an InterLibrary Loan system.  I know when I was at Siena, I could ask for even the most obscure book and the librarians would track a copy down at a library maybe half-way across the country, pay to have it shipped to our school and loaned it to me for a few weeks.  Not too shabby for a free service.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DrJbdm

can anyone list the books on the CAP and USAF PME reading list?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: DrJbdm on May 15, 2008, 07:41:21 PM
can anyone list the books on the CAP and USAF PME reading list?

http://www.af.mil/library/csafreading/

There sorted according to category on the CSAF reading program page above.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Chappie

While serving on NSC staff during 2006 and 2007 was introduced to Air University Press (AU).  Students and staff of NSC were permitted to browse the "store" and pick up 5 books per day -- at no cost.  Found some great reading material there.  Here is the link to their site.  Note the books/papers/etc. are downloadable (.pdf) and better than that...free (downloads that is). 

http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Duke Dillio

Is a book one of those paper things with the pictures on the front and that typing stuff in the middle?  It's been so long since I picked one of those up.....

I can usually find lots of different titles online....

RiverAux

Quote from: Chappie on May 20, 2008, 07:39:03 PM
While serving on NSC staff during 2006 and 2007 was introduced to Air University Press (AU).  Students and staff of NSC were permitted to browse the "store" and pick up 5 books per day -- at no cost.  Found some great reading material there.  Here is the link to their site.  Note the books/papers/etc. are downloadable (.pdf) and better than that...free (downloads that is). 

http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/
5 free books each day for a week?  Maybe I'll consider going...

Tubacap

I never knew about AU Press, that is an outstanding resource!  After I'm done with my masters, it will definitely be a top download site for me.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

JC004

For new books, buy.com has good prices, generally better than Amazon.  I usually compare the two and buy from the lowest.  If you don't use the free shipping deal or other specials at buy.com, they will price match Amazon. 

Used is a good option too - either Amazon or Half.com.

Chappie

Among my favorites on Leadership:

Heirpower!  8 Basic Habits of Exceptionally Powerful Lieutenants - Bob Vasquez
Sharing Success Owning Failure - David Goldfein
AU2 - Guidelines for Command
Commanding an Air Force Squadron - Jeffrey Smith

These books have some great quotes:

Vantage Points - compiled by several individuals
Military AirPower - Charles Westenhoff

History, biographies:

They Served Here - Jeffrey Benton
On Celestial Wings - Ed Whitcomb
American Airpower Comes of Age: General "Hap" Arnold's World War II Diaries  
       (Vol. I and II) - John Huston

Other:

Military Chaplains as Peace Builders - Lee, Burke, Crayne
Understanding Islam and Its Impact on Latin America - Curtis Connell
Beating International Terrorism - Stephen Sloan
Conflict, Culture, and History: Regional Dimensions - Blank, Grinter, Magyar, Ware  
       and Weathers
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)